• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Review: 2018 Nordica Navigator 85

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Astral is like the Black Pearl but with a better tail finish in the turn.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Astral is like the Black Pearl but with a better tail finish in the turn.
Is it the same as the Navigator 85, or different construction? I get conflicting info when searching.
I remember loving both skis when testing.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Is it the same as the Navigator 85, or different construction? I get conflicting info when searching.

Different wood in the layup. Softer than the navigator, but the navigators aren't super burly. I know a couple of strong women who love the Navigator 90. Saw Mike Rogan skiing a pair last season... didn't look like an intermediate ski on an intermediate skier to me. ogsmile

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its different but with similar properties.
Does that make sense?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, different wood that is stiffer?
Everything else about them does look identical.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its been a while since I flexed the two side by side, but I believe the Navigator is stiffer.
If you get a chance, go to a shop and flex two side by side.

FWIW, I really really like the Astral 84 and 88.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Yes, different wood laminate... softer, lighter.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Its been a while since I flexed the two side by side, but I believe the Navigator is stiffer.
If you get a chance, go to a shop and flex two side by side.

FWIW, I really really like the Astral 84 and 88.
I remember the Astral 88 being not my favorite last year, but the 84 I really liked. I tried to grab some to demo today, but they only have the Navigator 90. The shop has some, just not sure if they're in the demo fleet. I'm ready for a bit stronger tail, I think. Not sure where I could find a Navigator 85 around here to try.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember the Astral 88 being not my favorite last year, but the 84 I really liked. I tried to grab some to demo today, but they only have the Navigator 90. The shop has some, just not sure if they're in the demo fleet. I'm ready for a bit stronger tail, I think. Not sure where I could find a Navigator 85 around here to try.
Here's what perplexes me.
The Astral 88 is stronger than the 84, and you didn't like it, but you're looking at the Navigator 85 which is even stronger.
Are you suuuuure, this is the direction you want to go?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's what perplexes me.
The Astral 88 is stronger than the 84, and you didn't like it, but you're looking at the Navigator 85 which is even stronger.
Are you suuuuure, this is the direction you want to go?
Nooo, that's why I'm asking the differences between the two. So, that answers my question--thank you!! I'll steer clear of the Navigator.

Jnelly

Booting up
Skier
Found a pair of Navigator 85 (and 90) locally and was curious about them...ran to pugski and of course now have to ask:

How do these compare to Kastle FX84 176 which I currently have and they pretty much do what I ask, however I wonder if the navigator would compliment it i.e. lighter, more playful or is it the same ski....

I am 43, 6' 160#. I like to play off piste, (crud) vary speed on groomers and zoom in and out of trees and bumps. Would the Navigator be a lateral move....Any sort of input or opinions would be appreciated.

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
I am currently skiing the Navigator 85 and the Kastle LX82. To be blunt the Navigator is a better ski in every condition but the crud. The Kastle is calmer but you really need to push it to feel that calm. Navigator is flappy at times on hard snow but just trust it. If i was going off trail I'd go Nav for sure with my two ski's

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Found a pair of Navigator 85 (and 90) locally and was curious about them...ran to pugski and of course now have to ask:

How do these compare to Kastle FX84 176 which I currently have and they pretty much do what I ask, however I wonder if the navigator would compliment it i.e. lighter, more playful or is it the same ski....

I am 43, 6' 160#. I like to play off piste, (crud) vary speed on groomers and zoom in and out of trees and bumps. Would the Navigator be a lateral move....Any sort of input or opinions would be appreciated.
You are comparing a $499 to a ski that is literally 2x the price, there is going to be some dynamic differences. I will say the Nordica does ski well above it's price point the Kastle is going to be more refined in on snow feel. Personally, price aside, I prefer the Nordica ove the NEW FX85 but if you have the older FX84, I like tht ski a lot. The Navigator with it's longer tip profile will be better in the mixed conditions and bumps over the FX84. I am not sure it's enough to make this ski a complement to a FX84 but more a replacement.

Vali

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello,
I'm looking for a bit of advice.
I want to buy a pair of Nordica Navigator and have some doubts regarding widths (85 vs 90) and length (1.72 vs 1.79)
I'm 36 year old, 1.78 cm height and ~70kg weight. So, I'm a bit on the lighter side but I'm fairly athletic. Being lighter I was thinking that i need less width for flotation but I'm not sure.
I sky mainly on piste but I want to start venturing off-piste. I'd say that I'm intermediate advanced on piste but with no real experience off piste. I don't ski an awful lot, maybe around 10-15 days a season.
I don't want to spend a lot of effort to work the skis (plus I'm a bit lighter at 70 kg) so that's why I was gravitating towards the 85.
And regarding length I would say that the 1.72 would be more suitable since I've no off piste experience and skis should be a bit more maneuverable for that.
Also, while I like a bit of speed I really don't like when I start to pick up a lot of it and then need a lot of effort to adjust or stop; this is also why I thought the 1.72 would be better.
But i'm not entirely sure. If the 90 & 1.79 is not that different and may help me later on I can go with it.
Thanks

James

Out There
Instructor
The 85 would be better for improving. So you're about 155lbs. Probably the 172, though the thing is longer skis actually help turn you but can be more work. Think if you went 130cm, there's hardly any ski to change your direction if you're not in a carve. You should really try both sizes.

In general though, think of controlling speed by the line you follow, not braking on turns but gliding. Use gravity to slow you, (line headed uphill), it's much more relaxing.

skinavy

Booting up
Skier
Has anyone looked at the 2019 GT84 FDT compared to the Nav 85? Understanding that the GT is 2x as expensive, more frontside-oriented and designed for a more aggressive/advanced/faster skier. But at least to provide some context of the trade space? Seems as though it picks up where the Navigator ends? I hope to demo both in a few weeks. Particularly curious as to how it would compare in bumps 'n trees... mostly East Coast.

Dogdog

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I’m looking for a sister ski for my 96mm lib techs.
Ideally something that carves steeps in slightly icy conditions really well and can handle trees and bumps in mixed snow.
I’m 58. 5”7, 160 pounds advanced and trying to improve.
I’m thinking either K2 Ikonic 85 ti, (not currrent 84 model) or Enforcer 85. I enjoy an easy to maneuver, playful ski that will still carve in steeps or ice fairly well
Tried a New Brahma, but just too much ski for me
Thoughts?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Has anyone looked at the 2019 GT84 FDT compared to the Nav 85? Understanding that the GT is 2x as expensive, more frontside-oriented and designed for a more aggressive/advanced/faster skier. But at least to provide some context of the trade space? Seems as though it picks up where the Navigator ends? I hope to demo both in a few weeks. Particularly curious as to how it would compare in bumps 'n trees... mostly East Coast.
The Nav will be much better in the bumpts and trees for sure.
I’m looking for a sister ski for my 96mm lib techs.
Ideally something that carves steeps in slightly icy conditions really well and can handle trees and bumps in mixed snow.
I’m 58. 5”7, 160 pounds advanced and trying to improve.
I’m thinking either K2 Ikonic 85 ti, (not currrent 84 model) or Enforcer 85. I enjoy an easy to maneuver, playful ski that will still carve in steeps or ice fairly well
Tried a New Brahma, but just too much ski for me
Thoughts?
I think you will be happy with the Nav 85 as an option.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
After having them sit 1-1/2 years, I finally got out on my new Navigator 85s yesterday. The performance was pretty much as Phil (and everyone else) has described, very easy going, but with a nice finish at the tail if you want it. My first impression was the weight...compared to the old Fischers they will be replacing, they are quite light. Second impression was that they feel like they ski just a "bit" short, no doubt because my other skis are "traditional" in shape and camber. But I never felt they were too short. If I had the opportunity to try the next length back to back, maybe I would go longer...maybe. I did love how well they cranked short turns, and they skied effortlessly. Definitely one of my better equipment purchases.

Last edited:

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I picked up a pair of these at the end of last season in 172 length. 2021/22 "CA" model with the Marker TP2 Light 11 FDT system binding.

Background: 5'11", 175lb, 67 yr old, 8-10 days-per-year intermediate skier with modest skills. Following a 25 year hiatus, I returned to skiing 5 seasons ago. I live in Phoenix and it is hard to demo skis, not much selection here and what was available was mostly fat skis. I need a single ski for mostly on-piste and for building skills. Ended up buying a pair of iKonic 84ti in 2019. These skis are fast and carvy but I was struggling a bit with slower speed maneuvering in moguls and on steeps. Rather than blaming my obviously lacking technique, I decided I should look for something more on the "finesse" side of the Pugski "Power" scale. Navigator 85 came to the top of the list based on reviews here and a hat tip to @mdf who skis these all over the mountain and likes them so much he has multiple pairs!

So, got the new Navigators in March last year and took them out one day. Not impressed. Another day in early January this season. Still not feeling the love. :(

OK, went up to Purgatory a couple weeks ago and took them along to give them one last chance. Decided to stop in the shop and have them check out the tune. The guy put a straightedge on them and said, "Hmm, a bit edge high." You could see light coming under the straightedge. Ok, "mini-tune" and fresh wax later, I skied them for two days and WOW. What a difference! After quickly gaining comfort on the groomers, I started exploring a bit of the ungroomed chop and some smaller moguls. I definitely felt like I could maneuver these effortlessly. Two days of glorious fun. "This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
:daffy:

Interestingly, my pair was made in Ukraine. Perhaps that's how they achieve the lower price point. Wonder what's going on with that factory given the war situation?

And a shout out to @johnnyvw not only for bumping this thread, but for the VW Avatar. I had a green '68 (many years ago!)

Sponsor

Staff online