• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Look Pivot 18's + the 2019 Volkl M5 Mantra?

RollingLeaf

Booting up
Skier
Hey,

This is my inaugural Pugski post, so I hope it's worthy.

I recently purchased a pair of 2019 Volkl Mantra's (191). I skied on the 2018 and 2019 versions this year and I loved them both. I'm a bigger guy (6'5" and 295lbs) and was told I needed an all-metal pair of bindings to handle my weight. The Look Pivot 18 (2019) was recommended and I found a great deal, online, on a pair of the 115mm version. They should arrive tomorrow.

The reason for this post is I now wonder if the 115's might be too wide. The Mantra's width is 96mm, which leaves an extra 19mm. The range for the brakes is listed by Look at 95-115mm. I've never had a problem with bindings, but I've seen a few warnings, online, about brakes linking together or catching ski pants, which both lead to a heady crash.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Is this a real concern? Or should I now just focus on getting my legs in shape for 2019/20?

Cheers!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They make a 95mm brake for the Pivot. I use that up to a 100mm ski. With that said, the 115mm will be too wide. Not so much that it is just a 115mm on a 96mm ski, but the Pivot brakes have no rise to them which means they are very low and very much are susceptible to catching on the snow. While there are some brakes you can get away with this, the Pivots are not them, so persnally I do see it as a concern.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I doubt you genuinely need Pivot 18 just for your weight, but I don’t know what DIN setting you usually use.

That said, Pivot 18s are rad bindings. You absolutely need the narrower brakes though.

TS
RollingLeaf

RollingLeaf

Booting up
Skier
Many thanks for the speedy responses. It's been a while since I've bought skis. I thought about the 95mm version. It's only 1mm shy of the Mantra's. If I were to use this version, would it require special tweaking by a ski-tech? Would this leave them more prone to breakage?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Many thanks for the speedy responses. It's been a while since I've bought skis. I thought about the 95mm version. It's only 1mm shy of the Mantra's. If I were to use this version, would it require special tweaking by a ski-tech? Would this leave them more prone to breakage?
Nope. 95mm will fit it fine. Like I said, I use the 95mm up to a 100mm ski. No tweeking needed. I tech that knows the binding will also mount it a couple of MM short of the measured length of the boot. If the boot is a 325mm shell, mount to around a 320-322mm.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ Learned the latter the hard way in the fine print when I looked up the Look Pivot instalation manual online after a shop failed to subtract 4mm from the BSL :(.

I took your adivce, used the 95 brake Pivot / 98 waist ski. I also have a 95 brake Pivot / 88 waist ski and the excess overhang is a PITA when putting the two skis together base to base to go in a ski bag or on a rack. I cant imagine 115mm brake overhang on a 98 waist ski, would they even retract enough to tuck into and sit on the top of the ski when clicked in??? Last thing I need is getting tripped up with my ski pants catching onto the brake, already had it happpen with Marker Demo bindings when demoing skis and it wasn't fun or a laughing matter, TG no trees where in the way as it catapulted me!!!
... Honestly, IDK whats up with LOOK -
  1. mountainM
    · 3 months ago
    can i use a 95 brake on a 98 waist ski ?
    1. Look Customer Service
      · 3 months ago

Hi,

If your ski is 98 mm underfoot we would recommend the 115 mm brake width. You can have up to 20 mm of overhand (10 mm on each side). For more information, feel free to contact us at [email protected].

Thank You! The Rossignol Team!

0 people found this answer helpful. 0 people did not find this answer helpful.
      Helpful?

2. Michael
    · 3 months ago
    I have 100 waist skiis - looks like the range here is 95-115? seems really wide brake for a 100 ski. Is this correct? Can they be adjusted somehow?
    1. Look Customer Service
      · 3 months ago

Hi,

The LOOK PIVOT binding models only come in brake widths of 75, 95, 115, and 130 mm. If your ski is 100 mm underfoot, we would recommend the 115 mm brake. You can have up to 20 mm of overhang (10 mm on each side). For additional information, feel free to contact us at [email protected].

Thank You! The LOOK Team!

http://www.look-bindings.com/product/pivot-14-aw-b115-black-icon

Last edited:
TS
RollingLeaf

RollingLeaf

Booting up
Skier
I get the the impression manufacturers will tell you what they think you want to hear. This is why a forum like Pugski is important.

Thanks again for the input!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It would make too much sense for them to provide the actual inside brake width. Although most people probably already know that a 95 pivot fits up to 100 mm, common sense.

James

Out There
Instructor
It would make too much sense for them to provide the actual inside brake width. Although most people probably already know that a 95 pivot fits up to 100 mm, common sense.
There's not a whole lot of sense to that company. Drives everyone crazy.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It is more likely an issue if the brake is narrower than the ski than if it is wider. You can bend the arms of the brake to some degree, but it is a slightly risky proposition as brakes can break. (ha ha). Dry fit the bindings on the ski in the place where they would normally go. You'll know instantly if they are too wide or not. If it is too wide for your liking and you want to stick with it but bend it, put a boot in the binding (or hold the brake in the 'up' position) and try gently bending it so that it is closer to the ski. Aim for in and up (away from the base) and you'll get good results. Bending the brake when it is in the 'up' position makes the entire brake assembly more stable for bending.

FYI, When we change the brakes on the Pivot at the shop, we pull the binding from the ski, screw back out the arms attached to the binding lever, rescrew the arms into the new brake/pivot plate and then remount. It isn't the same as changing a brake on a traditional heel binding. This is how we get our replacement brakes for Looks; the include the pivot and ski mounting hardware along with the lower half of the arms. https://www.untracked.com/p5556c82b97lr-Froogle-look_rossignol_fks_pivot_brakes.html#chsku437498

6742.jpg

This video shows how to disassemble a Pivot to bend the brake. (NOT RECOMMENDED)

It is going to be a challenge from 5:30 on. The process in the video is dissembling the binding in a way that was not intended by the manufacturer. 'tweak the plate until things line up ...' is not something I want in instructions I'm following. About getting the spring back in place: 'Don't be impatient.Don't try to rush it. Just be really chill about it 'cause that's the only way you're going to get it to go in.'

Binding position, ski measurement and just generally laxity in design would negate the benefit of 'knowing' the width of the brake. Is the measurement in the 'up' position? The 'down' position. How much overhang does the ski's sidewall have? Is the sidewall vertical or sloped? You'll get an idea if it will work but nothing close to definitive.

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
'Don't be impatient.Don't try to rush it. Just be really chill about it 'cause that's the only way you're going to get it to go in.'

Brings back memories...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hey,

This is my inaugural Pugski post, so I hope it's worthy.

I recently purchased a pair of 2019 Volkl Mantra's (191). I skied on the 2018 and 2019 versions this year and I loved them both. I'm a bigger guy (6'5" and 295lbs) and was told I needed an all-metal pair of bindings to handle my weight. The Look Pivot 18 (2019) was recommended and I found a great deal, online, on a pair of the 115mm version. They should arrive tomorrow.

The reason for this post is I now wonder if the 115's might be too wide. The Mantra's width is 96mm, which leaves an extra 19mm. The range for the brakes is listed by Look at 95-115mm. I've never had a problem with bindings, but I've seen a few warnings, online, about brakes linking together or catching ski pants, which both lead to a heady crash.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Is this a real concern? Or should I now just focus on getting my legs in shape for 2019/20?

Cheers!

I would just use the Marker Jester. Great binding, sister company with Volkl?, and the brakes are VERY EASY to change if needed.

Reactions: BC.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would just use the Marker Jester. Great binding, sister company with Volkl?, and the brakes are VERY EASY to change if needed.
But he will have to wait till next year for a 100mm Royal brake. The 90mm Royal brake have very little range.

TS
RollingLeaf

RollingLeaf

Booting up
Skier
I did some research on the "Royals". I was told I was too heavy for most if not all of them. And I also noticed the discrepancy in widths with the Mantra. I think the LP 18 will work out.

We'll see...

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you change your mind....I have 2018-19 BNIB Jesters with a 110 brake that I need to get rid of if you want to swap. PM if interested. (you are definitely not “too heavy” for a Jester.)

Sponsor

Staff online