• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
nope, its def more of a charger, less of a playful ski.
This was consistent with my demo experience. The Evolv 100 would be a great ski for someone who liked the OG Bonafide or skis of that style.

It is damp and smooth but engages well if you drive it. The snow feel is similar to the V92, but the E100 doesn't hook up as quickly and assertively as the V92. Less electric tip into the turn, less pop on the way out. The tempo feels a bit more deliberate than the V92. . . but for charging off piste that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Compared to the K2 Mindbender 99, the Evolv 100 is smoother and more analog feeling (the K2 felt more digital. . .maybe it has carbon(?).

If you like the OG Bonafide but wished it was more connected on hardpack this could be your ski. Or, if you liked the damp, strong feel of the OG Rossi Experience 98, but wished it had been more versatile offpiste and less locked into a single turn shape, the Evolv 100 is that ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@BS Slarver Yep, the 100 is a very damp ski, smooth and sticks to the snow, traits that we would expect from a ski that charges. I do think it would be a good ski for the Montana snow that you get.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
its slightly stiffer but still very approachable; more of a tweak to design. . It was noted in the 2020 ski reviews.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This was consistent with my demo experience. The Evolv 100 would be a great ski for someone who liked the OG Bonafide or skis of that style.

It is damp and smooth but engages well if you drive it. The snow feel is similar to the V92, but the E100 doesn't hook up as quickly and assertively as the V92. Less electric tip into the turn, less pop on the way out. The tempo feels a bit more deliberate than the V92. . . but for charging off piste that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Compared to the K2 Mindbender 99, the Evolv 100 is smoother and more analog feeling (the K2 felt more digital. . .maybe it has carbon(?).

If you like the OG Bonafide but wished it was more connected on hardpack this could be your ski. Or, if you liked the damp, strong feel of the OG Rossi Experience 98, but wished it had been more versatile offpiste and less locked into a single turn shape, the Evolv 100 is that ski.

Man, you got in a nutshell exactly what I felt about the Bonafide (which I've almost owned) and the OG Experience 98 (which I did own for multiple years). Thanks.

So these Liberty Evolv 100s seem very interesting.

(Haven't owned Liberties since the Double Helix some years back, in spite of almost going for several.)

A lot of fine skiers are on those 90 and 96 Origins, especially some laid back, frequent recreational bump dwellers).

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Anyone who is intrigued by this review...there are a few VMTs in V76, V82 and V92 available at Sierra Trading Post. $399, but 25% off coupons are easily had bringing them down to $300 shipped. PM me if you need a code.

Reactions: Ron

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone who is intrigued by this review...there are a few VMTs in V76, V82 and V92 available at Sierra Trading Post. $399, but 25% off coupons are easily had bringing them down to $300 shipped. PM me if you need a code.
That's pretty sweet.

Michael Uxmal

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I really enjoyed and appreciated reading this excellent review and collaborative thread. I'm 6'3", 215 lbs, at 54. I think I'm a strong intermediate with good technique and attack on groom, but I'm not pretty in the bumps, nor steeps. Based on reading reviews, faith, and lack of demo opportunity, I am considering the Liberty V92 186cm and the Salomon QST 92 185cm. Have you ever tried the QST 92 and could you share your thoughts? Majority of my skiing is on piste, at Big Bear and Mammoth.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Glad you enjoyed the review. I assume you are talking about the new 2019/20 version? The QST is a nice ski and I liked it. They made some very good improvements to the ski with the new cork tip but it’s still more off piste oriented. The tip is much slower to engage than the V92 and the overall shape is and rocker profile more conducive to off piste just take a look at both. FWIW I also feel the liberty is more fun.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I really enjoyed and appreciated reading this excellent review and collaborative thread. I'm 6'3", 215 lbs, at 54. I think I'm a strong intermediate with good technique and attack on groom, but I'm not pretty in the bumps, nor steeps. Based on reading reviews, faith, and lack of demo opportunity, I am considering the Liberty V92 186cm and the Salomon QST 92 185cm. Have you ever tried the QST 92 and could you share your thoughts? Majority of my skiing is on piste, at Big Bear and Mammoth.

I demoed both and the QST 92 is somewhat different in feel and performance on snow. It is a bit more off trail oriented than the V92's but still feel quite good on piste. I ended up preferring the Libertys (both the v92 nd the Evolv90 were fantastic)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cage Match in the works now, V92 vs QST 92

Reactions: Ron

Michael Uxmal

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Super thanks for the helpful feedback. It was the 18/19 version of the QST that had my interest, because they are so heavily discounted, but thinking V92 is the way to go. It sounds like the V92 can hold its own in a little off-piste, would you agree? I was set on 186cm because of my size, experience with recent 18xcm rentals and instability with 17xcm rentals, and dropping 20cm from my old Dynastar X9 conventionals. There are a few places discounting the 18/19 V92 in 186cm which is also enticing me to stay with this, but I did take note of your comments above about the V92 skiing long. The height difference is only being to my nose and middle forehead, but it's something I need to put a little more thought into, I think.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Hey Cool! I skied the V92 on several days in powder of 6-8" and more. Our powder is light though. Otherwise, I think its more than fine in a few inches. It is 92mm underfoot after all. So knowing you are referring to the outgoing version, the QST is an even more different ski and do not recommend it for on-piste use. Vague, a little ponderous.

The V92 ski's true to length. I wouldn't say it skis long due to minimal rocker on both tip/tail. I think its more like a traditional ski with just enough rise.Its an easy ski with the softer tip which bends evenly and smoothly. So, at 6' 3" 215, you might go that length especially if you are an accomplished skier and are comfortable with little longer lengths Otherwise, its a tough call. you wont get hurt for ripping around on groomers for sure on the 179

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Sorry if this has been touched upon before, but would these be a good choice for the occasional east coast powder day- and the much more common spring slush day? My daily drivers are 177 Latigos, and I have a pair of 176 Fischer Big Stix 100s for powder/slush, but I really dislike the twin tips on them. Just not my vibe. Thanks for any input!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Define a powder day? For a few inches they are more than fine. I skied them on several l days in light powder (3-6) and more and they were fine. I wouldn’t call these chargers for spring slush. I would grab a liberty Evol90 for that. The evol90 would be preferred for powder days as well.

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Define a powder day? For a few inches they are more than fine. I skied them on several l days in light powder (3-6) and more and they were fine. I wouldn’t call these chargers for spring slush. I would grab a liberty Evol90 for that. The evol90 would be preferred for powder days as well.

Thanks, @Ron . In my mind, we are talking like 4" plus, probably not topping out over 10" around Eastern PA, especially in these climate change days. Sierra is still having a nice sale on them and I recalled the Liberty V line getting good reviews on here so they piqued my interest.

Sponsor

Staff online