• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Test: Atomic HAWX ULTRA 130

TS
DoryBreaux

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Something worth noting is that the liners have finally broken down after about 70 days. While I always intended to use an aftermarket liner, I'm beyond impressed with the stock one given how much time I sound in my boots.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Something worth noting is that the liners have finally broken down after about 70 days. While I always intended to use an aftermarket liner, I'm beyond impressed with the stock one given how much time I sound in my boots.

Another good thing to hear. I'm going to the shop with an open mind on what to buy but I'm hoping the Ultra's are the right fit for my foot. They check off a lot of boxes for me.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had my appointment today and came home with a pair of the Ultra 130's. It turns out my Vacuums were one size too big for me, which I have thought for a while now. Anyway, we spent an hour or so going over my feet and discussing what I wanted in a boot. Thankfully I have pretty easy to fit feet and the Atomics work for me. We molded the shell to expand the toe box, did a heel lift to get the heel pocket as tight as I asked for and adjusted the cuff alignment to dial them in. In the end the boots are nice and snug, even with the buckles lightly done up. I can't wait to try them out on the snow!

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
/\ /\ Looking forward to it.

Quick question. I think I read somewhere that you can change the flex up or down by 10 points with the Power Shift. Is that true? I'm just curious about the features and I can't seem to find where I read that.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
There are 2 screws on the back spine of the Ultra 130. Remove the top one to decrease it by 10 steps. In the case of the Ultra 110 or 120, they just have the bottom one in place from the factory and you add the top screw to increase it by 10. The 130 only can go down 10 not up any higher then 130 but the 2 models below it can increase with the addition of the second screw.

Not a bad idea to check the tightness of the back screws as they can loosen over time which will make the flex decrease.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
/\ /\ Looking forward to it.

Quick question. I think I read somewhere that you can change the flex up or down by 10 points with the Power Shift. Is that true? I'm just curious about the features and I can't seem to find where I read that.
There are 2 screws on the back spine of the Ultra 130. Remove the top one to decrease it by 10 steps. In the case of the Ultra 110 or 120, they just have the bottom one in place from the factory and you add the top screw to increase it by 10. The 130 only can go down 10 not up any higher then 130 but the 2 models below it can increase with the addition of the second screw.

Not a bad idea to check the tightness of the back screws as they can loosen over time which will make the flex decrease.

Thanks for the info!

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How that happened? :eek:

I don't know. Probably partly my fault for not telling that boot fitter I wanted a performance fit. The Vacuum boots were brand new tech in 2012 and he had only molded a few. Perhaps he over-estimated the amount the molding process would shrink the boot. That said, he probably should have known better.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Please also consider that @DoryBreaux is a big boy, he can break down gear faster than mortal sized humans. As he eludes to, 70 is pretty good for him, also consider as an Instructor, he is on the snow from first chair till last. 100 days plus should be average for most skiers.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Please also consider that @DoryBreaux is a big boy, he can break down gear faster than mortal sized humans. As he eludes to, 70 is pretty good for him, also consider as an Instructor, he is on the snow from first chair till last. 100 days plus should be average for most skiers.

Good to know. After handling the Ultra liner it won't surprise me for it to last that long. It's really well made.

When I bought my Vacuums back in 2012 it was after a 10 year skiing hiatus and they were my first pair of high end boots. I thought the stock liner was good and was surprised when people said it was lousy. Now I know why they complained. The Atomic is so much better constructed.

TS
DoryBreaux

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug good point, 75 days for me is quite impressive; the Waymaker liner lasted all of like 30 days before I put an Intuition in it.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Have skied my new ultras 120 in about 10ish days and finally getting them not to hurt right away. Had a thicker sock on last night and about froze my toes off at 25F. Switched back to thinner sock and all was good. I really need to make sure my 2 best pairs get washed. :)

I had the heat molding down with standard footbeds and then put my footbeds in. Probably a mistake that I need to correct. Wondering if I can heat mold myself with the DIY method of using an oven. Sometimes my right ankle bone hurts, but for the most part the boot is doing well. Tightest fitting boot I've skied on, it makes for a better skiing experience. I still have some tweaking to do on the buckles though. My loose setting works fine for the first 30 minutes, but the next tighter setting is too tight.

Love the lack of weight though.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have 8 days in on my 130's and they are a vast improvement over my old boots. All of the heel movement is gone and I don't have to crank down the buckles to get a snug fit. We'll see how long it takes for the liners to pack out but for now I'm very happy. The only negative is they are PITA to get on and off compared to my Vacuums.

I had mine heat-molded at the shop with custom insoles installed and it makes a big difference from when I had the factory insole in. Don't know how you'd do it at home but if memory serves the boots weren't that hot when they put them on so it may be possible if you're careful

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The DIY method is preheat oven to 325. Turn it off an put liners in oven on tin foil for about 5-8 minutes

TS
DoryBreaux

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The plastic has finally reached the end of its life. I don't know how many days are on them because I don't count days, but a rough guess would put them near 300. The plastic is yellowed, the toe and heel strikes are falling apart, the buckles are starting to fail, I've lost the outer pivot/cant bolt on the left boot four times now, and as a bonus the Intuitions are completely shot.
I am beyond impressed with this boot; given my size and the way I ski, I did not expect such a light boot to last this long. I will say that they never skied like a race boot, but they also are not intended to. The weight alone is worth buying this boot, IF IT FITS YOUR FOOT.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I only have 18 days on mine but I agree, I love them.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
I bought the 130 Hawx Ultra S model in December. I didn't heat mold anything, just threw my custom insole in and went skiing. Switched from my previous Fischer Hybrids that were not good at all for me (too big/too heavy/too soft/packed out quickly, etc). These Atomics are great. Light weight, fit well and so far holding up to all sorts of skiing/snow conditions/temperatures. I only have about 30 days in them so far.

Sponsor

Staff online