• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How does this 2020 GT 86 ski compare to the 2018/2019? ski labeled - "Fischer RC4 The Curv GT" - that is 80mm under waist?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So it's damp enough, not a light twitchy thing?
Barfatex eh?

I've been corrected more than once by a French friend on this. In French, "gras" = fat.
It's "coup de grâce".

Interesting... I wonder how it morphed into "gras" in so many places. It's not even pronounced the same.

P.S. I just checked Google and it looks like LOTS of people make this same mistake. So I feel vindicated by the sheer volume of the same error. ;)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Oh, I almost missed responding to @James' question about the actual skis and not the part about me not understanding French terms...

The damp thing was surprising. This is not one of the more typical light "twitchy" Fischer skis. They do kind of have a reputation for the air carbon construction types, but this one is not nearly as "reactive" as that type of construction. Feels much more like a typical race-level sandwich sidewall build, but the tips and tails have only a center positioned, wide titanal strip that extends the full length. It's the build design on the left in the image below.

2020-Fischer-Skis-Preview-Core-Construction-Slide.jpg

The BAFATEX stuff? Who knows, but it comes from the sailing industry. Whatever it is, I like what it does for this ski. It looks kind of funky through the topsheet graphic (like there's something wrong with the ski), but now that I know that it looks that way on purpose, there's no concern.

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting... I wonder how it morphed into "gras" in so many places. It's not even pronounced the same.
I think because we thought that the 'c' was silent at first? Then it got spelled with an 's'. Plus we'd tend to say French grâce like grace before dinner.
So, just make it an 's' then apply French pronunciation like we know what we're doing. Which, is pretty ridiculous.

So are those lines the Bafatex?
IMG_6440.JPG

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So are those lines the Bafatex?
View attachment 73028

I think so based on this web site page and this one. However, the pattern seen in these sections of the tips/tails of the finished skis looks more like a "coated" fabric.

I tried to find a close-up image of this area of the skis and this is the best I could find:

fischer-ski-bafatex.jpg

Edit: Found an even better one:

fadengelege-fischer-ski.jpg

Edit: and another...

50643990_546193815862840_7203013781107263995_n.jpg

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
It’s like the CurvcGt and the Pro Mountain 86 has a baby. It’s more frontside than the PM 86 but note versatile than the GT. The ski it makes me think of is the Kastle MX 84 in terms of where and how I’d use it (which is basically always).

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It’s like the CurvcGt and the Pro Mountain 86 has a baby. It’s more frontside than the PM 86 but note versatile than the GT. The ski it makes me think of is the Kastle MX 84 in terms of where and how I’d use it (which is basically always).
I will add, this is the ski that the upcoming Stockli AR wanted to be.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
System only right now.

Well, really it's just a PowerRail binding. I don't really count that as an integrated system binding, but rather a "packaged" binding. Can't buy it flat, but can easily remove it and do something else if you want to.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Fischer Curve DTX ski that came with the powerrail binding setup. I will say it is pretty light weight setup and didn't give the skis a heavy feel. It seemed to function fine for me, and its easy to step into. It is also adjustable with just a lever, so its easy to move your bindings to find the sweet spot. I bought a set of new toe and heel pieces that slide right on and are Multi Boot Standard compatible so I can use my AT boots with the skis. When I race coach I like the walk mode and rubber soles of my AT boots. I am standing a lot more than skiing, usually.

I am thinking about putting the powerrail binding on a Stockli Laser AX that I recently purchased from MDF. I can use the extra set of toe and heel pieces that came off the DTX if I buy just the powerrail and mounting hardware. I also have a pair of Tyrolia Attack13 Demo bindings that I could mount as another option.

Noodler, you seem to have experience with the AX's and plates in general, what do you think of the powerrail set up and which would you recommend for the AX. I am interested in why, as well.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I have a Fischer Curve DTX ski that came with the powerrail binding setup. I will say it is pretty light weight setup and didn't give the skis a heavy feel. It seemed to function fine for me, and its easy to step into. It is also adjustable with just a lever, so its easy to move your bindings to find the sweet spot. I bought a set of new toe and heel pieces that slide right on and are Multi Boot Standard compatible so I can use my AT boots with the skis. When I race coach I like the walk mode and rubber soles of my AT boots. I am standing a lot more than skiing, usually.

I am thinking about putting the powerrail binding on a Stockli Laser AX that I recently purchased from MDF. I can use the extra set of toe and heel pieces that came off the DTX if I buy just the powerrail and mounting hardware. I also have a pair of Tyrolia Attack13 Demo bindings that I could mount as another option.

Noodler, you seem to have experience with the AX's and plates in general, what do you think of the powerrail set up and which would you recommend for the AX. I am interested in why, as well.

The PowerRail is a decent setup (not the ultimate in lateral rigidity, but sufficient for most uses), but it is limited if you want/have to make adjustments to your binding delta. There's no easy what to shim the toe without changing to the "Twin PR Base". This is the 2-piece base for PowerRail bindings that would allow the installation of a custom shim under the toe base.

As with any binding recommendation, most of us that have been around this sport for a while will always steer you to the highest end binding that you can afford. It's not about the DIN range, it's about the quality of the binding design/build/materials. As long as the binding DIN range includes your recommended setting, go with the "big boys". ;)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How is the speed "range of fun" on these?

Some days, I just like to zip around at lower or medium speeds, so have no interest in something that only comes alive at higher speeds.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How is the speed "range of fun" on these?

Some days, I just like to zip around at lower or medium speeds, so have no interest in something that only comes alive at higher speeds.
I know what you are talking about. What I found with these is that they are good at 'moderate" speeds and do not need a lot to get their jam on.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I skied these again at Mammoth on some of the best mid winter spring conditions. Even in the 6-10" if heaver snow that we skied in the morning, the RC One 96 was solid as a rock and didn't get tossed around at all. One of the reasos for this is the new tail design. If I was on the outgoing Pro Mountain 86, I am sure I couldn't have had as much fun, it is the taper in the new RC One that allowed the ski to be worked in the heavier snow...the current PM86, the tail would have lockied in and not been as accommodating in the deeper snow.
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG