• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I was able to get on Lasers back to back this am on some groomers. The Lazer is certainly a better carver; it has a stiffer tip and shovel, It’s a bit more damp and has more pop but we are comparing a $1k ski that is 78 underfoot and 175 in length.

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Ron,
Great review; it sums up the experience I had on them as well, especially your point about how the tips ski when trying to really carve on them. I skied them yesterday for the first time at Killington and loved them. I sized down, 172 v 179, and have no complaints (I do have a pair of Brahma's in a 180 so that was the one major decision I had to make, but a quick e-chat w/@DougBriggs helped me decide). They are going to be great in tight spots, chutes, trees, etc. Can't wait to get them out west and while I am in no rush to see Spring, they are going to own corn, crud, bumps, and everything that spring conditions can throw at them! I did not demo, bought them on faith!... the design really intrigued me and the tip profile looks "speed ski-ish," very low profile...as for graphics, they are something special. They look so good, I contemplated hanging them on the wall over the fire place!....decided against it...

Attachments

• p0uaT86ORHKd%qrNU1gNWQ.jpg
    p0uaT86ORHKd%qrNU1gNWQ.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@SkiSpeed Glad you are lovin' them. Thats quite a leap of faith, so I'm glad you aren't cursing me out :). You will quickly adapt to the tip and won't even notice it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am kinda disappointed that Liberty sent us the 186....I am not getting the same experience everyone else is :( #firstworldproblems I guess we will suffer through with the 179 in the V82 :)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am kinda disappointed that Liberty sent us the 186....I am not getting the same experience everyone else is :( #firstworldproblems I guess we will suffer through with the 179 in the V82 :)

Welcome to the world of short people.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

I would be glad to test the 186cm.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Attention Copper Skiers: If these VMT 92's intrigue you, they are available to demo at Center Village.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
update: I have several more days on the V92. nothing new to report other than these have become my go to skis. I had them up at copper on some rather firm snow and with even a 1:2, they had plenty of grip on the groomed and performed predictably well in steeper setup chalky snow too. I skied them yesterday in a foot of fresh and really loved them. just about any ski would have been fine in this really light blower but underneath was pretty firm in some areas and the ski is very workable. Despite the variability, it skied predictably. the tip and upper shovel just absorb so well and snap back to home base very well.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've been skiing the 179cm VMT 82 as my goto ski this season.... I'm pretty blown away by its versatility. Since the 92 is basically the same ski with another 10mm of width, I can see how it would be a Colorado killer.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Yeah i really want to buy a pair of V82 but they are sold out on the pro form :(.

Going with the 186cm, the low rise tips does make me a little nervous in certain types of packed but not hard snow bumps.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I've been skiing the 179cm VMT 82 as my goto ski this season.... I'm pretty blown away by its versatility. Since the 92 is basically the same ski with another 10mm of width, I can see how it would be a Colorado killer.

I think I have 15 days on the 92. Despite its traditional looks and minimal rocker, I have been skiing it in foot deep days and loving it. There are a few times when the snow has been knee deep and yes, I would like a little more rise but it has exceeded my expectations. Now, I would love a 184/6 version 100-102 underfoot with some low profile tip/tail rocker with a touch of taper........ :).

I think the 82 is the near perfect east coast quiver killer.. I actually wrote that in my review that last February. :).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These for sure ski their full length...I have a few days on the 82 in the 179 and it does not ski short at all. We just added a V76 in a 172 and am looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I didn't demo the 172 but for me (6' 170). the 179 is money for all mountain, I would bet the 172 would just be a hoot on the groomed though

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
over 20 days on the V92, nothing new to report as I am absolutely loving this ski. I am anxious to demo the Evolve 100 at SIA in a couple weeks That's a cross between the VMT series and the Origin. I was just on my Factions (which I do really enjoy) but missed the feel and flex pattern of the Liberty's.

AltaFan

Booting up
Skier
I was researching the Origin 96 as a good all-mountain ski, but it seems like quite a few people see the V92 as an on-piste ski that is a sneaky all mountain ski. Is that an accurate assessment? Any direct comparisons between the Origin 96 and v92?

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
sure, I own both.

the biggest, most obvious difference is the design. The Origin has considerable tip/tail rocker with tapered tips and tails. the origin is far more surfy. it feels slightly softer than the V92

The V92 has very little rocker, virtually none in the tails. it has no taper as far as the TR is in the traditional location (not moved down the shovel)

The Origin is still rather beefy underfoot (10) and can absolutely carve on soft snow.

The Origin is nearly as damp, has camber and has gobs of pop and energy the V92 feels a bit more serious but is plenty fun

Both are great in the bumps

The 96 is more fun in loose snow and powder. I had it in about 6-8" in trees and it slaves and pivots effortlessly. I have read other reviews that say its not quick but I question those reviewers abilities (yep, I went there)

The V92 will engage faster on edge and there is more tail throughout the turn

Both are stable at speed. the V92 is more stable but most skiers will not out-ski the 96.

I am skiing the V92 in 179 and the Origin 96 in 187. Because of the Rocker, the 187 to me, feels the same length as the V92 in 179 so dont be afraid of the length which is really nice in 3D snow and bumps.

both have a very consistent even flex. the Tips are slightly softer than the tails on both ski but the flex is even. this is not common. I love the feel of the Liberty's.

Many people want to compare Liberty's and Stockil but they are different. Liberty's have a great feel and are super easy to ski. they perform at a high level. The Stockli are more refined, more damp , stiffer and solid but IMHO, not as fun but are superior ski's, They are similar in that both brands are damp and quiet and again, IMHO easy to ski.

I bought the origin 96 as my powder ski, anything more than 7" or so. I dont want anything wider and in soft light powder, thats all you need. I wanted something with a surfy fun shape.

so to sum it up, want something that is more surfy, less precise and more float, go Origin 96

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I'll answer it this way:

want more groomer oriented carving, more precise ski. You ski with the entire ski and use the tail, you values more technique based skiing but you ski off piste and trees too. = V92 (70-30 on)

You are more about the fun, dont care about a ski being too serious or precise the tip, like to drift and starve turns, spend more time in the off-piste, want more float in powder= Orign 96 (70-30 off)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online