• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Having to end skiing early this year was bad. Driving into St Maries this AM gave me a good look at the Mt's and the snow on them. I am already in August mode , GOD help me, bye the time Fall actually gets here I will be a basket case.
That's why you have the support of all of us.
We're in this together.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
A season like this will give you perspective on what you are willing to ski. I have fallen into a "it should be a good condition day" before I jump into my boots. Now I have to admit some of the days that I have passed on are now missed opportunity. Next season is going to be different.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The temptation to get some alpine touring gear and just go into the woods around Sudbury is getting stronger again. Yes, I realize that is not the safest thing to do alone, but it's legal, and I won't get in trouble like I would for poaching a run at my hill which still has plenty of tempting man-made snow on it.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
A season like this will give you perspective on what you are willing to ski. I have fallen into a "it should be a good condition day" before I jump into my boots. Now I have to admit some of the days that I have passed on are now missed opportunity. Next season is going to be different.
There are no bad conditions, just wrong equipment for the conditions :ogbiggrin: . I do admit that I still haven't found the right goggles for freezing rain.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Might just pick up the fly rod again for lack of anything better to do, golf courses are all closed. About the only things open around here are grocery stores, places that sell liquor and pot shops; keep the herd tranquilized.

Oh wait, fishing is CLOSED TOO!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
There are no bad conditions, just wrong equipment for the conditions :ogbiggrin: . I do admit that I still haven't found the right goggles for freezing rain.
BTW good luck finding those goggles for freezing rain. Not sure if they exist.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Might just pick up the fly rod again for lack of anything better to do, golf courses are all closed. About the only things open around here are grocery stores, places that sell liquor and pot shops; keep the herd tranquilized.

Oh wait, fishing is CLOSED TOO!
We drove from Reno west on I80 yesterday to Boca and Stampede Reservoirs. I was blown away by how many people were parked and fishing in the Truckee River. At least that's what I think they were doing. A lot of bikers on the trail that follows the river too.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I get cha...Time to forget there is a webcam, well 4 webcams...damn, it looked really good this morning...

After Sun Peaks closed March 18, they allowed up hill access to a specific part of the mountain for the first time ever. After about a week and what would have coincided with the patrol and others putting the mountain to bed and then being laid off, they shut down up hill travel. And then they shut down all but 2 of the web cams and those are aimed at the village, not the slopes.

In order to be fully operational Sun Peaks relies heavily on out of towners both for staff and skiers, so I am concerned what next season will look like.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Never thought I'd ride a bike again, that has changed. But those river rocks.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm watching this until the ski areas re-open or my civil liberties are restored..... which ever comes first.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
In order to be fully operational Sun Peaks relies heavily on out of towners both for staff and skiers, so I am concerned what next season will look like.

Singapore suffered an uptick in infections from immigrant workers living in dormitory style accommodation. Be interesting (and telling) to find out what type of accomm most of the seasonal workers at ski resorts are being housed in. I know the mountain I was on (not far from yours) had workers vacate staff accomm shortly after shutdown. Lack of ability for effective social distancing.

The Australian/NZ ski season will either be delayed, curtailed or won't go ahead. Going to make it a long time without a ski and no guarantee that international travel will resume for next northern winter.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The Australian/NZ ski season will either be delayed, curtailed or won't go ahead.
It will be interesting to watch the southern hemisphere ski seaon and which of those three scenarios play out. And whether or not that can provide some learning for the 20/21 northern hemisphere season.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Singapore suffered an uptick in infections from immigrant workers living in dormitory style accommodation. Be interesting (and telling) to find out what type of accomm most of the seasonal workers at ski resorts are being housed in. I know the mountain I was on (not far from yours) had workers vacate staff accomm shortly after shutdown. Lack of ability for effective social distancing.

The Australian/NZ ski season will either be delayed, curtailed or won't go ahead. Going to make it a long time without a ski and no guarantee that international travel will resume for next northern winter.
It will be interesting to watch the southern hemisphere ski seaon and which of those three scenarios play out. And whether or not that can provide some learning for the 20/21 northern hemisphere season.
Its a bit up in the air at the moment regarding what our ski season will consist of of in NZ
Currently we are under level 4 lock down tomorrow we go down to level 3
We then find out tomorrow what we will be able to do once our lock down level drops from 3 to 2
I'll post it up here once I know

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Hmmm, I've long wanted to ski in NZ; this could be the year!

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Having to end skiing early this year was bad. Driving into St Maries this AM gave me a good look at the Mt's and the snow on them. I am already in August mode , GOD help me, bye the time Fall actually gets here I will be a basket case.

No one is skinning up to get some turns? :huh:

Sponsor