• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm, I've long wanted to ski in NZ; this could be the year!

It will be interesting to watch the southern hemisphere ski seaon and which of those three scenarios play out. And whether or not that can provide some learning for the 20/21 northern hemisphere season.

We are obviously hopeful of skiing this year,but we rely very heavily on oversea instructors, ski patrollers, lift mechanics etc. being able to come here.
If they do come, they will most likely have to quarantine (somewhere?) for at least 14 days .At whose expense ? Currently there are no guidelines from the government to suggest when ski fields will be able to open .(Quite a few fields are on Conservation lands) This currently makes it nigh on impossible for the owners/operators of the ski fields to make serious decisions in a timely manner that makes it worthwhile opening up in time to make the whole financially do able.
As an aside my ski field has a one year old $25 ml Gondola to pay off. Who wants to get into that at the moment? And its the only way to access the upper mountain.
If you think you may want to visit NZ, here is a link to what we can and can't do in all of our great outdoors. Note that it is currently set at Level 3 and that when we get to level 2 (3 weeks?) there will be a further easing on restrictions
For skiing enter the region as Ruapehu, Queenstown or Selwyn For activity chose Skiing not Back country snow sports

Kia Kaha

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Might just pick up the fly rod again for lack of anything better to do, golf courses are all closed. About the only things open around here are grocery stores, places that sell liquor and pot shops; keep the herd tranquilized.

Oh wait, fishing is CLOSED TOO!

The first baby step in your neck of the woods:

Apologies for the crap link, but fishing and golfing appear to be back on for WA.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Obviously if there's still a 14-day quarantine for visitors, a ski trip is out of the question. Thanks for the informative link.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Obviously if there's still a 14-day quarantine for visitors, a ski trip is out of the question. Thanks for the informative link.
Restricting TRAVEL is one of the most useful step in containment of the outbreak.

Many rural areas have very few cases. They could quite comfortably go about their business as “usual”. But it only takes one “super spreader” from another area to ignite it.

Skiers was how the virus hitchhike across the ocean and mountains 2 months ago.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I hope you get to visit. I've never skied in New Zealand, but for anyone visiting, I thought Queenstown was awesome and would love to get back there to ski. Seems like it would make for a fun town to base a ski trip out of.

The view from the hill overlooking the town (we took the gondola up):

NZ_AUS_FIJI_Feb_2012 242 ACR Conv.jpg

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
My wife has been there. I unfortunately have never taken an opportunity. Still hope to before time runs out.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife has been there. I unfortunately have never taken an opportunity. Still hope to before time runs out.

Here's a couple of shots of our volcanic mountain ski field to tempt you. 700mts vertical skiing

Attachments

• IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7585.JPG
    IMG_7585.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 19

MT Skull

Look at me, I can ski with my feet together!
Skier
I put together a quick edit from my last day at Copper March 2nd. I live in Georgetown, and have driven over the pass twice in the past week. Mentally it's already July, but to my favorite mountain bike trail, it's still early May. Too early. I apologize in advance for the music, I don't know what I was thinking...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Pete in Idaho
I thought you might like this.
Matchstick athletes put a song together, longing for skiing.
Wish I Could Ski
Here is the link to Matchstick's website.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Hood is projecting to open July 1.

Sponsor