• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Btw, @Brian Finch, I tried the new 2018/19 X-Pro 100 a few days ago as it was the only Alpine boot they had in my size and I wanted to compare an "Alpine" fit with two AT boots, '18/'19 Tecnica ZeroG and Scarpa Maestrale ll boots. Was surprised at how much better this lattestX-Pro fit from the X-Pro I tried when it first hit the market. Either my instep articulation point above the arch grew from running or a new/redesigned X-Pro liner is snugging things up there and in the heel pocket. The rest of the boot mid/forefoot on, cantankerous, more like X-Max but wider, both cause no problems with my toes fitting the boot! Only my X-Max 120 are very low volume above the arch and to the back of the heel pinning my foot down keeping it in place. The heel pocket of the NIB never tried by anyone X-Pro 100 actually felt a bit more secure and not as wide as my X-Max (could be more due to liner packing in). I gather that is where the "springy upper cuff liner that continues to break in", would end up rendering X-Pro too voluminous for me. However if I had to replace a MIA boot on vacation to use out of the box, '18.'19 X-Pro would be it ... have yet to try Nordica Promachine so maybe not.
New S/Max fit was very close (tight), in the heel box/ankle, metatarsals were ok with the tighter fit but the ends of my toes were squeezed together. The very front of the boot would require reshaping to work.
Don't ask about the two AT boots ... lets just call it a work in progress, I may very well end up with something else:\

I too tried the X Pro 100 in the shop & then ordered the 130. They are night & day. The 100 was plush & the 130 is wicked snug. I have not cooked em yet, but they have a ton of heel security.

I don’t know what to think of the cuff. I’d like it to be higher/snugger already, but I’m old & trying not to be locked into my prior views as gospel. The supple lower cuff really deflects the rumbles when charging.

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
I purchased the X/Max 120 two years ago. It's the first Salomon boot I've owned. I've mostly skied Lange over the years. When I purchased them it was between the Hawk and these. The X/Max fit better out of the box. Very snug heal pocket and low instep that worked for my foot. It has a fairly thin but very dense foam liner. I had them cooked to take care of a couple of small hot spots. The process was pretty straight forward and the results were as advertised. The boot is very light weight and enjoyable to ski.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I purchased the X/Max 120 two years ago. It's the first Salomon boot I've owned. I've mostly skied Lange over the years. When I purchased them it was between the Hawk and these. The X/Max fit better out of the box. Very snug heal pocket and low instep that worked for my foot. It has a fairly thin but very dense foam liner. I had them cooked to take care of a couple of small hot spots. The process was pretty straight forward and the results were as advertised. The boot is very light weight and enjoyable to ski.
Thanks @Carl but the 2018/19 is an all new boot and does fit different than the model you have.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi Phil, what are the key differences between my X/Max from a couple of years ago and the new S/Max boot?
Shape of the boot, cuff is totally different and the new carbon frame.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Shape of the boot, cuff is totally different and the new carbon frame.
Right, I'd venture to say the new S/Max predecessor, X-Max clog is shaped much like the current year X-Pro, just 2 or 3mm narrower in the last and the new S/Max clog is shaped more like the QST Pro but with lower volume over the arch-instep.
I didn't pay attention to the cuff as it wasn't a concern fit wise, I suspect it may have less overlap then the outgoing X-Max but don't know?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I spent some time in the S/Max at Mammoth yesterday. This was the first chance I had to let them really run. The heel pocket of these is one of the snuggest I have felt, as I said early on, the pocket is suction cup like. The toe box is narrower than most and skiers with rounder toe shapes will fit better out of the box and felt a bit much pressure on my 6th toe. I will play with remolding the clog to see what it accepts. As we have said many times for a boot fit, we address the back of the boot and accommodate the front. The back of the S/Max is fantastic..the front just need a bit of work, not uncommon. Lets see how these go.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I spent some time in the S/Max at Mammoth yesterday. This was the first chance I had to let them really run. The heel pocket of these is one of the snuggest I have felt, as I said early on, the pocket is suction cup like. The toe box is narrower than most and skiers with rounder toe shapes will fit better out of the box and felt a bit much pressure on my 6th toe. I will play with remolding the clog to see what it accepts. As we have said many times for a boot fit, we address the back of the boot and accommodate the front. The back of the S/Max is fantastic..the front just need a bit of work, not uncommon. Lets see how these go.
Thanks for the update. I have not had a chance to ski my X-pro 130 yet. I hope I do not have any hot spots. If I do I will re-mold them as well.

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
Does anyone know how much switching between the stiffer and softer flex settings changes the flex on these? For various reasons, I decided to get a new boot and got fit into these. The heel is like a vice, which is great. But they are a bit stiffer than I would like at times.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does anyone know how much switching between the stiffer and softer flex settings changes the flex on these? For various reasons, I decided to get a new boot and got fit into these. The heel is like a vice, which is great. But they are a bit stiffer than I would like at times.
I played back and forth with it, honestly I didn't notice much of a change. If you want to soften the boot, cut the saddles on the clog.

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
I played back and forth with it, honestly I didn't notice much of a change. If you want to soften the boot, cut the saddles on the clog.

Thanks. I played around with it a bit and also didn't notice much, if any, change. It was pretty cold out when I was skiing though, so thought it might be that. I haven't had to soften a boot before. Can you cut the saddle a little at a time 'til you get it where you want it, or is it a one shot deal? I will take it to my bootfitter to do it, but like to know how things work before asking him to make changes to the boot.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks. I played around with it a bit and also didn't notice much, if any, change. It was pretty cold out when I was skiing though, so thought it might be that. I haven't had to soften a boot before. Can you cut the saddle a little at a time 'til you get it where you want it, or is it a one shot deal? I will take it to my bootfitter to do it, but like to know how things work before asking him to make changes to the boot.
Yes, you can take a little at a time but cutting the saddles is irreversible.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
When we are born we are given a certain amount of meat. Some choose to use it on their feet. Others choose to use it somewhere else I am 26.5 Mondo but........

giphy.gif

James T Kirk

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Bumping this for more info. I am currently in a Scorpion that needs replacement (buckles are failing left and right). Low volume foot with low instep. I was able to try the 100 flex version in Mammoth, and it felt pretty good. Not sure if there is any last difference with the 130.

Other boots I have tried recently:
Raptor RS 140 - Good fit overall but too much forward lean, even with a 3mm gas pedal. Roomier in the cuff than Scorp.
Lange RX 130 - Too roomy in the heel

Long tib/fib requires a fairly upright stance to maintain balance. The S/Max is supposed to be 13.5d, w/ 4d ramp. I believe the Scorpion is 12d with a flatter ramp.

Wondering if the S/Max would offer any advantage over the Scorpion in terms of performance, maybe the heat molding for fit? What is the consensus on the S/Max in terms of performance. I don't really care about weight savings.

SLC Skier

Booting up
Skier
@Philpug I am constantly having to play around with the buckles on these boots.. were you able to set them and forget them or did you have this experience too? I love the precision of these on piste- off piste they are pretty jolting and unforgiving if you are off of your A game and get in the backseat.

Sponsor

Staff online