• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
And winner of Ski Magazines Gear of the Year for Men's Ski...

https://www.skimag.com/gear/gear-of-the-year-2020

Damn, Damn, Damn, Damn, Damn,..................................... ;)

Now there's a greater chance it's going to be out of stock quick at the few retailers that even carry Fischer. Damn.

I just checked my local Fischer dealer and he's showing sold out on the 175cm length already. Guess I'll have to call and see what the story is.

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Expect to see these soon in an upcoming Cage Match.

Ahh, the wait for a cage match is killing me! I need to order a set before pro inventory is gone. An ex-racer like myself at my shop said he really liked the GT86 but also seemed to think that for a big guy like me (230+lbs) who likes to go fast on groomers that I might like the Brahma 88 a bit more. More stable and more comfortable at high speeds on the hard stuff. Thoughts? I suspect I'd probably be very happy with either, this would be my ski to bring on trips out to the Rockies.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Ahh, the wait for a cage match is killing me! I need to order a set before pro inventory is gone. An ex-racer like myself at my shop said he really liked the GT86 but also seemed to think that for a big guy like me (230+lbs) who likes to go fast on groomers that I might like the Brahma 88 a bit more. More stable and more comfortable at high speeds on the hard stuff. Thoughts? I suspect I'd probably be very happy with either, this would be my ski to bring on trips out to the Rockies.

When you free-ski are you more likely to turn a lot or just do some high-speed cruising? If you're more of a turn guy (like me), I think you would prefer the 86 GT.

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When you free-ski are you more likely to turn a lot or just do some high-speed cruising? If you're more of a turn guy (like me), I think you would prefer the 86 GT.

Thanks Noodler, I like to rip some fat gs/sg arcs and lay trenches! I think you're probably right on the Fischer for me.

So many good skis, not enough $$ ;)

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
"I like to rip some fat gs/sg arcs and lay trenches!"

Sounds like a Brahma 88 or Monster 88 might be great--you also mentioned using them in the Rockies--I like the 186cm Enforcer 88 for that, as it is very versatile...

The Liberty E90, Fischer Ranger 92Ti, and Renoun Z90 could also be worth looking at.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks Noodler, I like to rip some fat gs/sg arcs and lay trenches! I think you're probably right on the Fischer for me.

The length of these might make a real difference. The 175 length reviewed, I'm told, is a lot more turny than the 182. I know of a Fischer shop that favors the 182, because they like what @MNskier likes: "to rip some fat gs/sg" turns, with a ski that handles both groomers and some powder/crud exceptionally well - option to charge.

I often prefer skis that have a wow factor, that is, something they do better than other skis I've tried. For me, either length RC One GT 86 has the potential to do that, just differently.

Similarly, for me the Brahma had that wow factor, in that it rips groomers with big turns or short turns, your choice, but also is a standout in bumps and not too deep off piste. (I've known folks who abuse this ability by using these as their powder ski, short-turning a lot.)

So if @MNskier wants the ski to also handle bumps in a super way, then the shorter 175 GT might do that - I'll have to see for myself or be told "yes" by others - but the Brahma, in say, 180 or longer for a big guy, definitely will. It's probably more fully all mountain, whereas the GT 86 seems to be more frontside biased, with a wonderful powder/chop difference.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

I think @ski otter 2 has it right. If you do go with the 86 GT, then you would probably prefer the longer length. The 175 is a turny ski for its stated sidecut. I like to turn... a lot.

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would definitely be buying the longest length of whatever one I buy. Partly because of my weight, and partly because of my prefered turns. I also have a pair of Redster S9's for coaching and the occasional run through the gates, as well as a pair of Volkl cheater Racetiger GS skis from several seasons ago if I want to ski some GS. I don't haul those out west however, because of the narrow mission scope. Plus, to be honest, if I'm skiing all day I want a ski that will still be fun if I relax a bit (read: get a little lazy or am skiing at kd friendly speeds).

Thanks!

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The length of these might make a real difference. The 175 length reviewed, I'm told, is a lot more turny than the 182. I know of a Fischer shop that favors the 182, because they like what @MNskier likes: "to rip some fat gs/sg" turns, with a ski that handles both groomers and some powder/crud exceptionally well - option to charge.

Similarly, for me the Brahma had that wow factor, in that it rips groomers with big turns or short turns, your choice, but also is a standout in bumps and not too deep off piste. (I've known folks who abuse this ability by using these as their powder ski, short-turning a lot.)

So if @MNskier wants the ski to also handle bumps in a super way, then the shorter 175 GT might do that - I'll have to see for myself or be told "yes" by others - but the Brahma, in say, 180 or longer for a big guy, definitely will. It's probably more fully all mountain, whereas the GT 86 seems to be more frontside biased, with a wonderful powder/chop difference.

I agree with Ski Otter's thoughts above. I have skied both skis, especially the Brahma which I own. I am a big guy, 6'4", 240 lbs and I was on the 175 cm RC One and it was definitely too short for me. Didn't like it in moguls, its pretty edgy and stiff, and heavy. It felt almost like a slalom ski to me ( I have a 175 cm Rossi slalom ski that I have taken into moguls) as its very turny and will carve a short radius turn. It wants to be on edge to turn, and feels very precise. I had the RC One in soft spring snow, so it was not in its element the day I tried it. I would like to try the 182cm sometime, but it is not a ski I would look to take out west, unless I planned to stay on groomers only. It will handle some off piste due to its width, but roughed up groomers is as far as I can see it excelling at off piste. Others (who are smaller) have a much better impression of the ski off piste.

The Brahma on the other hand, is an off piste ski that can lay trenches on the groomers. Its coming from the opposite direction as the RC One. The Brahma is a ski I would take out west for sure. In the 187cm length I own, it doesn't do short radius turns, but it pivots really easily and will slarve a short radius turn with the best of them. If I zipper line "slarve" through moguls, the ski is fantastic. The Brahma handles high speed GS turns excellent and feels like a powerful, stable ski. Its squarely in the all mtn category with very good carving chops.

As a shameless plug to MNskier, I have my187cm 2018 Brahma's ($250) for sale at this thread, for cheap $$. I had to choose between keeping my Salomon X-Drive 8.8 and the Brahma, and the X-Drive had multi norm bindings so I can use my other boots. So the Brahma's are for sale.

https://www.pugski.com/threads/blizzard-brahma-2017-18-187cm.15283/

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I agree with Ski Otter's thoughts above. I have skied both skis, especially the Brahma which I own. I am a big guy, 6'4", 240 lbs and I was on the 175 cm RC One and it was definitely too short for me. Didn't like it in moguls, its pretty edgy and stiff, and heavy. It felt almost like a slalom ski to me ( I have a 175 cm Rossi slalom ski that I have taken into moguls) as its very turny and will carve a short radius turn. It wants to be on edge to turn, and feels very precise. I had the RC One in soft spring snow, so it was not in its element the day I tried it. I would like to try the 182cm sometime, but it is not a ski I would look to take out west, unless I planned to stay on groomers only. It will handle some off piste due to its width, but roughed up groomers is as far as I can see it excelling at off piste. Others (who are smaller) have a much better impression of the ski off piste.

The Brahma on the other hand, is an off piste ski that can lay trenches on the groomers. Its coming from the opposite direction as the RC One. The Brahma is a ski I would take out west for sure. In the 187cm length I own, it doesn't do short radius turns, but it pivots really easily and will slarve a short radius turn with the best of them. If I zipper line "slarve" through moguls, the ski is fantastic. The Brahma handles high speed GS turns excellent and feels like a powerful, stable ski. Its squarely in the all mtn category with very good carving chops.

As a shameless plug to MNskier, I have my187cm 2018 Brahma's ($250) for sale at this thread, for cheap $$. I had to choose between keeping my Salomon X-Drive 8.8 and the Brahma, and the X-Drive had multi norm bindings so I can use my other boots. So the Brahma's are for sale.

https://www.pugski.com/threads/blizzard-brahma-2017-18-187cm.15283/

I'm a lighter weight guy who'd want the current build 180, or I might take you up on that.

For me, with the RC One, it's going to be a question of can it do light powder/crud and mild bump duty with a zest. I also figure it will be good on steeps, not just groomed steeps but steeps that are vertical enough to not build big bumps, in mixed snow conditions.

I've wondered about this because a few years back I demoed the widest Blizzard Quattro 181 (the 8.4 ti, not the RX.) on a powder/crud day here in Colo, and was surprised how well it did fall-line skiing late on a powder day in crud/mild bump build up. A hoot. But it was still a very heavy ski and felt like it, so I didn't buy. These RC Ones, I thought, might have a similar but improved ability; they have a lighter build, especially in the tips and tails; and thus hopefully a lighter swing weight, and thus maybe are a real breakthrough in the sort of situation/capacity the wide Quattro almost mastered.

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Perhaps I’m asking too much from one ski. I would love to get a pair if Firebird HRCs or Brahma 82s, and then something wider like a Binefide or Enforcer. But, realistically traveling with the whole family two pairs for just me is a pain. And the vast majority of the time I’m going to be on groomed anyway, a good chunk of it at slower speeds with the family.

Which brings me back to the Fischer. Or perhaps the Decon 84. Or the Brahma 82? Enforcer 88?

Ugh, wish I had been able to demo.

Thanks again for the input!

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can someone who's been on these Fischer 86:s and the Salomon Bolds give a brief comparison?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Can someone who's been on these Fischer 86:s and the Salomon Bolds give a brief comparison?

The Salomon's are heavier feeling on the snow; more of a "road hugger". Quite stable and reliable, but not really playful in that you can't really throw them around if you want to.

The 86 GT can do everything the Bolds can and more. They are just as damp/stable without feeling heavy on the snow. I would give them a notch above on their turning prowess. I could really lay these over for an 86mm ski. The rocker profile is one of (if not) the best I've ever ridden for ski in the all-mountain category. I was impressed with these everywhere and was able to get them in varied conditions across the day that I tested them. Full disclosure: I am in the process of buying a pair. :)

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious on a comparison between the 2018 RTM 84 (or 86's) and the Fischer RC One....

Trying to decide if I want to replace my RTMs, I've never been wowed by them, but they've also done everything I've asked of them.

Sponsor