• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Test: 2017 DPS Foundation Wailer 106

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a few days on these now in the conditions they were meant for: soft, deep snow. Maybe I am getting old but I am liking easy skis more and more all the time. The Wailer 106 with the new Foundation construction is just that, easy. Now, just because a ski is easy, doesn't mean it isn't good. We can now have easy, fun, and playful at only the cost of the Nth degree in top end; to me, that is an acceptable price to pay. If I want to charge, many skis will do that. The shape and feel of the new Foundation series is just nice and workable. These are 185s and the length is there when I want it but it doesn't get in the way in the tight trees of Northstar's Lookout Mountain. The Wailer 106 is just a deceptively easy ski to ski.

• Who is it for? Individuals who aren’t looking to compromise. These skis are on the finesse side of the scale and reward skiers who are neutral on their skis; they do not need to be driven to get the most performance.
  • Who is it not for? 11/10th skiers.
  • Insider tip: Since these are preproduction models, I asked what was going to change; DPS replied that it would make them 5 to 10 percent stiffer and add a bit more camber. Perfect: these are the exact two changes we would like to see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
So looks like DPS decided to go mainstream and make a ski for the masses. I am quite curious about the W106, but from what I read so far I would probably enjoy a W105 in a Hybrid T2 much more... Of course DPS skis have a history of defying all my expectations...

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I spent some good time today on a pair of 185 DPS Wailer 106 in Foundation construction. Today’s Squaw conditions were 8-10 inches of heavy wind buffed powder in the morning, which of course quickly turned into the chop and some clumpy snow in places.

First a bit about the ski: Its a new shape for DPS, and a fairly radical departure from what people traditionally think as the “DPS shape” (AKA the Wailer 112RP). The ski has a fairly conventional looking tip, which still has some barely visible early taper. There is a fairly amount of rocker upfront, and an upturned tail. The pre-production ski I tested had nearly flat camber (more about it later). The blue gradient graphics is pure DPS- simple, classy, and gorgeous. The topsheets are also very high quality- a far cry from my early 112RP top sheets that are prone to chipping and shed nasty fiberglass shards. The flex is also fairly conventional- the tail is medium-stiff, but the shovels and the forebode are quite soft. Overall the flex pattern is a departure from the current trend of making skis with balanced flex. The flex is the first giveaway that this ski is not a charger and also hints that its intended audience is different from the traditional hard-core skier DPS customer.

I started the day on my 112RPs, I knew that their powder specific shape would work better for the first few runs, after I was acclimated to the snow I switched to the W106s. There was no groomer in sight, so I didn’t get a chance to test the edge hold or true groomer performance, but I had plenty of chances to test it in powder snow, mixed snow, and all kinds of chopped and clumped-up snow. A few traits did stand out for me: the soft forebode of the ski makes it easy to go over things, but it also gives it a speed limit. The ski did great in the Red Dog Ridge runs where we hit mostly untracked patches and some cut-up powder. However a more challenging Oly Lady run right away exposed some of the ski’s limitations. Turns in a chute were fine, but I didn’t feel the solid platform that I became accustomed to with a burly ski like the Bonafide. As soon as I hit the clumped-up sloughrunout, the ski became nervous. The tail is a strong point in this ski, and it saved me quite a few times when I got off-balance. The rocketed tail on the 112RP has a tendency to wheelie out on bumpy traverses, not so with the W106F.

The tip shape effect on the ski feel is interesting, the taper works fantastically well for making he ski non-hooky and very tolerant to obstacles in its front. The price for me is sometimes vague and slow tip engagement in 3D snow. I suspect a more skilled driver would be able to coax the tip into a turn better, but that driver would probably want to ski faster and then hit the speed limit. I did notice a few times in tight spots that I wished that the ski pulled me into a turn faster. The tail is well suited for bumps and uneven snow, and it was forgiving enough for my mediocre bump skills. The flat camber on the other hand made for a fairly anemic feel, its definitely not a high energy ski. As it is, the W106 feels neutral to a fault, which sometime creates magic. The run I remember is the line to the right of Tom’s Tumble, mostly an uninterrupted expanse of wind buffed powder that run through a mini-chute. That line was fantastic, the ski just disappeared under me. I have to give it to the DPS for the Foundation construction, it feels way more damp and quiet than the Hybrid design that I have in my 112rPs.

So who is this ski for? My impression is that DPS for the first time made a ski that is targeted at a good intermediate or advanced skier, which could broaden their user base significantly. The flex pattern and the design is at ease at moderate speeds, it is very tolerant to users errors, almost unflappable, and the tip design snd flex allows for relaxed skiing in mixed snow. Someone who is not accustomed to skiing 3D snow on a regular basis would get on that ski and have a total blast. On the other hand, if someone likes to push the speed to the max, that person would be less satisfied. I think adding more camber to the ski would help it to feel more lively, and making the tip shape a bit more aggressive would be beneficial to the target audience. According to Phil the production version will have more camber. It would be a great thing.

Capsule review: Finally, a DPS ski for the masses.

P.S. The recommended price seems to be fairly high, and more in line with expert level skis, which could be an issue for the target audience.

Pictures:

graphics works fantastically well with snow on skis:
Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 11.33.49 PM.png

Camber and rocker pictures:
Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 11.33.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 11.34.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 11.34.14 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 11.33.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 11.33.59 PM.png
    698.5 KB · Views: 19

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Man, there are some nice offerings in 104-108 range this season.
Wailer 106, BMX105, Volkl 100Eight, revised Line SFB 104, Pinnacle 105, Black Crows Atris 108, and more
This sizing is of great interest to me as it is the width range of the magic "travel-ski" for me.

Funny -> I spend the most time researching a ski I will ski the least, BUT at the most interesting of destinations !
Being located an hour west of Toronto, I only have groomer hills to ski, though we did have 6" of very fluffy pow last week.
The novelty of heading our west or to Europe AND riding a fun new "wide'ish" ski is always entertaining

I will have Wailer 106 185cm and BMX105 181cm (non-HP) waiting for me in Banff next week.
I'll post some comments once I'm back.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Nice review !
The pics on the Blister Gear review do show more camber than what you were riding:

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2016-2017-dps-wailer-f-106/3

thanks ~ Andy

I would think that Blister had a later prototype where DPS added more camber and made the ski stiffer. that may account for their higher enthusiasm on how it skied groomers.

Honestly, I should give the ski its due. I think DPS made a ski that hits its target market in the bullseye- 90% of the typical city skiers who buy Mantras would be vastly better off on this DPS ski. It is much easier to ski, it does not promote bad habits (in fact it promotes good habits) and it is reliable and has a big sweet spot because of the tail. Will it be a big success? We will see, the two factors that I would count against it are: (1) target market is highly influenced by brand perception (they know Volk and Blizzard and not necessarily know DPS) as well as vanity, so they may not psychologically want to buy an "intermediate" ski, and (2) frankly, the price can be too high for that market.

Last edited:

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Brand recognition is one thing DPS, and any of the other independent ski companies, need to work on.
Though DPS seems to have much more global name recognition these days, with dealer representation in many European countries now. DPS certainly have carved out their name with the Wailer & carbon fiber construction. I bought my 112RP Pures as a travel-ski because of the "cool factor" and great reviews. Hopefully DPS's brand cachet as superb big-pow & resort-pow skis will trickle down to their mid-fat and front-side range of skis.

I posted elsewhere, but DPS in "hybrid" construction has always been $800.
This is only $100-$150 more than a ski from a big-name manufacturer.
And DPS now too goes on sale at the end of season, then $800 becomes $600 or less.
... but without name/brand recognition, Joe-consumer will probably always prefer a mainstream brand.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would think that Blister had a later prototype where DPS added more camber and made the ski stiffer. that may account for their higher enthusiasm on how it skied groomers.

Honestly, I should give the ski its due. I think DPS made a ski that hits its target market in the bullseye- 90% of the typical city skiers who buy Mantras would be vastly better off on this DPS ski. It is much easier to ski, it does not promote bad habits (in fact it promotes good habits) and it is reliable and has a big sweet spot because of the tail. Will it be a big success? We will see, the two factors that I would count against it are: (1) target market is highly influenced by brand perception (they know Volk and Blizzard and not necessarily know DPS) as well as vanity, so they may not psychologically want to buy an "intermediate" ski, and (2) frankly, the price can be too high for that market.
I just skied the 106 today at Beaver Creek in actual powder, not the heavier Sierra Cement that we have had in Tahoe most of the year and it was extremely playful in the trees and the 6-8" of fresh that they reported. I agree with Alex that DPS has indeed hit the mark with this ski and even the whole collection.

Reactions: BMC

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Brand recognition is one thing DPS, and any of the other independent ski companies, need to work on.
Though DPS seems to have much more global name recognition these days, with dealer representation in many European countries now. DPS certainly have carved out their name with the Wailer & carbon fiber construction. I bought my 112RP Pures as a travel-ski because of the "cool factor" and great reviews. Hopefully DPS's brand cachet as superb big-pow & resort-pow skis will trickle down to their mid-fat and front-side range of skis.

I posted elsewhere, but DPS in "hybrid" construction has always been $800.
This is only $100-$150 more than a ski from a big-name manufacturer.
And DPS now too goes on sale at the end of season, then $800 becomes $600 or less.

... but without name/brand recognition, Joe-consumer will probably always prefer a mainstream brand.

Yes, but you have to convince the Joe skier that it is worth that extra $100, and more so since his buddy Jeff who skis a Volkl ski says that Volk makes the best skis in the world. Then, by the time DPS becomes $600, that said Volkl ski goes on sale for $450. And after they sort of that out, they would have to deal with the fact that W106 is not an "expert" ski which would hurt Joe's ego.

@Philpug - I would much prefer the 112RP to W106 in actual powder. But as an easy all-mountain ski W106 is fantastic. It does remind me somehow of another blue ski- the PocketRocket, probably people who loved the PocketRocket would love this ski. Just don't buy it too short.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, but you have to convince the Joe skier that it is worth that extra $100, and more so since his buddy Jeff who skis a Volkl ski says that Volk makes the best skis in the world. Then, by the time DPS becomes $600, that said Volkl ski goes on sale for $450. And after they sort of that out, they would have to deal with the fact that W106 is not an "expert" ski which would hurt Joe's ego.
Shouldn't be a problem. DPS's will be in actual ski shops with actual salespeople that actually know skis.

@Philpug - I would much prefer the 112RP to W106 in actual powder. But as an easy all-mountain ski W106 is fantastic. It does remind me somehow of another blue ski- the PocketRocket, probably people who loved the PocketRocket would love this ski. Just don't buy it too short.

the Powder I had it in was what I would ski a One-Oh-Something in, not a 112 so it was actually a better choice than the 112 would have been. Sure it's not always the case, this time ti was.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My obsession for this season is a 104-108 "travel-ski". I'm tired of hauling around 2 sets of skis when I go on a trip.

Just got back from Banff-area ( Lake Louise, Sunshine, Norquay ) and had 2 days each on my DPS 106 Foundation 185, and BMX105-HP 181.
Sadly no new snow, only groomer action. The new snow we did get one day was 4" of supper fluffy, so may as well not even existed as the skis made it a non-issue. There wasn't even any chop or junky snow to play around with. Just very hard-snow mini-bumps, which I avoided.
Day 1 saw me on my FX94 176. Ya, I had 3 skis on this trip .... as my wife rolls her eyes ...

In hand, the BMX was a heavier setup than the DPS. I just weighed them on my bathroom scale:
14.0 lbs DPS 106 F 185 with Marker Jester demo-bindings
15.5 lbs Kastle BMX105-HP with K13 Attack demo-bindings

I was very impressed with the DPS 106 F build quality.
It is much improved over my previous original Wailer 112RP Pure, my pal's 112RP Pure2, and my other pal's 99 Pure3.
The blue gradient is seemless and subtle. There is a good amount of chamfering on the topsheet to reduce chipping, and a nice textured finish for added protection.
I have ridden the 3 DPS skis above, but never a DPS hybrid.
But the 106 F reminds me of none of the Pures. It is a damp, solid ski in comparison. I Like !

I had originally ordered BMX non-HP, but HP showed up and I decided to keep them.
I was going to follow Scott/Dawg's suggestion and try my first non-metal Kastle, but not the case
I was worried they were going to be heavy/slow burly for my H/W + skill ( 5'9" , 175 lbs )
Underfoot, I did not notice the added weight of the BMX over the DPS.
The new hollowtech is very large, so reduced weight at the tips. Not slow underfoot at all.
From pics, I never noticed that the BMX topsheet is white-on-white, similar to the FX94 black-on-black. Very Classy IMO !
Also, the white-on-white will never show a scratch or scuff, like the black FX's are so prone to.
The green is vibrant without being garish. Build is typical great Kastle. I Like !

The above is the back-story.

Not much of a review other than both are very capable on groomers, very solid, very quick.
As I had demo-bindings on both, I tried the mount point on-the-line, and plus and minus 1cm.
For the DPS I preferred 1cm back, for the BMX I preferred on-the-line.

I am a fan-boy of both brands and would gravitate to either.
Visually, I prefer the BMX.
Day 1 saw me on my FX94
... luv that ski -> I recently sold my 2 season skied FX94, missed it so much that I just re-bought it again at the closeout pricing
Day 2+3 saw me on the DPS
... it took a few runs to get adjusted to how to engage them, then all good, impressed
Day 4+5 saw my on the BMX
... what was funny is that half way down the first run I said to myself "these fell like an old friend" and immediately dialed up the speed
... obviously there is ski-feel-family-resemblance across the Kastle brand.

Both skis will make it on the guys-trip over to Europe in 2 weeks.
I am hoping for some variable conditions, pow, etc, before picking the winner.

The recent Pugski review on the newest Stockli 107 is of great interest.
As is the Black Crows Atris ( 108 ). Over the last several years of guys-trips to Europe, I have seen the growth of this brand, made by guys in Chamonix. ( Zag skis are also from Chamonix )
And I woud like to try the non-HP BMX, and may seek out a rental while across the pond
More comments on the DPS coming as I get more time on them.

~ Andy

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After spending more time on the F106 and F95, I have thought more about it. These skis performed to a higher level in Colorado than here in Tahoe. It made me think why. I have come to the conclusion that these skis were designed and bred in Utah where the snow is much lighter that we typically get here in Tahoe. The snow I skied in Colorado was also much lighter. I jokingly thought these Foundation skis are "Mountain Time Zone skis." While they work well back home, they come alive in the lower water content snow that is a time zone east of us. Our Colorado testers, @Ron @SBrown @Drahtguy Kevin, have these skis for a few months now so I will let them add to this review and that of the Foundation 95.

Reactions: BMC

Devin Monahan

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
where did you demo the wailer 106? is there a shop in tahoe that has them available for demo?

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Shag powder. :beercheer:

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some more time on the DPS 106 F & BMX105-HP .....
Very uncharacteristically, my local groomer at 6-8" of pow today, of say medium density, over frozen groomer.
So a noticable transition going from one surface to another. As the pow got pushed around, it built up into foot+ tall mounds

The BMX had the feeling of a just plowing through the snow, the tip early-rise staying on top of the junk, or slicing through it if on edge. Still very quick edge to edge. Very stable and damp, not de-railed easily. I liked it a lot for the days conditions. And again, a very familiar feel underfoot as I have been an FX94 skier for the last 2 seasons.

After a couple hours on the Kastle I swapped skis and internally had not-so-high-hopes on the DPS 106 F ... but ...
Underfoot, they engaged differently than the BMX. I have the DPS mounted at -1cm. Next time out, I will try them at -2cm per the Blister Gear review comments.
Even though the DPS is only 1mm wider at the waist, the shovel shape made them a more surfy feeling ski.
They were even quicker than the BMX making turns dodging through the clumpy snow, or cruising over top, or through.
Not as damp feeling as the BMX , but still a solid-ski by DPS standards. The DPS made more audible noise if I err'd and did a big side-scrape down a frozen patch. I thought -> "these 106's are good too !!" but in a different way than the BMX.
Looking at the posted radius, the BMX is 21m and the DPS is 18m. I liked the added quickness of the DPS. I'm sure the added tail rocker on the DPS would aid them even more-so in deeper snow.

So far, 2 very capable "1-0-something" skis but with different personalities.
My next worthwhile outing on both skis will be across the pond in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and nearby Austria.

~ Andy

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Should be two very different skis, the Kastle should be significantly more powerful and damp at higher speeds, no speed limit whatsoever, the Wailer much easier to ski, much more playful, but with all these traits becoming a noticeable liability at higher speeds. You are not taking both across the pond, are you?

Sponsor