• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Look Pivot 14’s....adjustment range and mount questions

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am thinking about mounting Pivot 14 Fortas on a pair of Liberty V76’s. However, I have 2 pair of boots...one pair is 296 BSL and the other, 290.
I am fairly certain that once mounted for one of these BSL’s, there isn’t enough range on the arms to adjust to the other boot, especially maintaining correct forward pressure. Is it possible to mount for a 293 and adjust accordingly? Or is it better to just mount with, say, an Attack binding? Thanks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You should be good with the Pivot. Done right, you might be able to use both w/o adjusting them...might. Otherwise adjusting both arms every time might be a PITA.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Adjustment range is around 7-8mm total, so you could mount in the middle(293mm) and adjust slightly up or down from there. More hassle than a regular binding tab on a track for adjustment but could be done.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You should be good with the Pivot. Done right, you might be able to use both w/o adjusting them...might. Otherwise adjusting both arms every time might be a PITA.
So are you saying: Mount for a 293?

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love this binding, but I’m also wondering if I should just go Attack. A demo binding would be great, but not certain I can find someone with a jig.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes, mount for 293mm and as @Philpug mentioned, you might be in the “acceptable forward pressure range” on both boots without even adjusting them each time.

Edit-Just looked and the boot sole length Din range ends at 290mm and the next starts at 291mm, so maybe put in the values for both boot soles and split the difference. Maybe .5 Din difference between the 2 boots I’d guess.

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Published BSL and physical BSL sometimes vary just a little, physically measure both, the variances may not be as large as you suspect. Just remember 6mm is less than a 1/4inch, split that definitely less than an 1/8 inch. So a slight variation could work in your favor.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Split the difference. However keep in mind that getting the forward pressure correct with Pivots can be tricky, much more so if the shop guy doesn't have a lot of experience mounting pivots. I'd ask the shop guy to do a practice mount on a 2x4 or old ski just to be positive that they are indeed mounted with the heelpiece forward pressure in the + & - (293) middle range of the heelpiece.
If mounted where 293 BSL falls spot on WRT forward pressure, but you find the forward pressure to be not enough with the smaller 290 BSL and too much with the larger 296 BSL boot. It is easy to use a sharpie to mark the place where the side arm barrel should be for extended to for the larger BSL and again for the smaller BSL. Then no big deal to take a flat head screwdriver and adjust the total of 4 arm/cylinders to the corresponding mark when using one or the other pair of boots.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I think it might be easier to just kit up two pairs of V76s & Pivot 14s :roflmao:

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am about to buy skis mounted with Pivot 15 for a 296bsl. Can I adjust it to 308mm? They were mounted on the line, does this mean that after ajustement they will be at +0.5? I think it’s borderline and don’t want to redrill (skis are brand new and not that cheap)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I love this binding, but I’m also wondering if I should just go Attack. A demo binding would be great, but not certain I can find someone with a jig.

I dont like the Pivots. They are a pain to adjust to different boots and its not always possible even with boots that are pretty close in BSL. The rear heal piece can also be a pain to get into in deeper snow.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Flo
The boot would be -6mm after adjusting the heel but I’m doubting the heel will have that much play unless his boots weren’t mounted in the center of the heel range. So MAYBE but you might need a remount.

If so, you want to move the toe/heel 8mm plus from the old holes, so I’d just move the heel back 12mm and re-use the toe holes. You’ll be back that .6cm but that mount is very forward so it will be beneficial in pow anyway. I was plus 1cm on my Bibbys due to a previous mount and would have rather been -1cm.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
@Flo
The boot would be -6mm after adjusting the heel but I’m doubting the heel will have that much play unless his boots weren’t mounted in the center of the heel range. So MAYBE but you might need a remount.

If so, you want to move the toe/heel 8mm plus from the old holes, so I’d just move the heel back 12mm and re-use the toe holes. You’ll be back that .6cm but that mount is very forward so it will be beneficial in pow anyway. I was plus 1cm on my Bibbys due to a previous mount and would have rather been -1cm.
Ok, I think that I will buy them flat (I have a pair of pivot), try to reuse the holes first, and if I can't adjsut them I will move the heel piece back. How do you do to reuse the holes? Do you fill them with marine epoxy, and screw the bindings in? Do you let the epoxy to dry first? Thank you for your help.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ok, I think that I will buy them flat (I have a pair of pivot), try to reuse the holes first, and if I can't adjsut them I will move the heel piece back. How do you do to reuse the holes? Do you fill them with marine epoxy, and screw the bindings in? Do you let the epoxy to dry first? Thank you for your help.

You fill with glue(even wood glue works as you just use to seal the screws) and mount while the glue is wet. When you get the skis, you could measure existing screws holes to see if the heels were mounted in the middle of the heel range which is the standard when tech used a jig.

Usually a tech would use a jig lined up with the existing front holes and drill the new rear ones before remounting the toe pieces. Then the old heel holes are sealed with color matching plugs and the old toe holes and new heel holes are filled with sealant glue and then they are screwed in. Then fine tune the forward pressure and set DIN.

I’d personally just bring the skis and bindings to a tech with a pivot jig and they can tell instantly if they need to drill new heel holes and be responsible for properly setting the bindings up.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
You fill with glue(even wood glue works as you just use to seal the screws) and mount while the glue is wet. When you get the skis, you could measure existing screws holes to see if the heels were mounted in the middle of the heel range which is the standard when tech used a jig.

Usually a tech would use a jig lined up with the existing front holes and drill the new rear ones before remounting the toe pieces. Then the old heel holes are sealed with color matching plugs and the old toe holes and new heel holes are filled with sealant glue and then they are screwed in. Then fine tune the forward pressure and set DIN.

I’d personally just bring the skis and bindings to a tech with a pivot jig and they can tell instantly if they need to drill new heel holes and be responsible for properly setting the bindings up.
Thanks for the input. The guy told me that the black tubes on heel are right smack in middle and that I have 1cm to go back and that I should be fine... I will go to a shop anyway. I don't trust myself enough to risk my knees :D

Puck it

Cannon is my home
Skier
I have the same issue. I have a 313 and a 318 BSL but both are Head 27.5 boots. I split the difference on the adjust and have had no issue.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks for the input. The guy told me that the black tubes on heel are right smack in middle and that I have 1cm to go back and that I should be fine... I will go to a shop anyway. I don't trust myself enough to risk my knees :D

Good to hear!
Yes, about 8-10mm plus or minus adjustability on pivots with a bit of play on forward pressure “okay range”. Thinking you’ll be a hair out of range with a 12mm jump in boot sizes. Old holes will be sealed and hidden under the heel piece so you won’t even notice.

Reactions: Flo

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I dont like the Pivots. They are a pain to adjust to different boots and its not always possible even with boots that are pretty close in BSL. The rear heal piece can also be a pain to get into in deeper snow.

In deep snow I usually "help" the heel piece of my attack or pivot with my hand.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
I never mounted my own bindings but I bought a pair of pivot 15 this season and have a similar problem.

This is what I understand after my own research and talking to the shop guy.

The total adjustment range of Pivot is 22mm. In each adjustable arm, there are three hash rings. Top and the bottom ones are the adjustment limits.

You can start with the arm length at the middle hash ring, and mount the bindings for 293 BSL. Then try the 290 and 296 boots to see if the forward pressure is acceptable or not. If not, you just need to adjust each time when you switch the boots.

Good to hear!
Yes, about 8-10mm plus or minus adjustability on pivots with a bit of play on forward pressure “okay range”. Thinking you’ll be a hair out of range with a 12mm jump in boot sizes. Old holes will be sealed and hidden under the heel piece so you won’t even notice.
I am thinking about mounting Pivot 14 Fortas on a pair of Liberty V76’s. However, I have 2 pair of boots...one pair is 296 BSL and the other, 290.
I am fairly certain that once mounted for one of these BSL’s, there isn’t enough range on the arms to adjust to the other boot, especially maintaining correct forward pressure. Is it possible to mount for a 293 and adjust accordingly? Or is it better to just mount with, say, an Attack binding? Thanks.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I never mounted my own bindings but I bought a pair of pivot 15 this season and have a similar problem.

This is what I understand after my own research and talking to the shop guy.

The total adjustment range of Pivot is 22mm. In each adjustable arm, there are three hash rings. Top and the bottom ones are the adjustment limits.

You can start with the arm length at the middle hash ring, and mount the bindings for 293 BSL. Then try the 290 and 296 boots to see if the forward pressure is acceptable or not. If not, you just need to adjust each time when you switch the boots.

Not sure if you have the same issue as we solved with Wendy months ago or you’re just confirming what we said back then.

Most bindings are USUALLY mounted in the middle of the forward pressure/heel track range based on the boot sole size set in the binding jig and then the forward pressure is checked and fine adjusted with the customers boots after.
So in Wendy’s case, going in between her two boot sizes was recommended and hopefully the forward pressure “fine adjustment” wouldn’t even have to be reset each time as they would both still be in the acceptable range.

Regular “track” heel bindings have more adjustment capabilities usually near 30mm total travel vs the 20mm tops(most techs feel it’s lower than 20mm) of the Pivot but that’s only 10mm up(longer sole) or 10mm down(smaller sole). So Flo’s boots are just a hair out of the adjustment range(12 mm) vs the previous mount so best to just remount and then be able to have lots of fine adjustment range.

Sponsor