• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_1765.JPG

Cassiar 95 next to all new Cassiar 94

Ever ski a ski and think, "Yeah, this is just what it should be" -- only to try its replacement and think, "Damn, this is even better; how do they do that?" Well, that's how it is with the all-new DPS Foundation Cassiar 94. While the outgoing model is quite good, light and playful with a whimsical personality, the new one retains all of that but is now stronger and has a more serious side.

DPS knew it had something with the Foundation collection, but being a perfectionist, Stephan Drake wanted more. Stephan and his team took their very well constructed Foundations and put that design into the proven Powderworks chassis and came up with the Foundation Cassiar C2 94. It just rolls right off of the tongue, right? Well what this new ski lacks in verbal smoothness, it makes up for in on-snow performance.

As much as I liked the outgoing 95 -- hell, it was a Tester's Choice last year -- this new shape really is that much better. I know some bigger testers (eg, @Drahtguy Kevin) found the limits of its narrower sibling, the 87. As for me, I found the Foundation Cassiar 87 in the 185 just right; the 185 is just right for the 94, as well. The new Cassiars are fun yet more stable than I expected. (SPOILER ALERT: What do you think I am going to say when I review the all-new 82?)

The Cassiar 94 is really a no-excuse ski. The outgoing model earned some “yeah, but’s”; there were a few limitations, but we rationalized them because it was an entry-level premium ski with dashing good looks. The new model retains the good looks but has the chutzpah to back them up.
  • Who is it for? A premium ski at an entry-level price without entry-level performance. Sound familiar?
  • Who is it not for? The biggest of the big chargers -- unless you want a playful ski.
  • Insider tip: Size up, and when you order the skis, step up and get the Phantom Base Glide Treatment.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_604c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_604c.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 101

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have four days on Cassiar C2 94 and couldn’t be more stoked to keep riding them. The 94 picks up where the 87 left off. I’m not sure the skis truly are stiffer or if the extra width makes them seem that way. Whatever the case, these skis do it for me in every snow condition and terrain I’ve skied them. I haven’t had a true powder day on them yet, but the boot-deep wind load was pure joy. And exhilaration. I find the 94 super stable and predictable from firm groomers to off piste. The even flex makes the DPS fun in bumps and trees. I’m amazed by the durability of the base. I’ve taken the 94 into some sketchy terrain. They are no worse for wear. DPS is certainly on the right path with the latest versions of this Foundation series.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cagematch type of question, but what would be the main contenders for these? Thanks!
We will have a few new options for next season. Stay tuned.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just skied the Cassiar 94 over the past three days at Mt. Rose, Day one was perfect mixed condtions from groomed to nice soft mid winter quality dry snow. Day two was 12" of Utah quality powder and day three was leftovers from awesome day prior. I will say, I cannot think of a ski that I would rather have skied over these three days. The 94mm width was nimble in the mixed conditions and wide enough to give me the float I needed in the fresh powder.

I wil reiterate, if you are looking for a ski in the mid 90mm for mixed conditions and you want some uniqueness, the Cassiar 94 NEEDS to be on yoru short list.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Love these skis! I used them during the gathering in Utah and had a blast. Do they handle pow? See my avatar (avatar has since changed but my like for the skis hasn't). I had a blast on them and this was my first true "real" powder day with super light fluff. After the powder and chopped up stuff, they still work so well on the groomers. I really like the 87 too; if I had to choose one it would be difficult.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Love these skis! I used them during the gathering in Utah and had a blast. Do they handle pow? See my avatar. I had a blast on them and this was my first true "real" powder day with super light fluff. After the powder and chopped up stuff, they still work so well on the groomers. I really like the 87 too; if I had to choose one it would be difficult.

I tried them in 195on demo day and also liked them a lot. Smooth ride. It was slushy and cruddy at the time. Spring heavy chop up. I thought they did really well on the chopped up areas. I did think the z90's 180cm were a little better on chopped up. But these look like they would have more float in pow. They have the smooth ride in common, but the z90 is more of a carved. And this one more of a powder ski. I found the z90 smoother, too.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
I just skied the Cassiar 94 over the past three days at Mt. Rose, Day one was perfect mixed condtions from groomed to nice soft mid winter quality dry snow. Day two was 12" of Utah quality powder and day three was leftovers from awesome day prior. I will say, I cannot think of a ski that I would rather have skied over these three days. The 94mm width was nimble in the mixed conditions and wide enough to give me the float I needed in the fresh powder.

I wil reiterate, if you are looking for a ski in the mid 90mm for mixed conditions and you want some uniqueness, the Cassiar 94 NEEDS to be on yoru short list.
Cassiar 94 or StormRider 95?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cassiar 94 or StormRider 95?
The Stockli has a feel unto itself, a premium ski. But it is also a $1099 ski where the Cassiar is hundress less, not really a fair comparison. I like the the shape of the new Cassair a bit better, the elongated tip really comes into a turn nicely and can be worked with ease a little more than the Stockli but the Stockli is a damper ski and has a higher top end and is silkier. You would think the SR95 woudl go up against the Alchemist 94 but these two skis have even less of a similar feel with the lighter Alchemist being brighter on the snow and not as warm but synthetic feeling, with that comes a more techical feel.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Which would be better in tight trees, both, say, 175 or 178?

If I really, really like my Laser AX, keep it in the family, stick with SR95?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'm glad to see the thoughts above reinforcing my standout ski from today's demo day at LL. The new Cassiar 94 is one impressive ski. The edge grip was absolutely tenacious in today's conditions (hard pack to start, scraped off leftovers by the end of the day. This ski is absolutely on my radar now to replace my beloved Scott Crusades. DPS puts a lot of thought into the shape of their skis and the Cassiar 94 is so surprising in how it works on snow. I really wish there would have been some soft stuff to get this in.

SLC Skier

Booting up
Skier
Could this be considered a slightly more forgiving mid 90s ski than skis like the Enforcer 93 and M5 Mantra, but not a noodle either? I've been thinking about the Enforcer 93 as my narrower ski for variable snow in Utah but thought that it skied just a bit long in the 185 than I would prefer (I am 5'10 180). Would this still handle variable conditions well with a touch more agility in trees, bumps and steeps than the E93? Any insight as to how this compares to the 2020 QST 99 which I have skied?

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
The Stockli has a feel unto itself, a premium ski. But it is also a $1099 ski where the Cassiar is hundress less, not really a fair comparison. I like the the shape of the new Cassair a bit better, the elongated tip really comes into a turn nicely and can be worked with ease a little more than the Stockli but the Stockli is a damper ski and has a higher top end and is silkier. You would think the SR95 woudl go up against the Alchemist 94 but these two skis have even less of a similar feel with the lighter Alchemist being brighter on the snow and not as warm but synthetic feeling, with that comes a more techical feel.
Any chance you can elaborate on the DPS Cassiar Foundation 94 vs. Stockli SR95? What would be the love child of the DPS 94 and the “silkier” feel of the SR95? What would be the equivalent SR95 size compared to a DPS CF94 @ 185?

Sponsor

Staff online