• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Test: 2016-2017 4FRNT KYE110

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I usually ski a flat tailed, 70% or more cambered 11/10th ski in all but the deepest blower. I don't know many people who ski hard snow the way I do; railroad tracking GS turns at 60+mph while trying to tail press and slash every single terrain variation I can find.

The Ski: 4FRNT KYE110 188cm
Stats: Go look it up yourself, thats what the MFGs website is for.
Bindings: AAATack 13 demo
Mounted at: recommended

First impressions:
What does it do: It absof@(!%6lutely shreds soft snow. Want to carve? Done. Slide through bumps? Its a 114 and it does it no problem (its not a bump ski so dont ask it to be). Slash a big mound of manky soppy was-pow-three-days-ago snow? Yeah, blown up. Switch scrub over rollers? Its not even a real twin tip and it feels better switch than my Bentchetlers.
What it doesn't do: Make you a better skier. Slalom turns. Win a bump competition. Let you get lazy on hardpack.

• Who's it for? Very few people. If you want a carving ski, you buy a carving ski. If you want a park ski, you buy a park ski. If you want to ski both skis at once, but not in the park and not on perfect manicured cord, you buy the KYE. Its for someone who skis hard and knows how to lay a ski over and bend it, but wants to play on everything and go hard while doing it.
  • Who's it not for? A lot of people. Those who want something to charge everything as hard as possible. Someone who wants an easy skiing all mountain fat ski. People who cruise.
  • Insider tip: Dont be afraid to mount it a little forward; it retains its stability.

Overall: This ski made me ski like a snowboarder; play on everything and just have fun. I haven't skied like that in a LONG time.

Day 2...
More of the same warm sloppy conditions at Northstar yesterday. I touched up the edges ever so slightly and detuned the tips and tails. This made a noticeable difference in how it handled on groomers; I didnt have to think about it as much and just sort of let it run. I then took it into some of the gladed tree areas that NOBODY touches more than a day or two after a storm, and certainly not after the stupidly warm temps we've been having lately (note that I was coaxed into this partially by my newfound "Shut up and go skiing" attitude and partially by a first year patroller friend whos enthusiasm for skiing rivals most people I know). I didnt want the ski to feel good in this zone because lets face it, nobody likes skiing sloppy sticky trees. But it DESTROYED any feelings I had had about sloppy heavy left over pow. I dont think I will ever be let down by this ski, within what its supposed to do.

Days 3-5
Nothing really changed as far as how I feel about this ski. Is it a cord carving machine? No its not; its a 114mm big mountain charger that is more skiable than pretty much anything in this category. Over the two weeks that I've had the ski I've played with it in everything except deep pow, and I almost feel like I dont need to because of how well it skis everything else. I really, really cant find anything negative to say about this ski.

Day 6
Changed the mounting position (because demo bindings) to be a little closer to center than the recommended, and it made the ski even more fun and playful. But its STILL STABLE AT SPEED!

I had to return the skis to the rep, so my long term test got cut a little short. All in all, I'm beyond impressed by what 4FRNT is doing with this ski. IT SHOULD NOT BE THIS SKIABLE! I wish I had gotten a chance to take it somewhere other than Northstar, because I dont feel I got to really put it through all its paces.

12743509_10156548526820453_3318408498176573505_n.jpg

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I tried a 4frnt at Mammoth. It was a really strong ski with an interesting profile. I'm excited to hear more from you on this one.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Yeah there are some very conflicting reviews of this ski on TGR there are also people who think the 4frnt Renegade is an everyday ski over there.....

Your skiing description perfectly describe my next door neighbor. Sounds like a ski I could have fun on, although I doubt its much different than my El Capos.

TS
DoryBreaux

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I tried a 4frnt at Mammoth. It was a really strong ski with an interesting profile. I'm excited to hear more from you on this one.
Ryan said you were a little conflicted with how you felt about it.

Yeah there are some very conflicting reviews of this ski on TGR there are also people who think the 4frnt Renegade is an everyday ski over there.....

Your skiing description perfectly describe my next door neighbor. Sounds like a ski I could have fun on, although I doubt its much different than my El Capos.
For me it depends on how and where you ski. If I spent every day at Kirkwood or Squaw or Snowbird or Jackson, yeah either could be an every day ski, if I also had a true carving ski for mornings when everything but groomers are too firm to be fun. Also, show me a non ultra boutique brand that doesn't cause conflict on TGR. I would love to ski an El Capo side by side with the KYE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ryan said you were a little conflicted with how you felt about it.

Actually I see some really good aspects of the ski and know exactly who I'd sell it to but its a bit strong and not necessarily a ski that I'd pick for myself. That being said, I plan on getting on it again and getting on more of their skis.
4FRNT is making some really nice stuff.

Last edited:

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied 4frnts for almost a decade, three different pairs and the abuse they took was amazing. Kept them tuned and they went forever. I see myself going back to them. This seems like a good ski on for softdays, whatever they replaced the msp model with I need to demo.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I skied 4frnts for almost a decade, three different pairs and the abuse they took was amazing. Kept them tuned and they went forever. I see myself going back to them. This seems like a good ski on for softdays, whatever they replaced the msp model with I need to demo.
@DoryBreaux and I know a guy. :cool:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January