• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
pqUZF3AUQJOSsoHNXRv1Xw.jpg
Salomon S/Force Bold X12 LT
Dimensions: 132-84-116
Radius: 16m@177cm
Sizes: 170, 177, 184
Size tested: 177
Design: All New

After spending a good amount of this season on Salomon's ripper S/Max Rush, I expected great things from the S/Force Bold; what I found out was not what I expected. The all-new S/Force Bold has the power of the S/Max, but what really surprised me was how easy it is to ski and how big of a sweet spot it has. You would think that a ski that has Salomon’s Edge Amplifier sidewall and a sidewall as thick as most 1980s race skis -- along with a binding that also comes from Salomon's (and Atomic's) race skis -- would require ton of input, but that is just not the case. The S/Force is as gentle as a tiger carrying her cub by the scruff of the neck, but make no mistake, that tiger can will show her claws when tested, and the S/Force has that strength when it pushed.

fullsizeoutput_75ba.jpeg

Even though the S/Force shares much of its DNA with the narrower S/Max, Salomon made the S/Force much more compliant at its extremities. The S/Force does come easy into a turn and even with its flared square tail, it can easily be worked out of a carve without any resistance. Where there is a similarity to the S/Max is at speed; other than sacrificing a bit of edge-to-edge quickness, the S/Force is just as confidence-inspiring and stable at speed.
  • Who is it for? The strong; even though the S/Force has a mild side, it is a burly ski and needs some mass to bend it.
  • Who is not for? Weight weenies. The S/Force Bold is not a light ski.
  • Insider tip: The X12 LT race-derived binding does now accept Gripwalk.
ewPn+kNqRuKK1un15wCJcA.jpg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This has been in the queue for a bit and I finally got it posted but in that meantime I was able to get a few more days on this docile beast. Salomon was smart in not just making a wider version of the S/Max but to scale the flex to will what really sets the S/Force apart from it's narrower brother..this is truely a case where less (stiffness) is more. The inherent construction with the beefy Edge Amplifer design gives the S/Force the power you would expect but channeling the metal in the tip and softening the flex realy expanded the sweetspot in this all new ski.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That almost all black top sheet is freakin gorgeous.
It is really sharp looking, it is like a black camouflage. If truth be told..since they brought thte Force name back, I was kinda hoping for a throwbck to the old SuperForce 2S graphic, very well the best graphic that Salomon ever produced.

salomon-super-force-9-1-skis-boots-poles-25-hortonville-americanlisted_29070781.jpg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
It is really sharp looking, it is like a black camouflage. If truth be told..since they brought thte Force name back, I was kinda hoping for a throwbck to the old SuperForce 2S graphic, very well the best graphic that Salomon ever produced.

salomon-super-force-9-1-skis-boots-poles-25-hortonville-americanlisted_29070781.jpg

What vintage is this ski? I don't remember it, so I'm thinking it's probably early or mid-90's?

Here's a better shot:
77406918_934.jpg

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier

After spending a good amount of this season on Salomon's ripper S/Max Rush, I expected great things from the S/Force Bold; what I found out was not what I expected. The all-new S/Force Bold has the power of the S/Max, but what really surprised me was how easy it is to ski and how big of a sweet spot it has. You would think that a ski that has Salomon’s Edge Amplifier sidewall and a sidewall as thick as most 1980s race skis -- along with a binding that also comes from Salomon's (and Atomic's) race skis -- would require ton of input, but that is just not the case. The S/Force is as gentle as a tiger carrying her cub by the scruff of the neck, but make no mistake, that tiger can will show her claws when tested, and the S/Force has that strength when it pushed.

Even though the S/Force shares much of its DNA with the narrower S/Max, Salomon made the S/Force much more compliant at its extremities. The S/Force does come easy into a turn and even with its flared square tail, it can easily be worked out of a carve without any resistance. Where there is a similarity to the S/Max is at speed; other than sacrificing a bit of edge-to-edge quickness, the S/Force is just as confidence-inspiring and stable at speed.
  • Who is it for? The strong; even though the S/Force has a mild side, it is a burly ski and needs some mass to bend it.
  • Insider tip: If you have a GripWalk boot, you need to bypass the X12 LT race-derived binding and go with the Z12 option.

Have you had a chance to ski it in beat up conditions? Crud, bumpy, lumpy etc..?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Have you had a chance to ski it in beat up conditions? Crud, bumpy, lumpy etc..?
I have. When we skied Northstar earlier this week it was 3" of heavy mank over firm conditions underneath and as the day went on and it warmed up with the sun coming out, it got heavier and heavier. Nothing seemed to phase the S/Force. I also did take it down some pretty big bumps, the square tail initially would get caught up a bit but it was just a matter of adjusting technique to allow the tail to follow through better.

Africa

Booting up
Skier
@Philpug How does it compare to some of the other new skis coming out in this same category? Deacon 84, RC one 82 GT (86GT) and the Ikonic 84ti

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is Mr. AmyPJs favorite ski from testing this year. Those who don't know, he's an L3 in his late 50s who still rips with the best of them. He LOVED these skis. I thought nothing would ever pry his E88s off his feet, but he has a pair of these lined up for the fall.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is Mr. AmyPJs favorite ski from testing this year. Those who don't know, he's an L3 in his late 50s who still rips with the best of them. He LOVED these skis. I thought nothing would ever pry his E88s off his feet, but he has a pair of these lined up for the fall.
I have an old friend who is a high level instructor/trainer back east who skis Salomon and I am strongly suggesting this ski for him too.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Is one of these skis "Son of a Blast" or is that a whole different ski?

James

Out There
Instructor

• Insider tip: If you have a GripWalk boot, you need to bypass the X12 LT race-derived binding and go with the Z12 option.
So is this a system binding only,
not available flat?
And this is not the Warden Demo on like the Salomon 88 xdr or whatever that's called.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So is this a system binding only,
not available flat?
And this is not the Warden Demo on like the Salomon 88 xdr or whatever that's called.
System only, it is the Neox derived X12 race binding.
405138_0_N X12 TL_Black_G18.jpg

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I took these pics of couple weeks ago of the binding on the S/Blast.
This binding is similar to what comes on some Stockli Lasers these days, which some raised concern over the plastic internals for adjustment.

upload_2019-4-20_9-3-55.png

upload_2019-4-20_9-4-29.png

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Phil you do you have any ”specs” re the construction? Same as SMax—sandwich, a couple of metal layers ...

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil you do you have any ”specs” re the construction? Same as SMax—sandwich, a couple of metal layers ...
I don't have the exact specs on the construction but they are more similar than not, the difference I feel is the S/Force is much softer and more compliant in flex especially in the tip of the ski. Salomon didn't just make a wider S/Max, but a wider S/Max for mixed conditions. There is a significant difference in weight between the two skis, the S/Force Bold is over 300 grams heavier than the S/Max

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I took these pics of couple weeks ago of the binding on the S/Blast.
This binding is similar to what comes on some Stockli Lasers these days, which some raised concern over the plastic internals for adjustment.

View attachment 71760

View attachment 71761

That is the same guts found in the old Atomic Neox bindings. Went through many pairs. Never ad a issue with them .

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I skied the Salomon S/Force Bold 177cm yesterday at Arapahoe Basin in pretty firm conditions and it was superb. It is a smooth but powerful wide carver. Tip it and push it as hard as you can and the ski just holds. It does want you to finish each turn and pretty much erases any imperfections in the snow beneath you (the tip did not feel super stiff at all). It was not a super exiting or quick ski but it felt quite refined and I felt I could carve all day long on it no matter what the snow was like. I could coerce it into making shorter radius turns and slash across the hill but it felt automatic making medium radius turns.

I would not put a lower intermediate on this ski but it will teach a strong upper intermediate (that is about my size, the ski is not for lightweights) how to make better turns. The ski does let you know when you are not.

Sponsor