Featured Individual Review Long-Term Review: 2019 Salomon S/Max Blast

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews and Comparisons' started by Philpug, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

WSFUt9fqTcibaChQnkzKZw.jpg
    Salomon knows how to make hard-snow skis; we just wish it would offer them on a more consistent basis. Since wishing is not a good business plan, we are going to light a fire under the consumer's ass and create some awareness of the all-new S/Max collection from Salomon, specifically its halo model, the S/Max Blast.

Ace8pfBFQem01M363QeRPA.jpg
    The S/Max 12 and Blast share the same platform (121-72-106 with a 17m radius), but they differ in how they attach to a boot. The Blast integrates the Atomic Neox-derived X12 TL binding, which is one of the more efficient 4-12 DIN interfaces. IMHO, its only shortcoming is that it is not GripWalk-compatible, but Salomon does offer GW users both the S/Max 12 with the Z12 Walk and the S/Max 10 with the Z11 Walk.
    hqBOpct%ReqlXimZGLbLJw.jpg 475Y8sIqTF2dbacxkXzjOw.jpg

Where most of the full-sidewall skis on the market now are about 15mm thick underfoot, the S/Max’s Edge Amplifier sidewall is just over 20mm. That 25% difference makes for an extremely responsive ski with tenacious grip. The Edge Amplifier sidewall gets power to the snow with authority. The out-of-the-box base grind on these skis is also of race-room quality with its thumbnail grind.

On the snow, the Blast is akin to taking a 400HP sports sedan and letting it rip. Yeah, there's always the risk of losing your pass, but it is your choice: you will be capable of skiing at irresponsible speeds, but this ski is fun at mortal speeds, too. Don’t be fooled by the 17m radius (at 175); this ski can make some serious short turns. IMHO, the 17m is a red herring, and by no means are you limited to that; I would even be comfortable saying that the radius actually skis shorter than what is published.
    fullsizeoutput_7338.jpeg

We plan on getting some more time on these as the season goes along, and I am hoping to surprise @ScotsSkier again with another ski that he never would have considered. Stay tuned, and in the meantime read what the Pugski testers and I said about this scalpel this past spring HERE.​
    • Who is it for? Chargers; this ski likes to run.
    • Who is it not for? Mortals, don't worry: Salomon has the S/Max 12 for us.
    • Insider tip: GripWalk wearers need not apply.

DoryBreaux, TimF, Swede and 3 others like this.
  2. Thread Starter
    TS
    Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

I took the S/Max blast out again this AM, the first chance I had to run it top to bottom at Mt. Rose, the initial review was from when all we had to ski was the Wizard lift at Rose. Running it from the top of Rose I was able to let the Blast stretch it's legs a little, I would have preferred a little less traffic but there were moments where the Blast could shine. This ski is indeed a "get your pass pulled" type of ski, it will happily ski at whatever speed you are capable of. The Edge Amplifier Sidewall isn't just marketing jargon it is definitely beefed up under the foot..how much beefier? Well with the X12 TL binding on the race derived plate, each ski weighs in at almost 3.5Kg...where most of the other skis in this segment weigh closer around 3.0Kg. This S/Max is not heavy for the sake of being heavy, they are all muscle and feel that way on snow. I do plan on bringing these up to @smoothrides to up the tune to either a .5/3 or at least a 1/3...I want to see what she's got...and my gut is, these have more on the top end than I can give..so I might let @ScotsSkier play with them for a day for Masters perspective and see if he can find their limit.

DoryBreaux and Mendieta like this.
  3. TimF

TimF Putting on skis Skier

I'll have the opportunity to try the Dyn Speedzone 12 at my local hill this year. Hopefully I can then compare it to the Sal S/Max 12 via the Cage Match and extrapolate to the Blast to see if I would like a more damp vs lively ski as the reviews indicate. Replacing my Blizzard Power 800S and going to move up from 167cm to 174cm for longer turn shape and more stability

Philpug likes this.