• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Review: Head Raptor 140 RS

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
I agree that you need a hair dryer to remove them. However, these are the MOST comfortable boots I’ve ever worn. My feet are skiing and they fit me like a glove. I can skin8 hours and hang out in the lodge afterwards without any complaints. Awesome boot.

Bill

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Fwiw, I haven't had too much trouble getting them off.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok, had these out through a -24*C day (pretty cold) and holy cow are these like strapping your feet in ice blocks!

Had the boot heaters maxed but it was so cold the cold was radiating through. Haven’t ever had my heels feel so cold. (Was fun trying to extract myself at the end of the day!)

Performance is great however.

The person who figures out how to do some voodoo to a boot that retains its performance characteristics AND is warm will make a fortune (never mind the ancillary applications to such voodoo).

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ok, had these out through a -24*C day (pretty cold) and holy cow are these like strapping your feet in ice blocks!

Had the boot heaters maxed but it was so cold the cold was radiating through. Haven’t ever had my heels feel so cold. (Was fun trying to extract myself at the end of the day!)

Performance is great however.

The person who figures out how to do some voodoo to a boot that retains its performance characteristics AND is warm will make a fortune (never mind the ancillary applications to such voodoo).
Show me a 96mm boot that isn't as you described...and you have earned a cookie. ;) There is a level of being realistic too. What creates warmth? Air (just look at down) but air is not a fit devise. Warmth and high performance in a ski boot is mutually exclusive.

Jaykato

Booting up
Skier
After reading this thread, I placed an order for a 30.5 from a shop in Italy (no one in the states had my size, and Head was out of stock). I wear a 14 street shoe, fortunately a narrow foot, and the out of box fit is fantastic minus some slight pressure on my sixth toe area. Since i was replacing a Atomic Redster 150, I immediately installed the two other "flex adjustment pins," nervously drilling two holes into each brand new boot to make it a 150 flex. Lastly, I had my local shop install a 5mm lifter. I ski with a zipfit gara liner, so I jammed that in there and I was on my way. Heel and ankle hold is fantastic, and while the flex was slightly softer than the Atomic it replaced, it had no negative effect on my skiing. It skis like a plug boot without the pain, numb feet, and curled toes. Also, after skiing in a wet, snowy/rainy day Sunday, then two 45+ degree days sunny slushy days Monday and Tuesday, my feet remained dry. Very happy with my purchase, and I greatly appreciate the advice in this thread. -Jay

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
I ended up with the RS speeds which are the same boot in black. Had to take the buckles in top in and add a tongue shim since I took out the spoiler and still needed to eat up room in the calf. Also needed a boot board shim and just dropped them off to get punched out a little on the side but other than some previous pain they felt good. They were cold even when it wasn't that cold out so also ordered some hottronics.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I got a pair of Raptor 140 RS late last season. Only got to ski them for a 5 or 6 days last season; but after the initial honeymoon with the boots I could tell I'd need some fitting work would be needed for next season (ie: some pressure points & mild bruising). Fast forward to this season & I've had three fitting/punch sessions: the first one for the 6th toe, the second session for the cuboid area and the third to slightly blow out an area ahead of the cuboid. All for the right boot. The left boot needs some minor work in the ankle area, which I'll get to eventually. Anyway, so far so good. I have about 26 days in the boots and the liners are showing no signs of unexpected excessive pack out.

Simply put: these boots are the best performing boots I've ever had. Out of the box they're set at 130 flex, and it's a real 130 flex & that's where I'm leaving them. Love the power strap. I chose to not use the add-on spoilers. I did have to reposition the cuff buckles to the inboard position for my less-than-meaty lower shins. Overall, the fit is very firm & tight with tenacious grip on my ankles and heels. Getting them on & off is more of a chore than other boots I've owned, but - for the performance - a trivial sacrifice in convenience.

As for warmth...

My previous boots were Rossignol Radical WC 130s. Great shells but a very thin "race" liner (yes, I know, they are not really 'plug boots). Anyway, the 'Radicals were stupid cold boots. Heck, even on spring days my toes could get too cold. For me, they were tolerably cold down to, say, 25F.

For me, the Raptors are an improvement warmth wise. I've skied them in temps in the low teens without feeling like my feet are in ice. I think this is because of the Raptor's shell design, which seems to give the top of my forefoot just a teeny bit more room than my old 'Radicals did.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also the plastic has some thickness to it so makes for a good base to grind from....found a couple of spots over time that just needed a small grind vs. punch.
Love the boot, liner is still decent as it nears the last couple months of the season (have about 60+ days on them now) with little to no packing out (how can it was such a thin material?) Can't help but think a new liner would put it over the top.

Saller

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My foot: My foot measures just under 27cm, and I currently ski in a 25.5. The outgoing Lange RS shell in a 25.5/296mm that I have here, measures approximately 265mm front to the back of the zeppa (boot board); the Head RS Shell in the same 25.5 is a 293mm shell with the interior length being 260mm to the end of the zeppa.

Stay tuned for more.

Wow - thank you for the detailed report!

- and you are skiing boots with inner length of 260mm while your feet are almost 275 mm ???

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow - thank you for the detailed report!

- and you are skiing boots with inner length of 260mm while your feet are almost 275 mm ???
No, i said "just under 270mm". I did a little grinding in the shell and yes it is snug.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just joined the Raptor 140 RS club today, after trying on three different pair of boots at the local guru's teeny tiny little shop.

When I put on the first two pair, they were OK. When I put on the Raptors, they felt like old friends.

OK, now snow!

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just joined the Raptor 14 RS club today, after trying on three different pair of boots at the local guru's teeny tiny little shop.

When I put on the first two pair, they were OK. When I put on the Raptors, they felt like old friends.

OK, now snow!
Me too. I picked up some 120s and skied them twice on the bunny run. Too soft. Took them back and got the 140s. Was going to ski them tomorrow but Mt. Rose isn't opening. :(

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I’ve envied that boot {RS140} since they first released it. I have a huge amount of volume in my foot, located in the arch/instep area. My local fitter has fitted hundreds of pairs of Head race boots, and a ton of RS’s. His sage advise was no chance. No matter what. Taking the zeppa down to nothing, doing everything possible to the clog...nope. Said if I were a Head athlete, I’d need a custom clog.

Has always bummed me out. If the boot fit, or was doable, I am 100% convinced that I’d love it. Such a great design! They also look cool...which counts, too!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
And with some surgery, talent, and voice lessons, I could be Brad Cooper. ogsmileThere are bridges that are just too far. I had a customer the other day that really wanted a Raptor boot. He ended up in an Atomic hawx Magna and I still had to make room for him.... for his needs and foot, it would have been a ridiculous stretch, pun intended.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve envied that boot {RS140} since they first released it. I have a huge amount of volume in my foot, located in the arch/instep area. My local fitter has fitted hundreds of pairs of Head race boots, and a ton of RS’s. His sage advise was no chance. No matter what. Taking the zeppa down to nothing, doing everything possible to the clog...nope. Said if I were a Head athlete, I’d need a custom clog.

Has always bummed me out. If the boot fit, or was doable, I am 100% convinced that I’d love it. Such a great design! They also look cool...which counts, too!

I'm a bit high in that area too. My last pair of boots, when fitted with a DFP liner, required either 1 gram of force on the instep buckle, or just leaving it open. Never seemed to be a problem, though I'm not earning my living at this sport.

Paul Forward also noted this in his review of the boot on Blister.

Heck, as long as they've been around, and as much as you still admire them, I'd at least try a pair on?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pretty high instep and figured there'd be no way I could get my hoof in the 140. But it works. I'll need a bit of work on my right boot for the big toe and a bit of pressure on top. May need a little more room in the heel. I was surprised how well they fit out of the box though

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I'm a bit high in that area too. My last pair of boots, when fitted with a DFP liner, required either 1 gram of force on the instep buckle, or just leaving it open. Never seemed to be a problem, though I'm not earning my living at this sport.

Paul Forward also noted this in his review of the boot on Blister.

Heck, as long as they've been around, and as much as you still admire them, I'd at least try a pair on?

First thing I do when I am trying a boot on is to get the Zeppa as flat as possible. Some manufacturers are better than others in making a Zeppa flat.

Sponsor

Staff online