• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
To be treated local, act local, don’t expect, don’t change, just respect the local conditions and appreciate the moment. Before you know it you are considered local, even if you don’t dress, talk or act like them.

You just appreciate what it is to be local just like them.

I'm not sure I understand what it means to "act local." Do people in Colorado ski towns have esoteric cultural practices that require years of anthropologic study to comprehend? Or does it just mean "don't be an a-hole, generally speaking"?

If "locals" refers to people who grew up and went to school together and share a web of intergenerational relationships with which they are bound up, then it seems a little condescending to think that you can act your way toward acceptance, like some sort of Jane Goodall of snowsport demographics.

And then there's the economics; you want to bop into a ski town with the education, income, and free time that made your trip possible and then...what, put on a flannel shirt and Carhartts and perform a pantomime of down-home localism without the inconvenience of actually experiencing any of the fundamental realities of local life? Economic insecurity, substance abuse/addiction, domestic violence, rural isolation, and ineffective school systems are ingredients of local culture that often constrain people's lives in ways that ski tourists don't have to think about. Maybe instead of trying to "act local" it might be a better exercise to try to think about how locals see you and simply acknowledge your good fortune.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great bumper stickers here in BS

A few million in the bank and 14 weeks a year doesn't make you a local

Part time local, full time A** Hole

Those stickers are usually plastered on the do not trespass signs.
Unless you were here with the native Americans your not local. Great thing about BS is that we are all transplants, some have just been here longer than others

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm not sure I understand what it means to "act local." Do people in Colorado ski towns have esoteric cultural practices that require years of anthropologic study to comprehend? Or does it just mean "don't be an a-hole, generally speaking"?

If "locals" refers to people who grew up and went to school together and share a web of intergenerational relationships with which they are bound up, then it seems a little condescending to think that you can act your way toward acceptance, like some sort of Jane Goodall of snowsport demographics.

And then there's the economics; you want to bop into a ski town with the education, income, and free time that made your trip possible and then...what, put on a flannel shirt and Carhartts and perform a pantomime of down-home localism without the inconvenience of actually experiencing any of the fundamental realities of local life? Economic insecurity, substance abuse/addiction, domestic violence, rural isolation, and ineffective school systems are ingredients of local culture that often constrain people's lives in ways that ski tourists don't have to think about. Maybe instead of trying to "act local" it might be a better exercise to try to think about how locals see you and simply acknowledge your good fortune.
Sigh, you’ve still got a lot to learn.

We all live on the same world, I am a local, hope you are too.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I don't think the socio/economic issues you mention here are unique to ski towns. In fact, I would lay odds that ski towns - at least in the Western USA - are generally populated by those on the upper end of the socio/economic scale. If anything you are stereotyping folks in Western towns (blue highlight above). I don't take offense at it, but I don' t think it's what we are referencing when we talk about localism. If we are talking about acting "like a local" in terms of skiing ... I think it clearly means don't be an a**. Nobody is more entitled to ski one resort over another - local or tourist. We all enjoy the great outdoors and none of it belongs to locals.

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
If anything you are stereotyping folks in Western towns (blue highlight above).

Here in northern New England, Carhartts and flannel shirts are ubiquitous and what many people, myself included, wear in the winter; that wasn't meant as a jab at anyone.

The average annual income in Mammoth Lakes is 27,150 a year. Median household income is $60,000.

But I agree that arguing over which customers are more or less "local" to a ski resort than other customers is beyond absurd.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's hard to think of a post that could have proved my point any better.
Actually you do prove a point, the one that needs to prove that they are special, is you because you feel you need to prove something.

This attitude no matter where you are gets you branded as the outsider even if you are the living local (I could use your description if you prefer).

Best advice travel a little and you’ll find no matter where you go, everyone has similar issues and concerns no matter income level or the location. You got nothing to prove only to learn and appreciate how others make the best of what they have. If they ask you to share it only makes it better for all.

@Pat AKA mustski hits it pretty good in saying “we all enjoy.....” regardless of what it is or where it is. (Sorry Pat for using only part of it).

Another example, on this site we have different opinions, backgrounds, experiences and locations but what makes us a community is the love of skiing, pure and simple. As such makes us locals on this site. If you love skiing you become a local.

Final and personal note, please be careful in assuming that tourist is rich just because they travel to come and visit to enjoy your little piece of earth. They may actually make less or have worse problems. Making that assumption makes you the same as the tourist that thinks little of you.

Show respect and guidance, you’d be surprised how humble and appreciative people are willing to be with you. It does go both ways.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The average annual income in Mammoth Lakes is 27,150 a year. Median household income is $60,000.
The US average is $28,555 a year. The US average household median income is $53,482 a year. The first is slightly above Mammoth, the second is slightly less than Mammoth. It's not clear what you are getting at. Are people in resort towns poorer or richer? Does either affect attitudes?

Squaw has "regulars" from the Bay Area. Often quite well off. Also often, incredibly skilled. Are these "locals"? They sure are fun to ski with! As are the "locals". And the "tourists".

I don't see much "attitude" at Squaw or Truckee. When I go into the hardware store I'm treated the same whether I'm wearing tourist shorts and flip flops or my "locals" paint stained work overalls. Hopefully we aren't creating conflict out of something non existent or trivial.

Eric

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've aged with Whistler, skiing is better now than ever , I don't object to tourist showing up, they pay the bills, have fun here I always have
Local" attitude usually comes from recent newbies,
Get over it. We are all here for the same experience.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if this is a socioeconomic class issue, disguised as “local vs not local.” People with more disposable income, who spend it with maybe a little ostentatious attitude (think Aspen) as opposed to people who are more gracious, even humble and appreciative of the beauty of the mountains and the special character of a town or region.

I have never perceived that I wasn’t welcome when I have travelled to ski resorts. I talk to people on the lifts, they talk to me, everyone has a good time skiing, even offer a few recommendations for ski runs/restaurants/activities/etc.

Might be different if I moved there, bought a house outbidding a few locals, or worse, building an obscene overkill McMansion and driving real estate values up for everyone making it harder for locals to afford to live there and then complained about how people ran things and acted like I knew what’s what. And then only lived there part of the year.

So what I’d probably do is build a tiny house myself, buy local materials, invite neighbors over and host some social gatherings. Listen, learn, rinse, repeat. It’s not about being considered a “local”, it’s about acting like part of the community.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
better said.

i'm just in a bad mood , incoming tide. strong on shore breeze, motor failure and the captain, me, didn't deploy the anchor in time.
I've always said leaving the harbour is really the same as skiing out of bounds.
at least we're not under the snow

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
incoming tide. strong on shore breeze, motor failure and the captain, me, didn't deploy the anchor in time.

That was you?!?

78C07C40-5A46-432B-9A91-265F594C4329.png

(Disclaimer: screenshot from a video, not the real thing)

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
At Killington everyone is from somewhere else. All you need to do to be a local is show up and act civil. You do not even need to live here. Being a local in a ski town is easy. Moved to Vermont back in 2002 as this is my home and I love it here. Will never be a Vermont Native as I was not born here. Both my daughter and granddaughter who followed us to Vermont will never be natives. We are flatlanders or as I like to say Vermonters by choice. Heading south soon on vacation were we will become just some Damn Yankees. Love going on vacation as I become the tourist. When I get to New Smyrna Beach where I have been going for over 40 years I become a local again in my mind.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
I’ve always wanted one of those bumper stickers that says something like, “Not a native, and it took me a little while to get here, and I miss NYC sometimes, but it’s great here too.” I guess every sentiment about finding your place can’t necessarily fit on a bumper sticker. :)

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
I wonder if this is a socioeconomic class issue, disguised as “local vs not local.” People with more disposable income, who spend it with maybe a little ostentatious attitude (think Aspen) as opposed to people who are more gracious, even humble and appreciative of the beauty of the mountains and the special character of a town or region.
Disposable income does not give you character anymore than the lack of disposable income deprives you of it.

Listen, learn, rinse, repeat. It’s not about being considered a “local”, it’s about acting like part of the community.
99% true, and well stated. There will always be a small place reserved for the folks that were born there.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are you automatically a local if you buy property, live in a location and pay taxes?
If not, how much time do you need to serve?
Can you be a local if it's your "second home"?
How close do you need to live to the mountain to be a local?
How many bartenders need to know you by name?
What if a liftie recognizes you on the regular?

It' easy for men in New England. Workboots and old t shirt.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Ski Canada Magazine once labeled Sun Peals locals the "Friendliest Locals in Canada". The joke was that by the end of a 22minute long (over 10k feet) Burfield Chairlift ride with a local you would be asking "Where do I go to sign the mortgage docs for the condo".

Many on this forum that know me, know that I am Sun Peaks number 1 fanboy, but I am not alone and for good reason. When after 30 years of successive under financed owners, the very deep pocketed Nippon Cable bought Tod Mt (now called Sun Peaks) out of bankruptcy in 1992, one of the first things that the new management did was host a social evening inviting as many locals as possible to come and bring Tod Mt pics, slides, memorabilia. SP management basically said to us locals "You guys know the mountain, you are the experts, we are interested in feed back"....WOW was our response.

The "listen to the locals" management style continues today as there was a lot of local complaints (a real lot) about a plan to shorten the Burfield Chair in conjunction with a new chair that has been planned for a while to go to the top of the mountain. A couple of weeks ago SP announced firm plans for the new chair for 2021 opening and also announced that the "locals chair", the Burfield Chair will be left intact.

Expansion of the resort has all been to 2 to 3 miles down the road from the Burfield base meaning that the Burfiled Chair is less busy now than in the 1980s, before all the development so it really is a long time locals chair and new staff and tourists alike ride it once and never return.:golfclap:.

I guess my point is that management attitude and management decisions can have a large impact on localism.

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
At Killington everyone is from somewhere else. All you need to do to be a local is show up and act civil. You do not even need to live here. Being a local in a ski town is easy. Moved to Vermont back in 2002 as this is my home and I love it here. Will never be a Vermont Native as I was not born here. Both my daughter and granddaughter who followed us to Vermont will never be natives. We are flatlanders or as I like to say Vermonters by choice. Heading south soon on vacation were we will become just some Damn Yankees. Love going on vacation as I become the tourist. When I get to New Smyrna Beach where I have been going for over 40 years I become a local again in my mind.

Good post.

Like going to the shore down here in Jersey. Your (I'm) the "Benny". Will never change even when we go down every season

Have had several "home" ski areas (including K back in the 80's) but have never been local to any of them. Even the home hill (CBK) 45 mins away. I'm not local.

The tourist moniker is fine with me too. Enjoy Smyrna, we are hitting the South Florida coast in a weeks time as well. Can't wait to be a tourist.

Sponsor

Staff online