• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Liberty V92
Dimensions: 133-92-110
Radius: 17.5m@179cm
Size tested: 179
Design: All New

The V92 might be the most fun, most forgiving, most capable ski I have had the pleasure to click into. At the same time, it is a high performer that does many things extremely well. Simply stated, it's a blast!

My test pair was mounted with Attack demos on the manufacturer's suggested line. I took it for a shop tune (thank you, Steamboat Ski and Bike!); however, the factory tune was actually pretty good. I skied four days at my home mountain, Steamboat, in fresh groomed snow, boot-high untracked and broken, soft bumps, and even sidecountry.

The hand flex is even without being hinged. The tips are soft (6) but the ski stiffens progressively; it feels like an 8 at the toes, stiffer (10) underfoot, and 8.5 from the heel back. It is a rare combination where a ski flexes so evenly despite the varied stiffness throughout the ski. The shape is very traditional overall, with no taper in the tip and only a bit in the tail. Tip rocker is conservative but present; the tail has a very slight rise. I found it to be quite similar to a Kästle FX85 without taper, which is one of my favorite skis.

The quality of the ski is apparent from the first look. Liberty did a fantastic job with the graphics, using a classy mountain scene with sunset (or is it sunrise?) and a unique teal-blue color with orange sidewalls. The topsheet material has a matte finish that is slightly dimpled. Fit and finish is spot-on and exudes quality. Tips and tails have integrated protectors, which is a really nice touch. When I brought the ski in for prep, my local ski shop (which doesn't carry Liberty) was totally impressed with the quality. Everyone wanted to ski it.

fullsizeoutput_8e8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_908.jpeg

Once out on snow, the V92 proves to be a true western all-mountain ski that you can take out on any day from hard pack to 8 in. of fresh. It is more of a finesse ski than a charger but can be enjoyed by all but the burliest bad-ass skiers or those seeking a stiff, demanding ski. It exudes pop and energy but is still quiet, stable, and precise. It is happy to be skied at any speed and would make a great ski for instructors. The Vertical Metal Technology (VMT) and carbon construction provides a damp, glued-to-the-snow feel that absorbs vibration. The combination of a soft tip plus camber and core provides one hell of a fun ride. You can load it up and pop out of turns for grin-inducing arcs. The V92 is a pretty lightweight ski, so it's easy to pivot and foot steer. Despite its traditional look, the V92 has a lot of technology and skis like no other in its class.

Groomers are just fun. The V92 is a wolf in sheep's clothing; yeah, it's light, yeah, the tips are softish, but this ski can hang with burlier skis that require much more skier input. The vast majority of skiers won't find a speed limit. I really enjoy how this ski feels throughout the turn. It has a huge sweet spot, and turn initiation is buttery smooth and engages effortlessly. When the ski is on edge, the tail will hold as long as you want; when flat, it has just enough rise to allow you release easily without being loose or sloppy. The V92 skis intuitively, happily taking skier input, never fighting or punishing you. This is a ski that many skiers who are building skills should be on; skiers who already have skills will be rewarded.

If I have one issue with the V92, it's that the ends of the tips are soft and can be overwhelmed during high-speed, high-angle carving. Once you realize that you don't need to pressure the tips as much as a carver, you'll be fine; again, most skiers won't have this problem. When comparing notes with Phil, he said it best: "Let the ski do its job." The V92 is a great ski for any turn shape, transitioning from long to short with aplomb. To top it off, it is quick edge to edge, too!

fullsizeoutput_90e.jpeg
camber.jpg

The V92 also excels in off piste and bumps. The soft tips allow the ski to flex and absorb uneven terrain and bumps beautifully. In the bumps, it absorbs energy in the troughs, and the tail is easy to drift and pivot. In boot-deep broken snow, the V92 is quiet and does not deflect at speed. I never felt the need for more tip or tail rocker. The soft tip seemingly planes up, providing more float than the profile suggests.

• Who is it for? The V92 is a fantastic ski for just about any skier from intermediate to expert. It's a fun ski that isn't demanding but can dish out high-level performance: a rare combination of traits and abilities.
  • Who is it not for? Super hard chargers or those looking for a stiff, race-like ski.
  • Insider tip: If you are looking for an all-mountain ski, don't overlook the V92. It holds its own against just about any other ski in the 88-95 class, and does so with a unique feel.
Note: Yes, I bought it :)

Last edited:

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Excellent review Ron. I skied the Liberty V92 last March at the Crystal Mountain demo day. I was on half a dozen other skis in the 90 to 100 range and this ski was the winner. The only other ski that came close was the Nordica E 93. Your first adjective in describing this ski was Fun. That was the first word that came out of my mouth when I was describing the ski to my buddy. He tried it right after me and thought the same thing, fun.
Isn't that what skiing is all about?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder how this ski would compare to a slightly wider ski in deeper snow. As an example, my Motive 95 is my “Western Ski”, and I use in all conditions. I have had the opportunity to ski it in thigh deep conditions with no problem.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I wonder how this ski would compare to a slightly wider ski in deeper snow. As an example, my Motive 95 is my “Western Ski”, and I use in all conditions. I have had the opportunity to ski it in thigh deep conditions with no problem.

The dims on the Motive 95 are 132-95-122 so they are very close indeed. The 95 is an excellent ski but more demanding and IMHO, just not as much fun as the Liberty V92. The V92 is just soooo easy to ski but can really perform at a high level, oh, and the Graphics on the Liberty are really cool. :)

And, @bbinder good technique is why you can ski a 95mm ski in thigh deep snow :thumb: Once you have that, its just a matter of what characteristics in a ski you enjoy the most.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I need to try these.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
How does this compare to the Renoun Z90?

these are very different skis! The Z90 is stiffer , the tips engage very differently and more frontside oriented . IMHO the Liberty is better off piste and in bumps. The V92 is really a stand alone in its feel and performance, its ease and poise and gi-normous sweet spot is truly unique coupled with its chops. If you like a stiff ski, you might not like the V92 but if you enjoy a finesse ski and understand that in this case, easy and forgiving doesn't equate to a sacrifice in performance for the vast majority of skiers this may be a game changer. @Philpug can provide a more in-depth eval/comparison.

I need to try these.

LOL, @Tony S , I was thinking about you when testing this ski. :thumb:

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How does this compare to the Renoun Z90?
Completely different feel. I skis these two back to back a few days ago, the Z90 in a 180 and the V92's I have are a 186. The HDT could be felt immediately with the Renoun. Turn initiation with the Renoun is also more pronounced with it's shorter more abrupt tip design where the V92 is much more gradual and relaxed into the turn. The Renoun wants to make more if a C turn where the Viberty wants to make an S turn.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
these are very different skis! The Z90 is stiffer , the tips engage very differently and more frontside oriented . IMHO the Liberty is better off piste and in bumps. The V92 is really a stand alone in its feel and performance, its ease and poise and gi-normous sweet spot is truly unique coupled with its chops. If you like a stiff ski, you might not like the V92 but if you enjoy a finesse ski and understand that in this case, easy and forgiving doesn't equate to a sacrifice in performance for the vast majority of skiers this may be a game changer. @Philpug can provide a more in-depth eval/comparison.

LOL, @Tony S , I was thinking about you when testing this ski. :thumb:

I definitely want to demo the v92. Lets make it happen! :D

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Now I am really sorry that I didn't demo these when I had the chance. At the time I was interested in the Origin 96 (another nice ski). This review is well written and very complete. I look forward to trying them. Thanks!

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Graham, just dump your V76 my way and get those V92 instead and we'll both be winners :thumb:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Liberty was out at LL this past Thursday and we all got a good amount of time on the V92. Heluva even got some time on the 2020 proto. I think I had 4 or 5 runs in the afternoon cut-up, but Heluva really pushed it through it's paces. I think he'll have video up at some point.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Liberty was out at LL this past Thursday and we all got a good amount of time on the V92. Heluva even got some time on the 2020 proto. I think I had 4 or 5 runs in the afternoon cut-up, but Heluva really pushed it through it's paces. I think he'll have video up at some point.

1- Did you like it?
2- was that the ski from the new line? (not sure I am allowed to put that in writing yet)

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Liberty VMT series skis sold out quickly at our ski shop. I can attest to the beautiful finish on them. There’s a demo pair in the shop...I will have to take it out sometime.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Liberty was out at LL this past Thursday and we all got a good amount of time on the V92. ... I think I had 4 or 5 runs in the afternoon cut-up.

and ...?

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Come to Copper. The 92 is in the demo fleet along with the Helix and some Origins

Great review @Ron Thanks. I need to spend more time on them. I did a couple of runs during the Luv demo day back in Nov. and overall I liked them. My everyday ski is a Z90 in a 174. I skied the 92 in a 179. I think for me I wish the sizing between the Origin and VMT was reversed or at least I think I would like the 92 better in a 176.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January