• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug I am constantly having to play around with the buckles on these boots.. were you able to set them and forget them or did you have this experience too? I love the precision of these on piste- off piste they are pretty jolting and unforgiving if you are off of your A game and get in the backseat.

I am at a set it and forget it time wit the boot. I buckle at the beginning of the day and unbuckle when I go to take the boot off. With that said it took two molds to do it. The first mold was pretty traditional, first and fifth met padding,..ect. The fit was good but I was still getting some tingling and unbuckling was needed. I was real happy with the back half of the boot and around the leg shaft, it was the forefoot that still beeded some work. Instead og remolding the cuff which I felt was dialed. I removed the cuff competely and just remolded the lower. I really wanted the clog to relax around the forefoot so I molded them unbuckled so they woudl open up. Once I did that, the boot was now dialed. It is amazing what this plastic is capable of. One addition I did to the boot was a swapped out the soles over to Gripwalk.

Muggydude

Booting up
Skier
How warm have they been? Curious if you/any others have noticed the boots are colder than the older gen X-max (I'm aware you haven't skied the X-Max, correct?). Logically they should be colder boots due to the thinner plastic.

I'm looking at the new S/Pro 130 next year (coming from a 2015 X-Pro). I'd assume the differences in boot construction between X-Max and S/Max will be equivalent more or less to the change from X-Pro to S/Pro.

Separate question - Anyone know if the liners changed much from 2015-2019 on the older gen X-Pro and X-Max?

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
How warm have they been? Curious if you/any others have noticed the boots are colder than the older gen X-max (I'm aware you haven't skied the X-Max, correct?). Logically they should be colder boots due to the thinner plastic.

I'm looking at the new S/Pro 130 next year (coming from a 2015 X-Pro). I'd assume the differences in boot construction between X-Max and S/Max will be equivalent more or less to the change from X-Pro to S/Pro.

Separate question - Anyone know if the liners changed much from 2015-2019 on the older gen X-Pro and X-Max?

I ski my S-max 130s with Zipfits and haven't had any problems with my feet getting cold. I never skied the X-max, so I can't compare the two.

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
@Philpug I am constantly having to play around with the buckles on these boots.. were you able to set them and forget them or did you have this experience too? I love the precision of these on piste- off piste they are pretty jolting and unforgiving if you are off of your A game and get in the backseat.

I found myself fiddling with the buckles a lot until I started to use the strap to achieve most of the tightness I wanted around the cuff rather than the top buckle. Also seemed to help a lot with the jolting, unforgiving feeling off-piste when I am off my game a bit (though I think that the boot has really improved my skiing because of the feedback I was getting, so it could be that, too).

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I am running Therm-ic heaters and with them and they are warmer than my previous Raptors with Hotronics. They are as warm as I can expect a low volume boot to be.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey @Philpug thanks for letting me try these on. Wondering what the difference between these and the carbon are other than weight, color and price.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey @Philpug thanks for letting me try these on. Wondering what the difference between these and the carbon are other than weight, color and price.
Solid lug on the Carbon.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This has been my "go to" boot for the past few weeks, it is just very comfortable but the two things that have impressed my so far have been the warmth and the lightness. Fiirst the latter, the regular S/Max weighs in about 100Gram heavier than it's solid sole blue brother bit still very light and reactive. Now the former, this is the warmest performance boot I have worn. Even without the heaters on, the boot is on par with other boots with heaters on.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
This has been my "go to" boot for the past few weeks, it is just very comfortable but the two things that have impressed my so far have been the warmth and the lightness. Fiirst the latter, the regular S/Max weighs in about 100Gram heavier than it's solid sole blue brother bit still very light and reactive. Now the former, this is the warmest performance boot I have worn. Even without the heaters on, the boot is on par with other boots with heaters on.
My X/Pro 130 are also very warm and great performers. I also molded twice for the front part of the boot was a bit tight. These boots solved my wide feet on and off problems. I highly recommend them as well.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
PSA. Sports Basement has all their ski gear 50% off. Including these boots. I picked up a pair for just about $300

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Phil, 3 questions:
Did you flatten the zeppa? Looks like it will take to sanding easy enough.
I would need an ankle punch before skiing these first day. Will the easy-bake method work for this area? or traditional punch be more appropriate?
Do you find the performance very similar to the Raptor? The fit seems very much in the Raptor neighborhood, and the carpet flexing appears to be a little stiffer than the rs120.
I may just keep these new and finish out the season in the Raptors, but I may succumb to the new toy itch:D

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Phil, 3 questions:
Did you flatten the zeppa? Looks like it will take to sanding easy enough.
I would need an ankle punch before skiing these first day. Will the easy-bake method work for this area? or traditional punch be more appropriate?
Do you find the performance very similar to the Raptor? The fit seems very much in the Raptor neighborhood, and the carpet flexing appears to be a little stiffer than the rs120.
I may just keep these new and finish out the season in the Raptors, but I may succumb to the new toy itch:D
The Zeppa is one of the flattest out of the box, nothing needed. Ankle punch can be done during the heat process. The Raptor is a more powerful boot but for day to day skiing, I am willing to give up that Nth degree of power for comfort, warmth and a lighter boot.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ok, FWIW I, as I suspect with a few others here, go through lots of boots. My usual daily driver in the sense of predictable out of the box is a Lange/Rossi 130 or higher. i can usually ski them and forget after popping in an orthotic and tiling the cuff outwards. Skied them foamed [surefoot and bootdoc] and with zipfits but for me the shell words and is the 'core'.

Over the years I have loved the SX92 [worldcup, full on version], and various lab boots, quite liked the falcon and the ghost [in 130+] and been indifferent to many other Salomon top enders so I was quite 50-50 when the 130 carbon landed;
  • I'm a stock 27, though I used 26 and equivalent or smaller when racing. I'm fairly strong, 6ft3 and used to plug boots. Opening the box I genuinely assumed that for some reason they had mis stickered the size. There was no way my foot was going in, think a Lange plug 150 on a cold day or Zay 140. Possibly an issue at retail for out of the box sales. However...
  • When cooked professionally they became pretty easy to enter, very snug fit.
  • I do have reservations about long term durability of EVA liners but these are quite thin and not a huge amount of room for compression.
  • With an orthotic I am usually fairly easy to cuff align and after cooking felt flat and neutral, though why it doesn't have a cuff alignment adjustment........
  • Zeppa and cuff angles neutral and upright
  • No real reason to mess about with the booster plate setup out of the box.
  • Fit low volume but with an even on 'painted on' fit
  • Quick, powerful and the low weight really makes a difference in terms of a quick light feel
  • Flex feels true to 130 but my feeling is that the flex feel is very personal - we perceive shin pressure and fit rather than actual 'measured' flex
  • They ship with worldcup sole- lifters, not sure at retail this is a good idea. Ooo I'll use them to stop my sole wearing out.... Err no don't.
Right now they have replaced my Rossi Hero WC as a daily driver.

Last edited:

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
6B62F7AF-2924-450F-9F12-FF4931650B83.jpeg
So here we go. Liner and shell heated together. My heel is locked down like never before. Thin sock, no padding, no pain. May not even need a punch. See you on The Beach.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 72243 So here we go. Liner and shell heated together. My heel is locked down like never before. Thin sock, no padding, no pain. May not even need a punch. See you on The Beach.
Are you going to rock the lounge pants with the new kicks?:D

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ok, FWIW I, as I suspect with a few others here, go through lots of boots. My usual daily driver in the sense of predictable out of the box is a Lange/Rossi 130 or higher. i can usually ski them and forget after popping in an orthotic and tiling the cuff outwards. Skied them foamed [surefoot and bootdoc] and with zipfits but for me the shell words and is the 'core'.

Over the years I have loved the SX92 [worldcup, full on version], and various lab boots, quite liked the falcon and the ghost [in 130+] and been indifferent to many other Salomon top enders so I was quite 50-50 when the 130 carbon landed;
  • I'm a stock 27, though I used 26 and equivalent or smaller when racing. I'm fairly strong, 6ft3 and used to plug boots. Opening the box I genuinely assumed that for some reason they had mis stickered the size. There was no way my foot was going in, think a Lange plug 150 on a cold day or Zay 140. Possibly an issue at retail for out of the box sales. However...
  • When cooked professionally they became pretty easy to enter, very snug fit.
  • I do have reservations about long term durability of EVA liners but these are quite thin and not a huge amount of room for compression.
  • With an orthotic I am usually fairly easy to cuff align and after cooking felt flat and neutral, though why it doesn't have a cuff alignment adjustment........
  • Zeppa and cuff angles neutral and upright
  • No real reason to mess about with the booster plate setup out of the box.
  • Fit low volume but with an even on 'painted on' fit
  • Quick, powerful and the low weight really makes a difference in terms of a quick light feel
  • Flex feels true to 130 but my feeling is that the flex feel is very personal - we perceive shin pressure and fit rather than actual 'measured' flex
  • They ship with worldcup sole- lifters, not sure at retail this is a good idea. Ooo I'll use them to stop my sole wearing out.... Err no don't.
Right now they have replaced my Rossi Hero WC as a daily driver.

I have about 80 days or so in these boots this season and the liner is holding up great, much better than some other liners I ahve had in this class. I actually find getting out of the boot is very easy, again compared to other boots I have had in the past. Getting is is very easy coming from my heated @KULKEA Thermal Trekker ;) . There IS a cuff alignment, it is behind the cosmetic oversized rivet, remove that and the cuff alignment is behind that.

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
  • Who is it for? Chicken legs, you found your boot.
  • Who is it not for? Athletic-calf guy. Yes, boots can be modified on the cuff, but there are probably better options.
[/QUOTE]

Is there a light-weight boot for “athletic calf guy”?...that’s me :). 285mm with a 100mm last?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January