• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Review: Head Raptor 140 RS

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_1461.JPG
Boot reviews: how can they really help someone else who, chances are, has a completely different foot than the person doing the test? What can be learned from one person's experience in a boot, and how can that be used for someone else? Very good questions. I guess what I will do here is create a diary of my experience with the new Head Raptor 140 RS. And if someone has a question, feel free to post it and maybe we will be able to decide if the boots should indeed be in their short list of considerations.

History: I was in a Flexon for what seemed like forever (20 plus years), then when Dalbello came out with the Krypton, I continued in the three-buckle world for half a decade. When I moved to Tahoe, this all changed. I moved to a four buckle, first the Tecnica Inferno, the Nordica Patron Pro, then back to Tecnica for the new Mach 1 with the CAS liners, and most recently the Lange RS140. This year I will be adding another boot to the rotation with the Lange, the Head Raptor 140.

My foot: My foot measures just under 27cm, and I currently ski in a 25.5. The outgoing Lange RS shell in a 25.5/296mm that I have here, measures approximately 265mm front to the back of the zeppa (boot board); the Head RS Shell in the same 25.5 is a 293mm shell with the interior length being 260mm to the end of the zeppa.

Foot measurement
IMG_1462.JPG

Initial fit: Fit out of the box with the stock liner is good with just a bit of pressure on the first met and styloid, two areas that are easy to punch or grind, and two areas that I have had to address in all of my previous boots. The zeppa does have a little rise under the instep, not uncommon and easily flattened with a belt sander. Because I have skinny legs, I tend to have to take some material off of the bottom of the lower cuff strap which creates pressure over the instep when I flex forward. Not only do I not feel the need to do this modification here, I also do not feel the immediate need to move the upper bails over, something I have to do with every other boot I have skied in the past half a decade. I will be skiing the Head with both the stock liner and my Boot Doc foams. Upgrades will include the removable Raptor soles and Masterfit Instaprint footbed. What I do not see changing is Head's ingenious power strap system.

Top Views
fullsizeoutput_5fba.jpeg fullsizeoutput_5fbb.jpeg
Raptor with Boot Doc liner
IMG_1456.JPG IMG_1457.JPG IMG_1458.JPG

On snow: One of the reasons I asked Head to send me this boot is that I skied it at the on-snow test in Copper last year and immediately felt a great connection to the snow both with the stock liner and my Boot Doc. I was amazed how well the boot fit my foot even just off the shelf. Once I get the boot out on the snow, I will be adding more information. I will also be posting images of the Vibram soles getting installed.

Stay tuned for more.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Because I have skinny legs I tend to have to take some material off of the bottom of the lower cuff strap but not only do I feel the need to do it here, I also do not feel the immediate need to move the upper bales over, something I have to do with every other boot I have skied in the past half of a decade.

Yah, that's the trouble area on my foot and why I went to the Head three years ago. All other boots are too capacious in the lower cuff area. The Raptor just fits.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Because I have skinny legs I tend to have to take some material off of the bottom of the lower cuff strap which creates pressure over the instep when I flex forward.​

My skinny ankles are pretty happy in the 110 RS W (after swimming in the Lange 110 RX LV) but I still buckle to the fourth or fifth latch. Could you explain a little more about what you mean about taking material off the lower cuff strap?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My skinny ankles are pretty happy in the 110 RS W (after swimming in the Lange 110 RX LV) but I still buckle to the fourth or fifth latch. Could you explain a little more about what you mean about taking material off the lower cuff strap?
IMG_1463.JPG

You can still see some of the silver marker. I took about 1/4"-1/3" off of the bottom, with a belt sander. Both sides need to be done.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting to hear how they work for you Phil. I am really tempted by the B3 but with my high instep, they are not the optimum shape and would take a lot more work than the Nordica/tecnica

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting to hear how they work for you Phil. I am really tempted by the B3 but with my high instep, they are not the optimum shape and would take a lot more work than the Nordica/tecnica
I find the instep room to be pretty generous in these, plus there is room on the zeppa to grind a couple of mm off.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I look forward to reading and hearing your thoughts on the Raptor. I have about 75 days in my RS 140 and am extremely pleased with them. Flex, response and snow feel are outstanding. I swapped the stock liner, which skied fine, for my ZipFits. I also had some grinding done and added the Vibram grips.

Reactions: Ron

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Great review - I really appreciate the detail. Those dogs look pretty good - pedicure? Sorry for thread drift, but that foot measurement tool is exactly what my family needs with my kids feet growing so quickly. Where can I buy on of these, or what is google search name for it, or is there a "to scale" pdf that I can laminate that someone can email me. Embarrassingly, I bought a pair of skis and my boots are so old, I was shocked when I read my boot mondo to Corbetts rep and it was 304mm. I thought it was much bigger. Personally, it would be nice to use so I can get an idea for my next boot purchase.

MRT

Putting on skis
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Mondo is a measurement of your foot in centimeters---You should be able to glue a metric tape to a board
and have the same thing.

mike
Master Bootfitter/Cped

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Heel lock on the Head RS is pretty great, and a perfect fit for me lengthwise (moving from the Lange RS line which were a touch longer). This will be my first boot in which I don't swap out the booster for the actual booster strap....the OEM booster (made by booster I believe) is pretty darn good. Just using the stock liner at the moment and I think it's decent. The plug liner is better but so far not complaining about the RS140 liner.

Actually like the spineflex buckles too....they do work as described, surprising actually as I was thinking they were more of a marketing gimmick...(who knew?)

Waiting to get on snow, they are incredibly snug fitting at the moment (no hot spots by pleanty of tightess) so looking forward to when they are broken in (I am reminded as to why I hate getting new boots....)

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier

Head plugs have a pretty low instep, but I think you can take at least a couple mm out of the boot board to gain some room. A custom liner is also an option. The new Intuition Plug is worth a look. FWIW I was directed to the B2 over the B3 because there is more material to work with.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I spent some time getting the RS140 ready to ski. Like many manufacturers, Head adds some extra material on the zeppa to simulate a bit of arch support, but if you are using a custom footbed, it just puts the instep into the roof of the boot. If this is the case, why do it? Well, there are people that prefer to ski without a footbed so I guess for them it is helpful, but in my case, it was not so much that it was painful but it stopped blood flow to my toes and made them numb. So, I just sanded down the footbed, adding a few millimeters of room; as we have said before, "In bootfitting, a millimeter is a mile," and I need whatever millimeters in that area I can get.

The other modification I did was to add a grippier sole* to the boots to make it safer for walking. Head offers a very good Vibram sole that I used on my Langes last year, but for these I chose to use the Tecnica replaceable soles. I had two reasons for doing this: first, completely for aesthetics. They are white/gray and don't look like I made a modification. Second, it is the same hole pattern as their GripWalk soles, so once I swap to GW, it will use the same holes. Speaking of GripWalk, yes I was one of the people questioning why we need this sole design, but one thing I try to be is open-minded. We just put out thousands of dollars to make our test skis GripWalk-compatible, so I thought I also needed to spend some time in what could be the next trend. Once I get the boot dialed and fit, along with the new bindings all mounted up, I will be swapping the soles over.

IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1539.JPG

One thing I did not have to do was replace the stock power strap with an aftermarket Booster strap, something that again, I have had to do to my previous boots. Head's "Dynamic Double Booster" does a great job of containing my chicken leg and still providing positive rebound.
First day on snow:
Like most times in a boot of this caliber, it is unrealistic to expect a perfect fit out of the box, and the RS140 is no exception. I thought I would get it on snow to see what actually needs to be done. This will be a three-step process. The first step is to take the boots out with my Boot Doc liners and to see how that goes. Well, good, not great. Let's start with the pluses. First, I love the reaction of the boot. The RS140 shell is as close to my foot as any boot has ever been; with just my foot in the shell without the liner, I have no side-to-side movement in the shell. Add in my Boot Doc foam liner, it is extra snug, starting-gate snug, to a level that I do not require. The other aspect that I found surprising was that I didn't have to move the upper bails, something that is usually the first thing I have to do with almost every boot. Not only did I not have to move the bails, I am only about two-thirds in on the bail.

Now on to the minuses... I still need room on the roof over my forefoot. I am confident that I will be able to address this with a tonguectomy. Lastly, it was it was cold out, and with the installed heaters that was not an issue -- until I went to take the boots off. It was just not happening. This has not been an issue for me since I had my old Nordica Patron Pro a few seasons back. It was the first time since then I had to turn on the car heater, sit in the passenger seat, and put the boots under the heater for five or so minutes; then the boots peeled off.

IMG_1541.JPG

On to Stage 2:
Next, I will take out the boots with the stock liners. In installing the stock liners, the initial fit didn't feel as good, but the more I wore them, the better they felt. They actually feel more workable than the Boot Docs in this application. I still think I will need a first met punch (which will be part of Stage 3), but I would like to get the boots out on snow before doing that. I also think the stock liner will be easier for getting the boot off in the snow. In hindsight, I should have probably started with the stock liners first.

*When you add nonstandard soles, the boot lugs need to be routed back to DIN standards.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Had to get a met punch on mine as well. The boot performed nicely however the feel inside would be vice like...however a very easy fix. Looking forward to the next time I get them on snow.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
Hay Phil, if gray soles where available, how come you put RED ones on my Raptor's? They clash with my lime green AX's. Yes, getting the boots off when really cold is a real bitch; I'll have to try the heater trick - never thought of it.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hay Phil, if gray soles where available, how come you put RED ones on my Raptor's? They clash with my lime green AX's. Yes, getting the boots off when really cold is a real bitch; I'll have to try the heater trick - never thought of it.

I have red soles on my Raptors as well. Also, one can sit in the bar and enjoy a cocktail while waiting for boots to warm enough to take off. That’s usually my strategy.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Will be trying these out shortly. I have a super narrow heel ankle, Achilles and lower calf with a low instep but normal to wider toe box