• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Please compare with Deacon 84 and Quattro 8.4 Ti.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was on the Fischer again yesterday and planned on coming back into this thread to update it. We were at Mt. Rose yesterday and in the real nice chalky bid buff, the RC One just cut through it all like buttah.
0E0585A3-CC26-45CB-873D-1148160A7A31.JPG

The Quattro 8.4 is very well the oldest ski in the segment and IMHO the ski with the least personality too. The Deacon LowRide 84 is one of the strongest and will want your attention the whole time. The Fischer is probably the most versatile with the biggest sweet spot and preformance range of the bunch...and not just these three but of the segment.

James

Out There
Instructor

Go into a store and look at the profiles. Very different. Deacon and Quattro more similar. Fischer is more off piste with piste chops.
You also left out the Soloman S Force Bold. That's more in line with the Deacon, but check out the tail on the Solly. About the squarest tail I've seen on that size. You like tail pop, there ya go. Nice tip shape too.

It's really about emphasis and what you like - Deacon 84, SForce Bold, Rc One 86.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK, don't laugh, but...has anyone who has skied these ever spent much time on the old AMC 79s? Looking for a high 70s-mid 80's width ski to replace those (I also have a pair of Motive 95s)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Deacon LowRide 84 is one of the strongest and will want your attention the whole time.

I saw a guy the other day ripping some amazing turns. I'm a critical guy and it takes a lot to impress me. He got closer and I saw that he was on the Deacon 84. Shortish length for his height ... maybe 170s and he was 5' 10" ish. I hadn't seen these skis in action before. Nicer looking on snow than on the wall. Anyway, presumably he could have his pick, and these were it. Made me want to try them.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I saw a guy the other day ripping some amazing turns. I'm a critical guy and it takes a lot to impress me. He got closer and I saw that he was on the Deacon 84. Shortish length for his height ... maybe 170s and he was 5' 10" ish. I hadn't seen these skis in action before. Nicer looking on snow than on the wall. Anyway, presumably he could have his pick, and these were it. Made me want to try them.
If you read my review of Deacon 84, it is one of the few skis that I would actually size down on, it is a lot of ski. If it was his pick, it sounds like he chose wisely, if he was in Dalbello, chances are he might be a mountain rep for them, not the worth thing right now. While in the past, I have been pretty critical of some of Volkls offerings but I think they are hitting on almost every cylinder right now.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been skiing the 182 Fischer RC One GT 86 for a while now, maybe six or seven days so far, including in some 4-6" power, crud and on both mild bumps and groomers. I'm really happy with it. This ski turned out to be different than I'd thought, but very good still. It skis in a way that is unique, not like any other ski I've been on: its own version of really dialed in recreational GS turns (or medium radius carved turns), and/or shorter when desired (but fairly versatile as to terrain): it feels like it does much of the work for you. The turn hold is really strong and dynamic, making well-carved turns with less effort than other skis. Like a tank. It has a bit heavier feel than the shorter 175, maybe; than almost all other modern skis, probably; and so far, seems a bit heavy for bumping a lot (but I have to test the ski specifically in bumps more to be sure of this). It handles crud and some powder like a tank also, very stable and strong there, with a very slight bit of float feel, but more just charging through, unflappable.

Compared to the Stockli AX 182 carve, a different feel and dynamic: it is more bombproof, easier at the forceful GS like turns it does best, more foolproof in crud also. So far, anyway. A winner. It has no speed limit, as near as I can tell. It charges when desired, except with more of a strong, cheater GS turn quality than other skis - at least among the non-FIS skis I've been on.

(Probably, most people here will prefer the 175, as with the Laser AX. Not sure, though.)

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
Phil has spent a fair amount of time now on both the 86 GT and the Kastle MX83 (others may have as well that I’m just not aware of). They both seem to be close in carving ability. I’m curious how these 2 compare for bump skiing, crud and light off piste duties? Not sure how similar or different these 2 skis really are, seems the 86 GT has more rocker? But it sounds like either would be fun to own.

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
I skied the 175cm and it was the right size for me (5'11)...
This ski is a completely different animal from its 82mm sibling. The GT 86 uses a .85mm thick Titanal sheet (same as the dedicated race skis), has a different sidecut geometry and feels like a more burly, race-like charger craving a hard-driving pilot to get it to come alive. This ski feels stiffer, stronger and has a heavier, more planted personality than the GT 82. The GT 86 is a serious heavy-metal cruiser that wants to be driven, not ridden. It is damp, stable as can be and takes any pressure you can give it and holds the line as long as you can keep the hammer down. The RC One GT86 is a prime example of what good design can deliver in a directional, frontside-oriented "please-charge-the-terrain" kind of ski. Personally, the GT86 feels more at home trenching groomers than pounding cut-up mixed terrain...but it trenches sooo nicely....Great feel and turn dynamics ...addicting for technical skiers who want a ski to deliver as much unrelenting, grippy, powerful output as you can put into it. Seriously quiet, confident, "professional" demeanor on hard surfaces. Great stuff.

Cantankerous

Booting up
Skier
I am really curious to know how the GT 86 or 82 will compare to the new The Curv--I assume the Curv has a much narrower waist--but both are--I'd guess--powerful piste oriented skis.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I am really curious to know how the GT 86 or 82 will compare to the new The Curv--I assume the Curv has a much narrower waist--but both are--I'd guess--powerful piste oriented skis.

All of The Curv series skis thus far have really been specialized carvers. I own 3 of them and up to the widest model (The Curv GT) they are all precision instruments that ooze gobs of performance if you know how to drive them. The beauty of the RC One GT series is that they can do much of what The Curv series will do on hard pack for most recreational skiers (since those skiers probably aren't able to extract the top end carving performance of The Curv models), but they're also much more accessible and less punishing. So the RC One is more likely the better answer for most skiers, but for those that are technically proficient (and love a technical ski), The Curv series really delivers.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not sure for others, but for me, I demoed a lot of skis in these categories at SIA the past few years, and compared to others in this sort of "cheater" or near or derived from race ski broad category (such as the Volkl Deacons, the Blizzards, the Rossis, the Stocklis and the Heads), the Fischers (both the Curv and the GT RC One) have a characteristic Fischer planted or "heaviness" feel to them, maybe more in terms of feel than actual weight, but maybe in actual weight also, not sure, never checked. That gives them a shared solidity/stability and groundedness in how they ski compared to other brands, and to me fits their characteristic excellence in stability at speed, and in the speed events in racing.

With the RC One GT 86 Multiflex, in my case the 182, I experience that the ski does the work in terms of stability for me more, compared to comparable skis in other brands, in terms of stability/support in the midst of the carve - very dependable, and less work in that way, and thus more confidence-inspiring - and less effort required - at speed (though they may be slightly more work to turn because of that "heaviness" also).

Not sure if the 175 had this same quality as much, as I only demoed it once, and found it quicker edge to edge, understandably.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I skied the Curv GT last week at Waterville. It was my favorite ski of the day. I think that what I liked most about it was that there was no figuring the ski out, and it had no quirks that you had to conform to and it was ready to rip as soon as you got off the lift the first time. The performance was very high, but I felt that it was more forgiving than any Curv ski I had been on before.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I skied the Curv GT last week at Waterville. It was my favorite ski of the day. I think that what I liked most about it was that there was no figuring the ski out, and it had no quirks that you had to conform to and it was ready to rip as soon as you got off the lift the first time. The performance was very high, but I felt that it was more forgiving than any Curv ski I had been on before.

My Curv GT is from a couple seasons ago, but in this low-tide snow season we're having out here, it has been my favorite, most often used, absolute go-to ski. What a ride... :)

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I think the new Curv GT is a really nice improvement over the old one. I think the tip was too on/off on the old one. This ski has no vices.

Sponsor

Staff online