• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My only complaint about mine is it's a spiffy looking bag and I throw my stuff in a corner of any lodge anywhere I ski. Thinking about taking some black spray paint and making it look old and ratty so it's not as distinctive and spiffy.
Just drag it through the parking lot after the snow melts a little and everything starts getting muddy!:D

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Used my Thermal Trekker today.....man, did that feel good putting my feet in my boots this am....like buttah”.

Great bag...very functional compartments...fit all my stuff for a day trip...and the heating of boots was incredible...

Awesome purchase...thank you Pugs for the recommendation...thank you Kulkea for a great transaction.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Really looking at getting one of these. I was told that the boot trekker will fit in the overhead if you take the boots out first to compact it. Putting the boots under the seat(s) I suppose. Has anyone tried that?

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Really looking at getting one of these. I was told that the boot trekker will fit in the overhead if you take the boots out first to compact it. Putting the boots under the seat(s) I suppose. Has anyone tried that?
Yes and all of that is true. Of course I put the boots in the overhead as well but I'm inconsiderate like that

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My only complaint about mine is it's a spiffy looking bag and I throw my stuff in a corner of any lodge anywhere I ski. Thinking about taking some black spray paint and making it look old and ratty so it's not as distinctive and spiffy.
Put some gorilla tape on it. :D

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes and all of that is true. Of course I put the boots in the overhead as well but I'm inconsiderate like that
+ 1. Works just fine. Wear it as a backpack until you board the plane, then pop the boots out and the compressed back fits easily in the overhead bin.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Fellow patroller went to Winterpark last week. He returned with this. Does look like a very nice bag.

20190123_202848.jpg
20190123_202854_Burst01.jpg

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Is there a proper direction to place the boots in the bag? I noticed yesterday that while the heals and midfoot of the boot were really warm to the touch, the toe area wasn't really warm at all. Still works well for getting my foot in the boot thoguh.

TS
Drahtguy Kevin

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there a proper direction to place the boots in the bag? I noticed yesterday that while the heals and midfoot of the boot were really warm to the touch, the toe area wasn't really warm at all. Still works well for getting my foot in the boot thoguh.

I’ve played around with the boot position for the same reason. For my size (28.5), I like to have the heels toward the front of the bag making sure the entire boot is enveloped by the heating elements.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I’ve played around with the boot position for the same reason. For my size (28.5), I like to have the heels toward the front of the bag making sure the entire boot is enveloped by the heating elements.

i'll try that next time. I really never paid attention to the direction. Not sure if this is why I had to kick the Hotronics up to 3 from 2 yesterday.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I would like to add to this thread the outstanding customer service Kulkea provides. I sent them an email explaining that the switch on for the heating element was damaged and explained I didn't know how it happened. The coach's locker room where my Thermal Trekker is usually stored isn't the most friendly environment and things can get damaged with all the traffic and tools moving around. Folks are respectful but accidents do happen. Kulkea shipped me a replacement within hours. They only asked where/when I bought it and if I could send a picture of the damage.

I provided the information requested and from the time I first contacted them until a box was on my doorstep was only two days! They had already emailed me a link to a video on how to change things out before the box arrived. I work in manufacturing and do all the DIY around the house and yard. One of my pet peeves is how instructions are written in maintenance/owners manuals (they always leave something out) and the video made this process simple. It took longer to empty the bag than it took to do the replacement.

I was also thrilled I didn't have to send the bag back to them as I didn't want to go without it and I never missed a day of warm boots.

Other than the switch, the bag has proven to be durable and well made and I have not yet been unable to carry all the gear I need for coaching. My number one concern with it is someone stealing it.

One of my favorite ski gear items.

Life is good,
Ken

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug and @KULKEA I almost bought one of these at last year's Boston ski show and I'm thinking I might get one this year if the price is good. I have a couple questions, though.

First, my Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 boots were warmed up a bit when I had them fitted. Does this bag get warm enough to change that molding? I don't know what temp the fitter had the boots at but maybe some insider here knows what Atomic calls for. I have Instaprint footbeds but I assume those are okay, right?

Second, I have the Swix Norwegian bag, which is a bit huge. The one thing I really like about it is the organization. Those side pockets get used regularly. How's the organization pockets on the Kulkea? Are they sub-divided or just one compartment that you dump everything into?

https://www.rei.com/product/874652/swix-norwegian-team-tri-pack-boot-pack

I'll say one think after seeing the Trekker in person last year, it's one hell of a nice bag.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 boots were warmed up a bit when I had them fitted. Does this bag get warm enough to change that molding?

Same question here, looks like the Atomic Memory Fit oven goes to 117 C - but the boot bag only goes to 140 F / 60 C:
We just got our Thermal Trekkers today. I remembered some questions about the settings so here's a photo of the directions that explain the recommended use for each setting. As mentioned, the temp is 140°F.
View attachment 55363

So where do I order from, @KULKEA best to go direct to y'all or is there a preferred online vendor you could DM me?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
@Philpug and @KULKEA I almost bought one of these at last year's Boston ski show and I'm thinking I might get one this year if the price is good. I have a couple questions, though.

First, my Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 boots were warmed up a bit when I had them fitted. Does this bag get warm enough to change that molding? I don't know what temp the fitter had the boots at but maybe some insider here knows what Atomic calls for. I have Instaprint footbeds but I assume those are okay, right?

Second, I have the Swix Norwegian bag, which is a bit huge. The one thing I really like about it is the organization. Those side pockets get used regularly. How's the organization pockets on the Kulkea? Are they sub-divided or just one compartment that you dump everything into?

https://www.rei.com/product/874652/swix-norwegian-team-tri-pack-boot-pack

I'll say one think after seeing the Trekker in person last year, it's one hell of a nice bag.

Hi @TheArchitect! We worked directly with Atomic and Fischer to find an optimal temperature, without compromising the integrity of any customized aspects of the boots. Most folks that are/would be interested in this product have heat treated elements in their boots; this was of great priority to get right, from the beginning! Thanks for inquiring, we love the questions and the feedback. May your turns be powderfull!

Last edited by a moderator:

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug and @KULKEASecond, I have the Swix Norwegian bag, which is a bit huge. The one thing I really like about it is the organization. Those side pockets get used regularly. How's the organization pockets on the Kulkea? Are they sub-divided or just one compartment that you dump everything into?

I picked up the Kulkea boot bag a few weeks ago. It’s has only seen one day of use but am happy with its organization. Other than the boot compartments there is a main compartment in the middle with a small pocket on top and another pocket in the front that I’m using for a pair of google cases. A slim pocket for passes and trail maps would be a nice addition but the top compartment does just fine for those smaller items. The only thing that I might like to see done a little differently is the zipper on the top compartment. It zips up leaving items prone to falling out when opening it. Having the zipper open down might help or just orient it along the top of the pocket. Not a deal breaker. The bag it top notch overall.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
The only thing that I might like to see done a little differently is the zipper on the top compartment. It zips up leaving items prone to falling out when opening it. Having the zipper open down might help or just orient it along the top of the pocket.
I fully agree - I've had the same issue.

However, I must also agree with many posters in this thread - the bag is a truly wonderful addition to one's life. Who knew that warm boots could be such a plus? I certainly didn't a few weeks ago, but I don't think I'll ever want to be without this bag. @KULKEA have done a wonderful job - I only wish that I'd caught the sale earlier!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Thermal Trekker arrived today. I'm sure I'll miss the compartmentalization of my Swix Tripack bag but putting on warm boots in the morning is such a nice thing. Thanks @KULKEA

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My Thermal Trekker arrived today. I'm sure I'll miss the compartmentalization of my Swix Tripack bag but putting on warm boots in the morning is such a nice thing. Thanks @KULKEA
You'll quickly figure out what goes where best and then it's easy.

TS
Drahtguy Kevin

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m amazed every trip to the hill how much fits in my Thermal Trekker. Warm gloves are an added bonus as the heat from the boot compartments reaches into the main bag!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink