• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
On the side by the arch.
Then run it around the back and up to the lateral side of the boot so the plug can get to the battery. Battery should be on the side, not the back. On the back it will get whacked by chairlifts.
20190109_174350.jpg
20190109_174404.jpg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I get the reasons why you guys are routing the cable this way, but I've personally never had any issue with running it down the middle, out the heel, and up the back. In fact, on my current footbeds, I actually peeled back the top layer and inserted the element there, then ran the cable on the underside before posting it. The posting material was put over the cable before grinding the bottom flat. This completely integrated the heating element and cable into the footbed. Except for the cable coming out of the back, the footbed looks stock. Of course if I have a cable or element failure, I'm totally f-cked. :eek:

James

Out There
Instructor
I get the reasons why you guys are routing the cable this way, but I've personally never had any issue with running it down the middle, out the heel, and up the back. In fact, on my current footbeds, I actually peeled back the top layer and inserted the element there, then ran the cable on the underside before posting it. The posting material was put over the cable before grinding the bottom flat. This completely integrated the heating element and cable into the footbed. Except for the cable coming out of the back, the footbed looks stock. Of course if I have a cable or element failure, I'm totally f-cked. :eek:
Don't you take your liners out, put your foot in, then go in the boot? With the zip fit? And the cable survives up the heel?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Don't you take your liners out, put your foot in, then go in the boot? With the zip fit? And the cable survives up the heel?

You are correct sir. I have gaffer tape up the back of the liner holding the cable in place. I also smoothed any sharp edges in the back of my shells and covered the spine nuts/bolts with gaffer tape. Finally, I spray the inside of my boots with silicone. I have to re-spray them every couple weeks or so. My liners slip right in with no wear to the cable. I did this for a couple years with my Therm-ic system and now I have setup the same thing with the new Sidas system I recently picked up.

James

Out There
Instructor
Silicone really does make a difference getting in. Never buy liquid wrench silicone! It smells terrible, like random petroleum products are in it.

Fischer boots need to have the bottom edge of the spoiler taped inside. It's a sharp edge and free to move a bit. You can start coming out with foot in liner, then the heel gets caught on the sharp edge , the spoiler moves out and digs into the liner. Now your stuck! With cursing and banging you go back in and try again.
There's always this sprayed with silicone for getting in. Or a piece of Tyvek.

IMG_5780.JPG

https://skisnowboardboothorn.com/

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I should have mentioned that gaffer tape is quite different from duct tape and a key to making this work. Gaffer tape is a fabric tape with an adhesive that is reliable, but not super strong. It slides along plastic easily whereas typical duct tape is a nightmare. Duct tape also leaves adhesive residue all over whatever you use it on. I can remove the gaffer tape from my liners and shells and it easily releases without adhesive left behind.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Gaffer tape
I was looking for something that wouldn't leave the goop behind like duct tape. I forgot all about gaffers tape. Good to know it works. As you can see by my liners above, the sticky stays.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Running the power up the back also pushes you a little further forward in the shell and when you are in a performance fit...every milimeter is important.

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
I assume if you are going out the side of the liner with the cable that you have to position the cut so that the cable comes out and up behind the ankle?

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Running the power up the back also pushes you a little further forward in the shell and when you are in a performance fit...every milimeter is important.

Yes, the OCD in me definitely obsessed about this, but I decided to just go ahead and try it, and surprisingly I cannot feel it at all. The 1mm of thickness doesn't seem to be impactful, but I can see where this might be an issue depending on the shell or the fit.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
James liquid wrench is the the best for loosening anything but you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.
You CANNOT get rid of the smell !!

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
I installed my new Therm-ics last weekend. Install couldn't have been easier. Now looking for forward to trip to Keystone next week to give them a try. Doubling down on warmth, I also bought boot gloves. If those don't work, guess it's time to look for mini hot tubs I can ski in.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have had the chance to play with these is three pairs of boots this season, moving my footbeds from one pair to the next. In typical Bluetooth fashion, there has been a few cases where the heaters and phone do not pair the first time and with both batteries looking identical, I find that I have to turn on one and make sure I i have the right one...or left...and then pair thie other. I eventually put an L and R on each battery. Battery placement. I am finding that with my chicken legs, I have to tighten the booster strap so much that I didn't have room for the battery above the buckles and I had to actually put the batterues on the inner part of the boot...cracy I know but because the batteries are so compact, I have yet to hit them while skiing anf only occasionally while walking.

Warmth. These have a setting of 1-10. Up to now, I have yet to put them above 6..even then they are really....really warm..bordering on hot. I cannot imagine what 9 or 10 would be like.

Battery life. I have yet to ski a full bell to bell day with these but I have skied multiple half days and I can get about 4 half days between charges. Not bad.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I have had the chance to play with these is three pairs of boots this season, moving my footbeds from one pair to the next. In typical Bluetooth fashion, there has been a few cases where the heaters and phone do not pair the first time and with both batteries looking identical, I find that I have to turn on one and make sure I i have the right one...or left...and then pair thie other. I eventually put an L and R on each battery. Battery placement. I am finding that with my chicken legs, I have to tighten the booster strap so much that I didn't have room for the battery above the buckles and I had to actually put the batterues on the inner part of the boot...cracy I know but because the batteries are so compact, I have yet to hit them while skiing anf only occasionally while walking.

Warmth. These have a setting of 1-10. Up to now, I have yet to put them above 6..even then they are really....really warm..bordering on hot. I cannot imagine what 9 or 10 would be like.

Battery life. I have yet to ski a full bell to bell day with these but I have skied multiple half days and I can get about 4 half days between charges. Not bad.

Do they have an option for a mounted battery clip (not just the strap mount)?

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Quick question: Can the C-Pack Therm-ic 1700 BT 2019 be satisfactorily operated without a smartphone?

We use radios because we hate pulling our smartphones out -- especially on powder days (although I guess I could put a powder leash on it...)

This is what it says: "This low-profile battery pack can be controlled via a Bluetooth connection on your smart phone or the single button control on the battery pack. "

Here:

https://www.skis.com/Therm-ic-C-Pack-1700-BT/544900P,default,pd.html

But I don't see any indicator lights on the battery. How would you know what setting you are on by only using the single button control on the battery pack?

I am considering the Hotronic S4 and the C-Pack Therm-ic 1700 BT 2019 with heat kit (T44-0201-300) and would like to place my order no later than tomorrow.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Quick question: Can the C-Pack Therm-ic 1700 BT 2019 be satisfactorily operated without a smartphone?

We use radios because we hate pulling our smartphones out -- especially on powder days (although I guess I could put a powder leash on it...)

This is what it says: "This low-profile battery pack can be controlled via a Bluetooth connection on your smart phone or the single button control on the battery pack. "

Here:

https://www.skis.com/Therm-ic-C-Pack-1700-BT/544900P,default,pd.html

But I don't see any indicator lights on the battery. How would you know what setting you are on by only using the single button control on the battery pack?

I am considering the Hotronic S4 and the C-Pack Therm-ic 1700 BT 2019 with heat kit (T44-0201-300) and would like to place my order no later than tomorrow.
Yes they can. There is a light on the battery. You can also use the smart phone to set the battery temps and modes, motion and eco modes in hte AM and never take it out of yur pocket all day.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, so bottom line. Between the Hotronic S4 and the Therm-ic 1700 you would choose the latter?
No question. Also, unless you need the extra battery life, do not dismiss the 1300.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink