• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Review: Renoun Z-90 Limited Edition

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Not much snow in that pic Jeb. Good luck on getting out soon. I yoinked my back out yesterday on the slopes when I slammed into a trough I didn't see (flat light/overcase with new snow). Taught me a few things.

1st -don't head out in conditions I don't do well in with a kid 20 years younger who also is much more of an athlete.

If, in ignoring rule #1 above, at least make and attempt to warm up first!!!!!!!

Lastly and perhaps most importantly, just don't follow the kid as he blasts straight down the hill under the lift first run. JUST DON'T DO IT!!!!!

My previous "Good luck Jeb" still stands of course. And Trish and everyone, thanks for the Renoun reading material. Good stuff.

I need to recite this more often now, but add kid 30 yrs younger.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just spent 2 out of 6 days at Whistler Blackcomb on the Z Series 90 Limited Edition skis and am continually amazed at what kind of conditions these skis can eat up.

@KingGrump took us up to Whistler Bowl, where we faced a variety of powder bumps, gnarly traverses, and chopped up faces. These skis just keep taking everything I give it and give it back.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just spent 2 out of 6 days at Whistler Blackcomb on the Z Series 90 Limited Edition skis and am continually amazed at what kind of conditions these skis can eat up.

@KingGrump took us up to Whistler Bowl, where we faced a variety of powder bumps, gnarly traverses, and chopped up faces. These skis just keep taking everything I give it and give it back.
No disrespect to any Pug's here and correct me if I'm wrong but from what I'm getting of recent post it appears you put Z90 to the test following a keyboard worrier from NYC guide which is ok if that's the target market - wondering if we'll have to wait till Utah '18 gathering to hear from the website's top guns, @Doug Briggs, @dean_spirito, @pais alto and whoever else I'm missing, on the Z90 wunder ski?

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
No disrespect to any Pug's here and correct me if I'm wrong but from what I'm getting of recent post it appears you put Z90 to the test following a keyboard worrier from NYC guide which is ok if that's the target market - wondering if we'll have to wait till Utah '18 gathering to hear from the website's top guns, @Doug Briggs, @dean_spirito, @pais alto and whoever else I'm missing, on the Z90 wunder ski?

You're wrong. I'm the best skier on the mountain.

(Plenty of people on here can ski. Some suck, some are okay, but there are some good skiers. As a heads up, I usually don't have much of an issue keeping up. With anybody. On just about anything.)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Actually IIRC, Dean hasn't gotten on the Z90 but has on the Endurance 98, I am not sure if @Doug Briggs did last May but we will have these at Mothers Day at A-basin so, more people can get on them there. @pais alto is in New Mexico and not sure if he will be attending Mothers Day or even The Gathering but he is welcome to get on them. @Tony S, @markojp and @David Chaus all got on them here in Whistler and will be adding their views soon.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ Oh, nice. I'm particularly interested in @Tony S opinion that he and I are in the same weight class.
Also, if winter holds on and you guy's can put up with me, lol, I'll try to attend Mothers Day at Abay - I'm working on rehabbing the latest injury and am seriously itching to get on snow this season!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

(Plenty of people on here can ski. Some suck, some are okay, but there are some good skiers. As a heads up, I usually don't have much of an issue keeping up. With anybody. On just about anything.)
LOL:)
- I get the idea the "just about anything" is the realm of @pais alto and let's face it we've seen the photo's @Doug Briggs and @dean_spirito have posted of themselves, so, and that they aren't sponsored would add to the endorsement, I'd think;)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Quick hit... a very nice ski. Think love child of the feel of a Stoeckli Storm rider 88 mom and a bit of the shape of a Titan dad. This should be a great ski for many replacing their MX 88 that felt in retrospect that their Kastle felt a bit too stiff. They work fine through a wide range of conditions off piste, and rail well on groomed terrain. For really steep bumps, there's a bit more sidecut than I prefer, but that's more a function of my own 'style' that involves more 'tip and steer' in the aforementioned circumstances. I expect other's mileage to vary. That said, I'd rather own a pair of these than either the Stormrider or MX 88. The Z-90 is also better off piste than poppa Titan while hiding his unique blend of mom and pop's powers beneath an understated graphic.
Phil can probably tell you more objectively how I ski. ( #205, 5' 11", PSIA L3, race background, mix of power and finesse.)

FWIW, the daily ride at the gathering was a 184 Monster 88 for everything.

Last edited:

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Actually IIRC, Dean hasn't gotten on the Z90 but has on the Endurance 98, I am not sure if @Doug Briggs did last May but we will have these at Mothers Day at A-basin so, more people can get on them there. @pais alto is in New Mexico and not sure if he will be attending Mothers Day or even The Gathering but he is welcome to get on them. @Tony S, @markojp and @David Chaus all got on them here in Whistler and will be adding their views soon.

Yea I've only skied the Endurance 98, but I absolutely loved them. Renoun is clearly doing a lot of things right. I would love to get on more of their lineup this Mother's Day at the Basin.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so here are my impressions of the Z-90 in 174cm.

Skier: 5'10", 145 lbs. Working on PSIA L2.

I demoed the Z90's at Whistler on the 2nd day, which turned out to be a powder day. Oops! maybe I should have gotten the Endurance 106. Ah, well, it's all good, right? I went with Lisa's (Lady Salina/Gathermeister) and Tony Crocker's group. Tony mentioned he wanted to do a warm up run on Emerald while waiting for the alpine to open. I started to head towards Emerald, then noticed no one was around me. I glanced back and saw DanoT's jacket disappearing towards the Big Red side. I skated across and let er' rip. We were on a groomed run, so I figured, let's see what these things will do. I noticed that I didn't need to adjust anything in my skiing. My Head Rev 85's are 177, but the Z90's were just as stable and probably more so, on the groom and off on the cut up sides of the run. I quickly caught up with the group. For a 90mm wide ski, these things held an edge. I had previously been thinking I might want a frontside carver in the upper 70's- low 80's, but with the Z90 I don't think I would ever need or use anything narrower, at least in the PNW.

I'm losing track of the sequence of runs. We headed over to Harmony, one run was a fast groomer, another Lisa took us on a steep side pitch with some trees which opened up to a bowl, all in untracked or light tracked up snow. At one point Tony C led us from the top of Harmony around to Little Whistler and into Glacier Bowl. Steeps with untracked and lightly tracked snow. I think I was the only one in the group on skis with full camber and less than 100mm width, but the Z90's handled it with just a little fore-aft adjustment. It was not the best choice for the terrain and conditions, but I was having fun on them.

In the afternoon I took them on some bumps, some more trees and tracked up piles on groomers. They handled them all pretty well. Short radius slow turns, more slalom speed short radius turns, medium-big radius slow turns, and letting it rips wide turns. All good.

That said, throughout the day I was thinking to myself, "these things aren't made of pixie dust, they're not magic, they're just a good ski. I can do pretty much the same thing on my Rev 85's or for that matter my Rev 105's." I was convincing myself that they weren't actually worth $1200, to me, compared to my existing skis or a few other brands I liked.

Then, the next day, I was back on my Rev 105's, and after skiing some cut up crud all morning, realize that my legs were getting tired. I never once had that feeling with the Z90's, rather I was still feeling pretty good at the end of the day. The dampening of the Renoun skis is something you appreciate at the end of the day, and not just when you're skiing them. They absorb enough impact that they allow you so ski longer with less wear and tear on your body.

The other thing that stands out is how compliant they are. I didn't need to adjust anything, or think how I was going to ski a line, I just skied. The fact that I didn't notice any spectacular energy or characteristics of the skis while skiing them, almost obscured the fact that I didn't have to think about them, they just did what I wanted, very stable, yet very quick, very smooth.

I was also thinking this would make a perfect teaching ski. Basically, if I had this, all I would need is a good powder ski and call it good.

Who is this for: probably you, if you're reading this.
Who is it not for: someone who already has a quiver that includes a good frontside carver, and one or two or three flavors of all mountain skis, and has no need to simplify.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, 88's were what was brung and rung, so no complaining about skis being too narrow! ogsmile Agree that the Z-90 (180 for my go) were very easy to ski. At at place like Whistler, too many calories used early on can bite at the end of the day.

Last edited:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@pais alto is in New Mexico and not sure if he will be attending Mothers Day or even The Gathering but he is welcome to get on them.

I'd love to make those get-togethers, and I feel bad about missing previous ones, but some things on the home front have kept me from traveling much these last few years. If there's a chance I can get away I'd love to attend and I'd love to try those skis.

And I don't deserve those kind words about the level of my skiing. I'm a total Jerry.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay. My turn.

Me: 171cm, 61kg. (When in Canada...) Beer leaguer, east coaster, more on the finesse side.

Ski: Renoun Z 90 165cm, courtesy of @Tricia and @Philpug.

Conditions: New snow at Whistler. (See @David Chaus ' s post above.) Really not the best for wringing out this ski, so review is definitely short and incomplete.

Agree with much of what @markojp and David already said. One thing that struck me about this ski, that neither of the others emphasized, is how turny it is. To me it skied like a fat, user-friendly slalom. If you want to to arc turns, but don't want a hard-snow-only tool, this is your baby.

Marko, in talking with Phil, I, too, mentioned the MX 88. But I was thinking less about the stiffness than about the initiation. Dawg always says he likes the way the MX waits for you to be clear about your intentions. The Renoun pulls you into the turn by the ear. At least the 165 does.

I loved this ski on groomers. On lumpy but packed runs it was impressively quiet. I didn't get to try it in real bumps, unfortunately. In ankle deep it was fine but unremarkable. Deeper than that and I was understandably looking for a more soft- snow-oriented design and flex. The tip shape, profile, and flex bear a much closer resemblance to, say, an E88 than to my FX85s, much less an Enforcer 93. Sidecut goes right to the end, and there is not much early rise.

In any case, yes, the magic damping thing feels real, and this ski is a blast. Who is it for? Westerner who wants a groomer-carver ready for double duty when it starts dumping at lunchtime.

Who should pass? Folks not interested in tip and rip, or who want a gradual introduction to the turn.

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Agree with much of what @markojp and David already said. One thing that struck me about this ski, that neither of the others emphasized, is how turny it is. To me it skied like a fat, user-friendly slalom. If you want to to arc turns, but don't want a hard-snow-only tool, this is your baby.

That's where I mentioned the Titan ogsmile

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Here is a shot that @Jim Kenney took while I was skiing the Z-90's
This is an area coming out of Whistler Bowl. ( I think it was just below that sketchy traverse)

Tricia 2.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

When I stay home, anyway. BWAHAHAHA!

I'm skiing them Wednesday at Sun Valley. Should be a full day starting with firm groomers, finishing up with soft bumps in the bowls. I'm stoked at the idea of a longer, wider Head Titan. Thanks @Cyrus Schenck and Kyle at Door 2 Door for making this easy.

Also, @markojp how would you compare them to the Monster 88, which is on my short list as a new do-it-all ski for next season?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Different creatures and hard to compare. The 180 Z-90 skis 'lighter' than a 184 monster and also quicker turning by design. The tip design in the Z-90 speaking only for myself, doesn't track as accurately in deeper cut up snow, nor is it as damp, but its really a matter of degree and long term familiarity. I can say that I wouldn't have any difficulty using the Z-90 as a work ski which days alot about the diversity of its talents. If I had the power to make a prototype, I might make the front end a bit more damp, but at the risk of making a personal preference a larger norm and 'feel' that most wouldn't probably prefer. Id love to try the 98 as well.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1 year later, still loving my Z-90's. Handling everything I throw at them just fine. My only issue, if I can even call it that, is I am starting to wish there was a 170, especially when laying them out. Otherwise, hardback, bumps, ice, crud, etc.. no problem! IMHO, I can't imagine there are many better all mountain (east) skis out there.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
1 year later, still loving my Z-90's. Handling everything I throw at them just fine. My only issue, if I can even call it that, is I am starting to wish there was a 170, especially when laying them out. Otherwise, hardback, bumps, ice, crud, etc.. no problem! IMHO, I can't imagine there are many better all mountain (east) skis out there.
Our winter has been so bad, I've only had mine out twice. I've been on my rock ski otherwise (Monster 83). The two times I've been on them, it impreses me how much more powerful and substantial they are than the M83, which is itself not a noodle by any means. Both more forgiving, and more powerful. What an awesome combination!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its time to follow up on this after skiing two years on this ski.
As all of you know, we have a rotation of skis that we need to get out on and give feedback, so this ski is not the only thing I get on.
The Renoun Z-90s spent some time either being shelved or with other skiers from the site, mostly because I had so many skis that I needed to get on, but I asked Phil to load these in the car for a day trip to Mammoth in mid December.
I had been skiing the DPS Cassiar 79 Trainer in the morning and switched to the Renoun after lunch. Now, I understand that these are two very different skis with very different construction but I was quickly reminded how well the HDT works when you run into the surprise chunky stuff and how easily it moves over a mogul field and slices through mid day crud. It really does give life back to the legs. I loaded these up in the car at the end of the day and had a talk with them about how I wouldn't leave them feeling neglected again.

Side note: While I was looking something up for a friend, I noticed that they have a few days left for their Holiday sale. Now could be a good time to get $100 off on a new pair of Renouns.

Look for a new review from me on the 2019 Endurance 98.