• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long skidding turns on steeper trails

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Good comments, great "get over it" video from a "pretty damn good" balanced skier.

Phaceplanter, you are at a stage of your skiing where you need some help. The Level 3 lesson would be good for you. Ask around and find out the right instructor before you commit the money. Almost all of the comments are good. I am 76 yrs and have been skiing for 50 yrs and took a lesson last week and we worked on balance and my turn initiation changed (for the good). Skiing is a life long adventure and obviously you want to get better. Let someone help you along the path before you get too many bad habits.

I'm 79, have skied since 1945, have taught for 50 years, hold a PSIA LIII pin and still spend at least half a dozen days a season participating in training (like taking lessons). I sense improvement in my skiing almost every season.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Maybe your edges need a tune? Dull edges > > long skidding turns. I haven't seen this mentioned yet.

Lots of good advice on this thread for technique.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sounds like a common problem. Some people are afraid to turn downhill, while others can't get the mechanics right. When I was teaching myself to get down moguls as a kid I would start angling faster and faster downhill. When I was about to run out of real estate I would either wipe out or somehow force myself to spring off the snow and turn 90 degrees in the air.

Take a lesson, get these guys some video, practice on easier terrain, stay warm, and have fun!

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Coaching would be best, but since you're an analytic sort of guy, just having a friend take video of you, and then you studying it with a critical eye and comparing to what you know about good turn mechanics, would be a great start. Few people ever do this, and getting that outside viewpoint vs. your usual POV makes all the difference. Rinse and repeat.

Sponsor

Staff online