• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Test: Marker Phoenix Otis Carbon Helmet and 16:10+ Goggles

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 6.44.55 PM.png
In recent years, Marker has expanded its offerings into the helmet and goggle world. For 2017, its flagship is the Phoenix Carbon helmet designed with a lightweight Multi-Impact Adaptive Polymer (MAP), a three-part hybrid construction allowing 15 to 22% more absorption than traditional materials. That's a mouthful of techno information, so what does it all mean? That this is one advanced brain bucket.
Phoenix-Carbon-10x10cm.jpg
The Phoenix Carbon has different layers of materials integrated into a three-piece shell, which makes it one of the smartest helmets on the market. I am planning to never need to use all of its technology. On the head, the fit is snug and uniform and moves well with no movement or loss of comfort. Marker has followed the trend of using a magnetic closure that is easily adjustable and works seamlessly with or without gloves. The beauty is its simplicity: why all recreational helmets have not gone down this path is beyond me. The earpieces are warm and slightly contoured for comfort and compatible with different-sized speakers. I installed the Outdoor Research Universal Speakers in mine, and had no loss of comfort and minimal loss of outside sounds.

Helmets are no longer merely for safety; looks are just as important. I tend not to be a fan of basic black (too boring), but the Carbon top shell is done in a tasteful gloss and matte carbon finish with a white bottom and red accents; it's classy, timeless, and matches most every outfit by either complementing or contrasting depending on your taste. Marker has found a great balance of form and function.
Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 6.45.44 PM.png
The 16:10 is a large-fit goggle that doesn’t fit like one. Most are cumbersome and can look like a bay window on your face. The “large fit” does make a difference compared to other comparably sized goggles when it comes to peripheral vision. With some goggles, you still see the edge of the lens or reflection on the padding, but not with the 16:10+. You really have to look for any padding reflection, and Marker smartly uses dark-colored foam on the inside of the frame so there are minimal reflections against the lens. Marker also integrates MAP in the goggles; again, I hope I never need to test it out, but I can think of a few falls in which it would have helped disperse the energy from the impact.

Back to the lenses, my Signal Red-framed goggles were shipped with the Yellow Plasma Mirror as the main lens and the Clarity Mirror low-light lens as the + (extra). The Yellow Plasma, on the lighter side of the scale for a two-lens system, is very versatile and could be used as the only lens. For my older eyes, it has quickly become one of my favorites. I will say that swapping the lenses isn’t as easy as some systems, but with a little practice it becomes pretty intuitive. I would still suggest keeping a cloth handy for wiping off the fingerprints. The goggles do include a high-quality hard case and extra lens bag to keep things protected.

It is obvious that the Phoenix Otis and the 16:10+ goggles were designed to work together: the fit is accurate, the ventilation integration works as designed, and cosmetically they match perfectly. To me, that is as much as you can expect from any product. A brand reintroducing itself to this market segment is immediately becoming a force to be reckoned with and should be on anyone's radar.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Phil,
When you say "it has quickly become one of my favorites." are you talking about the Clarity Mirror low-light lens? or the Yellow Plasma? or both as a system? Was the Clarity Mirror low-light lens a significant improvement over other low-light lenses?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil,
When you say "it has quickly become one of my favorites." are you talking about the Clarity Mirror low-light lens? or the Yellow Plasma? or both as a system? Was the Clarity Mirror low-light lens a significant improvement over other low-light lenses?

I was referring to the Yellow Plasma, for a low light lens, it is very versatile. I great choice if you are in and out of trees. Both Lenses are actually very good for low light and it will really depend on how your eyes adjust but I tend to err on the lighter side of lenses that let more light in. I personally find it easier to squint a bit if the sun comes from behind a cloud than to strain to seee undulations in the snow.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug, any input on Marker's Ampire helmet?

I'm looking to replace my long in tooth Smith Vantage, and the Ampire seemed to fit well, with reasonable venting.

And it's available in RED!

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Damn. Looking for a helmet and that is nice looking. I need to see if they are around here to try on.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Mmm ... I wonder if these goggles are wide enough to be considered OTG goggles. I am shopping for OTG, and like you, Phil, I would prefer too much light rather than too little ...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I took the plunge on the Marker Ampire, and like it just fine. It's not as hot as my old Smith Vantage, and the fit system works well.

However, the retaining clip for the goggle bungee broke on Day 3. I emailed Marker USA, got a robot "thanks, you'll hear from us soon" message, and haven't heard a peep in nearly a week.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have been wearing this combo almost exclusively until we get some more test product in. The 16:10 goggle is jsut great. I really like the optics of the lens. If the stormy weather we have had of late, the flat light lens in the trees has been a great go to. The changing of the lenses isn't as easy as a Smith I/0 or an Anon magnetic but not too bad.

Sponsor