• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

psortti

Booting up
Skier
How does it perform in moguls/bumps?
This is an area where many more race inspired carvers doesn’t work that well... What about this ski?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How does it perform in moguls/bumps?
This is an area where many more race inspired carvers doesn’t work that well... What about this ski?
It performed very well in the bumps especially for a ski that is as strong and has the top end this has. The tip design saw to it that the turn initiation was indeed there.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It performed very well in the bumps especially for a ski that is as strong and has the top end this has. The tip design saw to it that the turn initiation was indeed there.
@utskier agrees there. He skied them several runs in everything the mountain had available that day because he wanted to test them as hard as he could.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
this thread is showing up in a LOT of searches...let's bring it back to the top of the list.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
I’m not a fan of system binding skis. The last pair I bought was the Blizzard Crush, about six years ago.

For my Dad. I thought it was a good ski for him; he’s a perennial intermediate, and he’s, like, a thousand years old.

But based on my test of the Sollie Bold, if system is what’s available, go for it. It is a better platform, in every measure of judgement, than the Stöckli AR. On piste/off piste, the Bold is a winner. Feel/dampness/playfulness is all best in test. If you are looking for a narrow 2SQ ski, or a travel ski, this should be at the top.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I was really surprised about this ski. No hype about it prior to SIA so clicking in, I didnt have any expectations. Great snow feel, a ton-o-fun, engages well , held a carved turn beautifully, but released easily for versatility.

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Equally at ease on the hard pack and ice days as well as the cut up crud here on the right coast.
Love this beast!

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Must get on them asap coming season. Having been on Sollies regularly since 09/10, I’m not surprised at all. They put out fantastic skis every now and then (great race products too—some co-produced w Atomic). I’ll probably get a pair of Bold to replace my DD FS 8.8 X-drives.
Are they made in the Atomic factory?

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Must get on them asap coming season. Having been on Sollies regularly since 09/10, I’m not surprised at all. They put out fantastic skis every now and then (great race products too—some co-produced w Atomic). I’ll probably get a pair of Bold to replace my DD FS 8.8 X-drives.
Are they made in the Atomic factory?

Swede, I don’t know where they are made, but they are the first Sollie ski to really blow my skirt up since the Qlab from a few years ago (I own two pair of those now). Compared to your 8.8, they are less of a tank; they feel more... intuitive. I like strong skis that nevertheless execute about as fast as I am thinking, and the Bold excelled where more expensive options fell short.

Furthermore, they deployed skill well beyond the groomed, and surprised me with the amount of confidence (depth?) they offered off piste. What a great 1SQ, or travel ski option.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Swede, I don’t know where they are made, but they are the first Sollie ski to really blow my skirt up since the Qlab from a few years ago (I own two pair of those now). Compared to your 8.8, they are less of a tank; they feel more... intuitive. I like strong skis that nevertheless execute about as fast as I am thinking, and the Bold excelled where more expensive options fell short.

Furthermore, they deployed skill well beyond the groomed, and surprised me with the amount of confidence (depth?) they offered off piste. What a great 1SQ, or travel ski option.

If it says "Made in Austria" somewhere on them. I always found the FS 8.8:s (Made in Austria) very intuitive for the type of ski they are, but perhaps it's just me not thinking fast enough ogsmile Q-labs a very nice ski too--strong tips. The Powerlines I liked as well as the Sentinel from a time long ago, it was kind of similar to the FS 8.8, if I remember correct. Then the S-LAB FIS race skis of course...

glencoe

Booting up
Skier
Hi All.
I’m intrigued by these. How do they compare to Kästle MX83s?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi All.
I’m intrigued by these. How do they compare to Kästle MX83s?
Heavier, damper, more connected to the snow. The MX night be a bit nimbler and tucker but not a connected.

James

Out There
Instructor
That ski has the squarest tail I’ve seen in a long while. Looking at it on the rack. Makes my slalom ski tail look round. They have out square tailed Kastle.
It’s got to be a hoot to stomp the tail.

utskier

Booting up
Skier
Every once in a while a new ski comes down the line that knocks your socks off! As @AmyPJ has mentioned, I have about 30 days on this pair and have yet to put them in conditions that I didn’t come away from very pleased with their performance. That being said, groomers are an absolute riot! These skis are glued to the snow and hold an edge as hard as I’ve been able to push them.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Every once in a while a new ski comes down the line that knocks your socks off! As @AmyPJ has mentioned, I have about 30 days on this pair and have yet to put them in conditions that I didn’t come away from very pleased with their performance. That being said, groomers are an absolute riot! These skis are glued to the snow and hold an edge as hard as I’ve been able to push them.
Just out of curiocity, not that it matters, do you have the X/12 binding or the Z binding on yours?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just out of curiocity, not that it matters, do you have the X/12 binding or the Z binding on yours?
I'll answer because he might not see this for another month. :ogbiggrin: He has the Z. He wanted the other but even the distribution center was out. I'll have to get some video of him laying trenches on these. Or skiing them in the bumps, and crud.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'll answer because he might not see this for another month. :ogbiggrin: He has the Z. He wanted the other but even the distribution center was out. I'll have to get some video of him laying trenches on these. Or skiing them in the bumps, and crud.
I thought as much. The X12 is a bit overkill (and out of the line for 20/21) and IMHO the Z12 on this ski makes it $100 less with a MAP of $899. Such a deal, I tell ya....and the 80mm version is $100 less than that!

utskier

Booting up
Skier

As @AmyPJ mentioned I do have the Z12 on these skis. I have never skied this binding but, in my opinion, what are much burlier bindings in the Salomon line such as the STH bindings. The Z12 seems to be more than adequate for my needs.

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Except for Deep Snow days(not this year) here in the east This is my 1 ski quiver for the east sooo much fun..