• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
I suspect, from my brief experience, @Ron is spot on. I don’t have a lot of time on my Origin 96, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised - despite much reading that said similar - by the hold on very hard pack (east coast). Maybe when my legs get in better shape I’ll want something that carves more tenaciously, but I’m finding them a ton of fun and can easily see thoroughly enjoying them as a OSQ for the limited days I get out. Of course, I do spend a lot of time reading here, so I’m actively figuring out when I can get on some Stöcklis and Kastles and .... :doh:

Thanks also for the comments regarding length, Ron; I’d been wondering about length differences between the V and Origin and you confirmed my expectations. Out of curiosity, what lengths do you ski in the Stormrider and Laser AX?

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
the v92 vs sr88? very different skis aside from the width, succinctly, the v92 is more fun, Carvy/turny and easy. the sr is more serious an even more stable very different skis.

Robert Lutczyk

Booting up
Skier
Interesting. I have the SR88 in 177 that I used as a single ski quiver for Tahoe for a while. I recently (on your and other recommendations) bought the Head V8 in 170cm to ski with kids and family and in short, they have been an absolute blast! So much so that the SR88s now feel ... I guess serious is the right word. I was wondering if the Liberty V92 might be more of the V8 fun feel in a wider platform when there is a little more fresh snow.

the v92 vs sr88? very different skis aside from the width, succinctly, the v92 is more fun, Carvy/turny and easy. the sr is more serious an even more stable very different skis.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

The V92 179cm was awesome at A Basin last week. I would still call it a wide carver but with good off piste capability. For me I liked the eVolv90 179cm better since I tend to venture off piste a LOT and the Evolv was a bit better in bumps and funky snow. But BOTH are fantastic skis. I tend to ski long skis and I didn not feel like I needed any more length in those Libertys. The 179's were money. I want a pair. Yes, first ski that I would actually consider ditching my Monster88's for as my daily driver for non powder days. They were that good.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I guess serious is the right word. I was wondering if the Liberty V92 might be more of the V8 fun feel in a wider platform when there is a little more fresh snow.

yep! the V92 is more versatile, I ski it in several inches without any issue and then its plenty capable once the powder turns into piles. I think more lively and fun than the Head (even though the Head is still a great ski) regarding the Evil, I wish Liberty left a bit more width in the tail. the V92 is 120, the Evol os 114, the Evolvs tails is much stiffer so I am guessing that was reasoning but I was missing a little overall carvebility. Now the Evol 100 retains the 120 tail (of course its wider underfoot) but I felt it was more versatile overall.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I skied the V92 back to back with the Evolv90 and yes, a Cage Match will be in order and one will be coming this fall. :popcorn:

Robert Lutczyk

Booting up
Skier
Great to hear, I actually really like the Head V8 for its purpose, skiing with kids on groomers in decent conditions. If the Liberty V92 is even more lively and fun, it might be something I will consider to replace my SR88 as a wider ski for conditions when there is more snow.

I have the V8 in 170 and the SR88 in 177. 6 feet, 150lbs. V92 in 172 or 179?

yep! the V92 is more versatile, I ski it in several inches without any issue and then its plenty capable once the powder turns into piles. I think more lively and fun than the Head (even though the Head is still a great ski) regarding the Evil, I wish Liberty left a bit more width in the tail. the V92 is 120, the Evol os 114, the Evolvs tails is much stiffer so I am guessing that was reasoning but I was missing a little overall carvebility. Now the Evol 100 retains the 120 tail (of course its wider underfoot) but I felt it was more versatile overall.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Great to hear, I actually really like the Head V8 for its purpose, skiing with kids on groomers in decent conditions. If the Liberty V92 is even more lively and fun, it might be something I will consider to replace my SR88 as a wider ski for conditions when there is more snow.

I demoed both the V8 and the v92 and the v92 just had a higher quality on snow feel and could be driven much more aggressively. The liberty seemed to have a higher top end too. (177cm V8 and 179cm v92).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

If you have the Head V8, and are replacing the SR88? I would go with the Evolv 90 over the V92...IMHO it is a more complementing shape to the V8..where the V92's flair will overlap a bit. IMHO, it will give you more of what you are looking for.

Robert Lutczyk

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the info! Looks like I have some demoing to do next season. Don’t want to get rid of the SR88s unless there is a good reason for it. I just love the Head V8 feel.

Bryan L

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
New member here. Thread revival in progress...Any recommendations on mounting point on the V-92? I bought the 172s late last season with the boots mounted on the recommended line. While I love the skis, I feel like I need to press way forward to fully engage the tips. So I'm wondering if I should remount. (These are the first skis I've bought in a long time without demo bindings, unfortunately.)

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Welcome Bryan! I have to say the recommended line on the V92's (for me) is spot-on a has been the case for almost all of their skis. That said, all factory mount points are recommended and will vary for different skiers. I would recommend that before you remount, you may want to evaluate your skiing stance and technique. I don't know how you ski and I certainly am not criticizing you or your skiing but small changes can result in large results. if this not an issue, I would recommend renting a pair with demo bindings and play around with the mount point (consult a pro on how to do this) and then remount if needed. the only time I moved their mount point forward was on the 187 Orign 96 and I moved it forward 1cm.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Drift here .......
Anyone spend anytime on the Evolv 100 yet?

Thinking Evolv 100 and Origin pro or 112 for a 2nd pair / powder highway cat skiing excursion in February.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I only skied the 100 a few runs but loved it for more of a charger. I picked up the 112 last February but sadly had to get off the snow before I got to get them into a proper snow storm.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hmmm, charger ?
Both the rep and blister had me thinking it was a tad on the playful side of the 100FR spectrum but with a traditional mount and minimal rocker.

Shape and length in the 100 at 179 might be spot on if the flex is right.
Hopefully demos of both E100 and 112 are coming my way in the fall.
O Pro might be just a touch wide to break out all that often.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Hmmm, charger ?
Both the rep and blister had me thinking it was a tad on the playful side of the 100FR spectrum but with a traditional mount and minimal rocker.

Shape and length in the 100 at 179 might be spot on if the flex is right.
Hopefully demos of both E100 and 112 are coming my way in the fall.
O Pro might be just a touch wide to break out all that often.

it is! IMHO, they nailed the Evolv100. fantastic ski. I bought the Origin 112 for really deep days or for heavier storms which we have def' been getting more of.

Bryan L

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Welcome Bryan! I have to say the recommended line on the V92's (for me) is spot-on a has been the case for almost all of their skis. That said, all factory mount points are recommended and will vary for different skiers. I would recommend that before you remount, you may want to evaluate your skiing stance and technique. I don't know how you ski and I certainly am not criticizing you or your skiing but small changes can result in large results. if this not an issue, I would recommend renting a pair with demo bindings and play around with the mount point (consult a pro on how to do this) and then remount if needed. the only time I moved their mount point forward was on the 187 Orign 96 and I moved it forward 1cm.
Good advice. Thanks. Yes, I think I'll work on keeping a more centered stance and see about playing with edge angles. Note that I really do love these (smooth, damp, great edge grip and feel, forgiving)...there's just a LOT of ski up front. I'm a bit older (63) and ~145#, 5'6" and I've tended to drop my skis length to the mid 160s. So I guess it's time to go to the gym.