• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Little Cottonwood Canyon 2018-2019, Reports, Pics, and Banter

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Old skiers never die, they just go to Mineral Basin, 4/19/19:
dscn2212-jpg.71701

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbird, Apr 23, 2019 view of Mineral Basin from Bookends area, even as early as 1030AM the snow was soft in the offpiste here: snowbird view from bookends.jpg
That's the base of MB chair in center. Baldy chair is now closed for the season.
I spent the afternoon painting the back porch (1st coat) with a product called Deck Correct from Lowes.
back porch again.jpg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@P-Ute picked me out of the crowd at the bottom of Mineral Basin today. I had on my PugSki Vest. Way to go P-Ute! We made a bunch of runs together. Nice gentlemen.
snowbird p-ute.jpg
Pipeline looked really good and P-Ute was itching to give it a try...
snowbird pipeline apr 24.jpg
So I followed him down...
snowbird pipeline skied.jpg
JUST KIDDING, BUT LOTS OF OTHER FOLKS WERE GIVING IT A TRY. :D:D

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
From Snowbird, Apr 25. They closed Mineral at 1030am and Peruvian around 11am. Hopefully that was just a one-day decision. I didn't realize that public hrs are now 8-230pm. I need to set the alarm a little earlier:doh:

Wilbere Bowl, there were little slides like this in many places:
snowbird wilbere slide.jpg

I took a run down Great Scott just before they closed that side of the mtn around 11am. It was not fully thawed yet, but still a lot of snow in there. snowbird great scott apr 25 .jpg
Looking back from cirque traverse to Little Cloud lift, the terrain near the lift was skiing good. Road to Provo closed. Saw more people early in Pipeline though.
snowbird little cloud.jpg

Sit-skier coming down Regulator. I rode the lift with this guy. We had a regular conversation, but at the very end I told him he was an inspiration. snowbird sitski.jpg

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Snowbird Tuesday and Wednesday. It was warm and getting warmer, the slush was getting too much for my old legs, so I came home a day or two early.

Since they ended up closing 2/3 of the mountain, it looks as if I made the right decision, especially as the Peruvian side is my favorite part of the mountain.

Just for info, I was entitled to a 50% ticket discount by showing my Sun Valley pass as an MCP area. They would honor the discount for the $80 Senior rate, but not for the $47 over 70 weekday rate. Even though there no published T&C's so stating that I could find, I decided not to raise a fuss, since it would probably just result in aggravation and a $40 ticket is still pretty good.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbird Apr 30, 2019. It was cooler day today, temps in 30s. Snow was pretty good and enough sun to see what was what.

@P-Ute heading down Mark Malau trail. snowbird mark malau.jpg

again in the gully under Mineral Basin chair
snowbird mineral gully.jpg

eerie mix of sun and clouds early in the morning. cold front and snow moved in later after I left the mtn.
snowbird mineral basin apr 30.jpg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty special morning at Snowbird. First time in 52 years of skiing that I skied in the month of May. From now on I ski May only:roflmao:
6" new everywhere, twice that in many spots. Little Cloud.
snowbird may day little cloud.jpg
Mineral snowbird may day MB.jpg
Pretty Madeline ski patroller above great scott snowbird madeline patroler.jpg
even down low by peruvian had some untracked. snowbird may day 1.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This job crap is for the birds...and unfortunately, NOT the SNOWbirds. I'm in full-on MTB mode now, but a day like yesterday would have gotten me out on the hill for sure.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tough spring conditions in LCC (Snowbird) today if you were looking for groomers.

EEB1D27F-BF4B-43C7-8566-1CA75C56043B.jpeg
2529DB23-722C-46CC-B19C-FBC0A5AFE1D1.jpeg 54504C5B-C14E-4FB0-A6AF-23AE7D936A16.jpeg

Attachments

• F968CA18-2EFF-4297-B20E-CE38ADBCF694.jpeg
    F968CA18-2EFF-4297-B20E-CE38ADBCF694.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 4
  • E1EB175B-5A6F-484D-9DF6-A91134AEE286.jpeg
    E1EB175B-5A6F-484D-9DF6-A91134AEE286.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 1F668EDD-8242-413A-8135-0DAFAC95603F.jpeg
    1F668EDD-8242-413A-8135-0DAFAC95603F.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was up at Snowbird today 5/9/19 with P-ute. Good skiing, maybe 2-4" new in many spots. Sun came out enough to make for decent visibility much of the time.

Bookends was good.
snowbird paul may 9 bookends.jpg snowbird paul may 9 bookends too.jpg
Somehow this selfie came out mirror image.:doh:
snowbird selfie near top of little cloud that i mirrored image somehow may 9.jpg

I have some better photos of p-ute skiing on this May surprise mini-powder day in Little Cloud and Mineral Basin that I'll try to post later.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A few more from Snowbird, 5/9/19 in the morning. This snow was a little heavy, but not bad. It was 21 degs at 8am. These feature my buddy @P-Ute and are sort of a gift for him. We've had about ten good ski days together in the last 2-3 weeks, mostly at Snowbird, but also on an outstanding road trip over to join the Pugs for three days at A-Basin/Breck.
These are from the Bookends area of Mineral Basin on May 9, 2019, a nice little powder day. paul bookends in the sun may 9.jpg paul bookends may 9.jpg paul finishing bookends may 9.jpg paul lower bookends may 9.jpg paul middle bookends may 9.jpg paul upper bookends again may 9.jpg paul upper bookends may 9.jpg
These are from Little Cloud area at Snowbird, same day. It was skiing really nice too!
paul close up little cloud may 9.jpg paul little cloud may 9.jpg paul lower little cloud may 9.jpg

AF1QipO1s2U7RtLZ_bu9j-8GiKDF8FGHd5rfz4eTs9Ka

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbird, 5/11/19, a pretty spring ski day. Still excellent snow coverage, three lifts running Peruvian, Mineral Basin and Little Cloud.
@SpikeDog joined P-Ute and I for the day. Here a few quick shots of Spikedog near Mineral Basin chair. I may post a few more later.
spikedog may 11 three.jpg
spikedog may 11 too.jpg
spikedog may 11.jpg

Today was my last ski day of the season. It was great to share it with some good buddies! After nearly three months out here it's so long Utah. See you next winter.
snowbird my last day 11 MAY 2019.jpg

Last edited:

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
1st day at the bird this year yesterday - 1st ski day in a month! - met up with some friends "who don't like to follow me" - that's all good, ill meet you at the tram club later!

amazing how early the snow warms up in Mineral . i was headed to the truck for some fatter boards by 1030 -
always love going through the tunnel

IMG_2463.JPG

found some quality stuff in this area in Mineral. ( I heard someone tomahawked down one of these chutes pretty good yesterday as well)

IMG_2465.JPG
skiing was great for about 3 hours. spring skiing at its finest - lift lines were not an issue even in Mineral IMG_2474.JPG
bummed the cirque was shut down,.. and it looked strange to see the Tram hanging up there on the wires not moving.
ill be headed back up for one last round soon - still very good coverage at Snowbird.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1st day at the bird this year yesterday - 1st ski day in a month! - met up with some friends "who don't like to follow me" - that's all good, ill meet you at the tram club later!

amazing how early the snow warms up in Mineral . i was headed to the truck for some fatter boards by 1030 -
always love going through the tunnel

View attachment 73891

found some quality stuff in this area in Mineral. ( I heard someone tomahawked down one of these chutes pretty good yesterday as well).
I took a few laps (11) through there on the pow day last week. Yesterday was easy turns for me with mrsjmills until the last run. Not being a Snowbird regular when I saw Baldys was open I headed that way thinking I was going to walk uphill. I carried plenty of speed past the drop to Chamonix to get to the gate for “High Baldy” that was closed.
My line down was through the trees above the Peruvian unload which was a challenge.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online