• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What about my 27.5 RS 130 AND my wife's miniature 22s? Or am I pushing it?
I think that would not fit, at least not in the heated portion. Mine are 27.5 and there's room for some soft goods in with the boots but I couldn't fit another pair. And I sure wouldn't want to carry it.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that would not fit, at least not in the heated portion. Mine are 27.5 and there's room for some soft goods in with the boots but I couldn't fit another pair. And I sure wouldn't want to carry it.

Yeah good point about getting too heavy. OK, she will get her own one then :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: I have easily 250 days using my Thermal Trekker and it has held up like a champ. Tossing a loaded 20-25lb bag over your should usually wrecks havoc on on the shoulder straps and after a while you start seeing the seems pull, not the Thermal Trekker, solid. Mind you I am not easy on the bag, it gets tossed in and out of the S.S. Pugski and all I would have to do is use a damp cloth on it to clean it up and it would look like it has 20 day using it. These bags are way over built.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long Term Update: I have easily 250 days using my Thermal Trekker and it has held up like a champ. Tossing a loaded 20-25lb bag over your should usually wrecks havoc on on the shoulder straps and after a while you start seeing the seems pull, not the Thermal Trekker, solid. Mind you I am not easy on the bag, it gets tossed in and out of the S.S. Pugski and all I would have to do is use a damp cloth on it to clean it up and it would look like it has 20 day using it. These bags are way over built.
These bags really do take a beating.

7C8591FF-6D07-457B-819F-9124ABA45122.JPG

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Anyone know if shells/liners can fit in the heater boot compartment separately?
Looks too small, but my hot bag is fading rapidly so I need to find a replacement.

thx!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone know if shells/liners can fit in the heater boot compartment separately?
Looks too small, but my hot bag is fading rapidly so I need to find a replacement.

thx!
I think with smaller sizes you could do that. Kind of stack them like boots in a box. I'll pull my liners and try it.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
thx Andy!
I stack them like boots in a box in my hot bag, shells in first then liners upside down puzzle fit in there.
cheers,
W

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
thx Andy!
I stack them like boots in a box in my hot bag, shells in first then liners upside down puzzle fit in there.
cheers,
W
With 27.5, 313mm BSL I can squeeze them in but it kind of squishes/deforms the liners above the heel pocket. I think you're in smaller boots and it might work better.

ETA: @AKMINK's 25.5 fit with no distortion. Mine are Raptors, her's are Head Vectors.

Last edited:

Brian Streck

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Long Term Update: I have easily 250 days using my Thermal Trekker and it has held up like a champ. Tossing a loaded 20-25lb bag over your should usually wrecks havoc on on the shoulder straps and after a while you start seeing the seems pull, not the Thermal Trekker, solid. Mind you I am not easy on the bag, it gets tossed in and out of the S.S. Pugski and all I would have to do is use a damp cloth on it to clean it up and it would look like it has 20 day using it. These bags are way over built.

I will attest I have 150 days in 3 seasons with my bag. I can't even see any wear on it. It's built like a tank.

I agree with your Ferris Bueller quote. If you have the means.....

Worth every penny. Who can say that about many things they own?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am on my second season with this bag. Really enjoyed warm boots last season. I use a 29.5 boot and it fits in the bag no problem. I would agree with the statement a 30.5 would fit as well. My bag has held up really well, but the heating pads have stopped working this season. The 110 volt controller has broken and the 12v operation (seperate cord) is not working anymore either. I will be contacting Kulkea and hopefully making use of their 2 year warranty. I will post how it turns out. Maybe my big boots cause a wiring issue, don't know. Otherwise I have been really pleased with the bag and its holding up well.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am on my second season with this bag. Really enjoyed warm boots last season. I use a 29.5 boot and it fits in the bag no problem. I would agree with the statement a 30.5 would fit as well. My bag has held up really well, but the heating pads have stopped working this season. The 110 volt controller has broken and the 12v operation (seperate cord) is not working anymore either. I will be contacting Kulkea and hopefully making use of their 2 year warranty. I will post how it turns out. Maybe my big boots cause a wiring issue, don't know. Otherwise I have been really pleased with the bag and its holding up well.
Yep, contact @KULKEA and they'll take care of you.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier

A heated boot bag is a piece of gear that you don’t realize you need until you use one. I first started using a heated bag about five years ago and couldn’t function without one now. Warm boots are one of life’s pleasures. My first heated bag is tattered, torn, and in shambles. It served me well but could have been more durable. Enter the Kulkea Thermal Trekker heated boot bag.

After using the Thermal Trekker for a few weeks, I have some initial impressions. Kulkea did its research on materials and construction. The zippers, tarpaulin bottom, and blend of nylons are bomber. I’ve drug, tossed, and yanked this bag a bunch and can see no signs of wear. One thing that stands out to me is the “performance handle” on the bag’s top. I’ve used it as a grab point the most. I can’t see this handle letting me down like the handle on my previous bag did.

Kulkea also went the extra mile with the adjustable shoulder straps and back support. I’ve found the Thermal Trekker to be easy to hoist and comfortable to carry. I purposely parked farther away from the lodge than I normally would on a few occasions to test the carry aspect. The included sternum strap helps keep the bag centered, and the waist belt kept much of the weight on my hips. Two thumbs up for ease and comfort.

The Thermal Trekker holds a ton of gear. I bring too much stuff to the mountain, and this bag is up to the task. Kulkea says the bag will hold 3800 cubic inches of gear, and I believe it. The large center opening swallows my midlayers, pants, and jacket with room for extra socks, gloves, base layers, boot gloves, and a few other items I probably won’t need but might. A front pocket includes a fleece-lined goggle pouch and storage space for smaller miscellaneous items. The small top pocket is perfect for passes, glasses, gum, and a flask. An added perk to the heated boot compartments is that heat spills over into the main storage area and warms up my clothing. Score!

The two heated side pockets run off a 120V wall plug or a 12V automobile plug and have high, medium, and low settings. I’ve used medium and high the most. The heated pockets wrap around the boot much like a taco shell. The heat comes fast and is consistent throughout the pad. The pockets hold up to a 31 mondo boot. I’m a 28.5 mondo, so no issues there. Sort of. I’ve found the heat doesn’t warm the toes of my boots to the same degree as it does the ankle area where I need it the most to soften my ZipFit liners. Perhaps the toe area sits beyond the heat pad? I’ve fiddled with boot direction and monkeyed with the position of the boots in the pockets, but nothing has helped get the toes hot. I was concerned at first, but after many uses I’ve found no negative effect on the warmth of my feet by not having hot toes to start the day. The crucial part is to have the shell warm enough so that I can enter easily and so that the ankle area of the liners is moldable: the bag does those things perfectly. On my last two-hour drive from my house to the mountain, my boots were warm and ready to go when I was. My boots have been dry each morning on the medium setting when plugged in overnight at the condo. Have I mentioned how nice warm boots are?

I will update this review throughout the season as the bag sees more use and travel. So far the Kulkea Thermal Trekker is a winner.

Any questions? Ask away.
Bought one.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
You’re life has just vastly improved.
LOL
At first I was appalled that your review did not estimate the number of midgets that could fit into the bag. On the other hand, I was heartened to see you becoming more sensitive to the plight of boot bags. :duck:

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
anyone know what the bag by itself weighs? we leave for steamboat in two weeks and wife is begging to pack it in her ski bag since we are flying. we know it won't fit in the overhead bin.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most airlines consider a ski bag plus a boot bag as one baggage item. When I fly, I carry my boots on board in a sampler Dakine boot bag and send my Kulkea thermal bag (stuffed with clothes, etc) through luggage with my skis in their ski bag.

Sponsor