• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Look SPX 15 Rockerace question

Micah Roberts

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Is it possible to get a wider brake that will fit this heal piece?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is it possible to get a wider brake that will fit this heal piece?
Nope. The brakes for the Rocker Race are not interchangeable with other SPX/PX heels. Since the binding was developed to specifically to work on race skis, there was no wider brake produced.

TS
M

Micah Roberts

Skier
Thanks Phil. It is a shame as this looks like a great combo with that heal and the 1 piece toe.

James

Out There
Instructor
Personally, I hate it everytime I step in it. It can be very tough even with 315ish mm sole. Once in, it's fine. I wish they made the 18 in a lower Din spring, even at the 18 price, but Look is a stubborn mule.

TS
M

Micah Roberts

Skier
Personally, I hate it everytime I step in it. It can be very tough even with 315ish mm sole. Once in, it's fine. I wish they made the 18 in a lower Din spring, even at the 18 price, but Look is a stubborn mule.

Is it the SPX heel you don't like? Does it step in differently than the regular SPX heel found in the non race binding?

James

Out There
Instructor
Is it the SPX heel you don't like? Does it step in differently than the regular SPX heel found in the non race binding?
Despise the heel. No idea why you'd use it if you didn't have to. Maybe you have reasons. If you can use a Din 10, get the 18. Don't know about the "regular". No idea what that is, I suspect only the way it attaches to ski is different.
Again, once your in it doesn't matter. Some people don't have as much of an issue.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Rocker Race does go down to the 12 too.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 2020 Rockerace bindings now include plastic tabs at the back that fills in the rocker gap. Doesn't this defeat the purpose? Anyone know the reasoning behind it?

BTW, I think the heel mechanism was updated in some way; it's easier to step out and releasing the binding by hand won't cut your fingers off.

IMG_3134.jpg
IMG_3135.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Do those tabs go into a corresponding slot?
If not going into a slot, standby for them being called, "Power Tabs", "Turbo Tabs", etc.

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just installed the Rockerace 15 and noticed the change in the heel versus the SPX race bindings. Looks to me like the binding will still flex with the ski as the SPX did but maybe they just fine tuned the design.

FYI, the Rockerace 15 and 18 have the full metal toe, the 14 and 12 use a less beefy toe with more plastic but are still great bindings. Love my SPX 15s on my GS skis and don't expect the Rockeraces to perform any different.

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
A question for folks on this thread: With these bindings I understand that one is meant to mount the heels on a baseplate. Is it the same for the toe? I googled some photos and it appears the answer is yes, but would love to get confirmation here.

Context: I have a pair of Rockerace 15 heels that I'm considering using but would want to mount directly to the ski and pair with some Pivot 14 toes (also mounted directly to ski). That is, unless there's massive negative delta in this setup.

Thanks.

Last edited:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi @chopchop, Last season I started using Rockerace bindings mounted directly to my skis. This thread details how to make wider brakes if you need them and provides a link for mounting templates.

A Pivot 14 toe plus a Rockerace 15 heel is the same components as a Rockerace 12, just with different springs so you should be good.

I like Rockerace bindings enough that they are replacing Pivots in my lineup.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I just installed the Rockerace 15 and noticed the change in the heel versus the SPX race bindings. Looks to me like the binding will still flex with the ski as the SPX did but maybe they just fine tuned the design.
Given the back of the binding isn't screwed down, it should actually allow the ski to flex more, hence the design change.

I dig the 15's as well, not much more than the 14 and lots more metal.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I got these last year off ebay. No store I went to had the Forza. The step in for the heel is much better than theon my older Rossi’s Master ski.

Look SPX 15 Rockerace Binding 2021[Forza,210000267302]
They look good on the Dynastar too-

View attachment 145842
View attachment 145841

so why is the difference in the step in James? The design looks identical to the SPX. The only difference is that the connecting bar - which attaches to the heel chassis rather than the heel piece - has been elimiNated. I may be missing something that has changed but I can’t see it. unfor I only have rockerace 18s here so can’t do a side by side comparo. Could removing the connector make that much difference in feel?

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
so why is the difference in the step in James? The design looks identical to the SPX. The only difference is that the connecting bar - which attaches to the heel chassis rather than the heel piece - has been elimiNated. I may be missing something that has changed but I can’t see it. unfor I only have rockerace 18s here so can’t do a side by side comparo. Could removing the connector make that much difference in feel?

Looking back over this thread I remembered I made a comment about it feeling smoother and wondered if the internals were updated even though the exterior was unchanged. This was the year they added the support tabs at the rear of the heel binding -- maybe this coincided with the name change from Rockerflex to Rockerace? It would be nice to have some confirmation from Look or at least a few more testimonials from users who didn't like the 15 before.

Honestly, something must have been improved. I dialed my bindings up to 15 DIN and they are still super easy to click in to and I only weigh 165.

The 2020 Rockerace bindings now include plastic tabs at the back that fills in the rocker gap. Doesn't this defeat the purpose? Anyone know the reasoning behind it?

BTW, I think the heel mechanism was updated in some way; it's easier to step out and releasing the binding by hand won't cut your fingers off.

View attachment 86189

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice deal on some Rockerace 15s. Forza fire color scheme no less.

I am having these delivered tomorrow. They go on my new Hero Masters. Cant wait.

Sponsor

Staff online