• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Look what my boss just bought me: New Wintersteiger Scout

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Very cool. I'm also so curious about economics. What do the expendables cost per tune? Are prices staying the same? Is it a competitive advantage or required to stay competitive? Probably TMI but fascinating.

And, where do you find a guy with a CS degree who can both tune and turn a ski to run it? :D

:roflmao:

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Very cool. I'm also so curious about economics. What do the expendables cost per tune? Are prices staying the same? Is it a competitive advantage or required to stay competitive? Probably TMI but fascinating.

And, where do you find a guy with a CS degree who can both tune and turn a ski to run it? :D

Tunes are staying the same price. Quality should go up for some stated reasons along with others that will remain private. Chuck is looking to expand the tuning business so we will hopefully be doing more tunes. The advantage is that one tech will be able to do a lot more tunes with this fully automated machine than with the other machines that required more tech time to actually get the work done.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tunes are staying the same price. Quality should go up for some stated reasons along with others that will remain private. Chuck is looking to expand the tuning business so we will hopefully be doing more tunes. The advantage is that one tech will be able to do a lot more tunes with this fully automated machine than with the other machines that required more tech time to actually get the work done.

As someone who spends a lot of time on your previous Wintersteigers (Sigma and Trimjet).....your new machine is f*in awesome. I would die to be able to use that baby on the multiple hundreds of tunes we do each season.

:drool:.....The Scout would be a dream! Good luck playing around....Have fun. If I’m in the area this winter, I will be stopping by.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I'm sure this is common knowledge...but which shop are you at in Breck? Or are you not allowed to post that info here?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
How thick is the owners/operators manual?

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

1/4 of an inch, maybe. We got a 4 hour session with two Wintersteiger techs so I haven't done more than crack the manual, yet. I'm applying the knowledge I have from them to do standard tunes.

I'll be reading about its various settings but it pretty much gives you complete control over structure. Depth, spacing (horizontally and vertically), length of pattern, length of cut, how wide on the ski (for margins, as illustrated in my structure photo above), speed of rotation and pressure of ski to stone.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, these are well into the three digits left if the comma.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm sure this is common knowledge...but which shop are you at in Breck? Or are you not allowed to post that info here?

I don't THINK it's a secret. A Racer's Edge on Lincoln.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Here is a sample of what it can do. Excellent tunes being done. We are still getting used to the options we have at our fingertips so while we are getting great results now, they will only get better.

View attachment 57344
The results look great!!! Just wondering about how much base/edge is removed and how many times can you do that to a ski? With our members that get so many days a season it seem it could shorten the life of the ski.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

The results look great!!! Just wondering about how much base/edge is removed and how many times can you do that to a ski? With our members that get so many days a season it seem it could shorten the life of the ski.

Thanks. I'm really excited about the range of base structures at our finger tips. When there is more skiing I'll be doing some base structure comparisons.

When a ski is new or in very good condition, a single pass with the edger on the side and base is enough to set and rejuvenate the edge. A pass or two over the stone for the structure. Not much material is removed. You could do that 10 or 20 times and not have the base or the edges get too thin.. I haven't worn out a ski of my own with frequent tunes although I have a lot of skis in rotation so take that for what its worth.

For skis that are in fair to poor shape, usually most of the work is needed to flatten the base so a fair amount of base material comes off, but only that in excess of the height of the edges. If it is edge high, then of course edges come off. Either way it is just enough to make the ski flat and the edges true.

I feel it is better to have your skis tuned (at least evaluated) more frequently than most people do. Skis will be nice longer with care and (IMO) last longer as well. A true bar and edge bevel guage used regularly will help you get the most of out your skis by being able to see when things are getting worn and addressing the problem when it requires minimal work than waiting until they ski like crap. Also remember, if your bases aren't flat, edge to edge, then stoning your edges to keep them sharp is going to change your bevels, theoretically making them higher bevels. If you are stoning your base edges with your base high, you are increasing your base edge bevels. That is one reason that base edge work is recommended in conjunction with a base grind: to insure a flat base for a reference point.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You could get a really nice Porsche for the price of one, according to Chuck.

I'm thinking I usually ski faster than I drive through rush hour traffic..... Argument could be made....

Got a degree, where do I apply for the position?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
The only place in the state that I'll allow to touch my skis has a Wintersteiger Mercury shuttle and a former Wintersteiger tech at the controls. Congrats on the new toy, hand tunes can't touch what that machine can do.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Honestly, I would pick Wintersteiger over Porsche any time, even if I don't have all that much of need for Wintersteiger these days... but neither do for Porsche :D You can't even put proper skis into Porsche :D
That’s why they invented roof racks!

What kind of savage puts the skis inside? :)

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
That thing, like others of it type are just sacrilegious.

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
I'll be stopping in in Feb. As a former ski tech from the 80's and 90's it's hard to trust your skis with anyone else but you need a machine to get a fresh start.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
@Doug Briggs, Just curious, how do those deally's grab a hold on a ski that has a other than flat top? How about a textured top as well.
It's really a lot like those supposedly super duper Montana machines.

Sponsor

Staff online