• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Ridiculous!

After getting skunked on the storm yesterday and being bummed about the downgrade in forecasted totals I was quite happy to wake to 12 inches this morning at 6:00. That turned to 20 inches by the time first tram lifted off.

We also woke to the coveted canyon closure, interlodge was in effect. My buddy Mike wanted to retrieve his vehicle and park it down by Zoom in case we had a Peruvian side shut down or never open. We'd went to the Baldy Bash last night, all the patrollers were there and the liquor was flowing. The general concensus was we'd be handcuffed to Regulator. I decided to leave my car in valet and stashed my backpack, shoes and box of wine at the valet desk and headed down to the tram.

With the road closure only the early people were there, Travis had beaten the closure and was at the front as well as all the regular closure beaters. I joined the line about 4 rows back, safely on first tram. Next in line to me was Skinewhere, he is the first person to have asked me, "do you post on Pugski?" To everyone's surprise we were given everything but Mineral and Road to Provo from the get go.

Travis and I headed out the Cirque and broke trail with a patroller on the traverse out to mid. I thanked her for the effort given the Baldy Bash the night before, she said morning came early today, heh. We traversed out to Glen's and skied it untouched. Holy blower pow! Today was perfect, the storm came in right side up and temps remained low with very little wind. Given that the snow was as light as it gets around here, face shots were easy to find.

The tram line was about a two boat wait for most of the day we were there, we mostly rode Zoom to Little Cloud today, it seemed quicker to make Cirque laps. I put four sets of tracks next to each other on Glens, each run it got deeper as the snow piled up for most of the morning.

They announced a canyon closure at 2:30 and Travis and I split at 1:30, my legs were spent at that point. It looks like they should get some more snow tonight and it'll just keep getting better. After we left they opened Mineral and Road to Provo, hats off to Snowbird Ski Patrol on a job well done!

Walking back from the Baldy Bash last night, the snow had just started.

4DAFE444-036A-4304-80B7-427ECB96496D.jpeg

By the time first tram was getting ready to lift off the line was out the building and going around the building.

210FC13F-70F1-4324-AF30-6A4C432C090A.jpeg

Couple pics @travib801 got of me today, it was silly good.

BEE0259C-0A8F-46E2-80E7-FB28C958B0F6.jpeg

76DFA47F-3C9D-4B05-BE11-3893214A4715.jpeg

Pic of Travis at the bottom of the Cirque.

CF815BB8-AB00-4185-8D5F-E672394CA43B.jpeg

A short video of Travis at the bottom of the Cirque.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Silly good describes it! one of the deepest days I have ever skied. I was at the Bird as well. It took me 3.5 hours to get up there but worth every minute of the drive- Canyon road was flat out treacherous on the way up . Carbonate cliffs area seemed to be bottomless . so good , so deep - Bird reports 31 inches. I believe it . glad i brought the shovel to help dig one of my friends cars out of the Upper gad lot that little Subaru was buried!

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
videos and pics you post are awesome BobMc! those are the turns we dream about all summer- man was that a good day

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
I got up at 6:30 this morning, made plans with Travis to meet up at Lone Pine Bakery in Sandy. Lone Pine is owned by Gin Chao, a long time Snowbird skier. I'd heard his croissants were to die for and I wasn't disappointed. If you're staying in Sandy and coming to the Cottonwoods via 90th South I'd highly recommend you stop off at Gin's bakery and score yourself a breakfast sandwich. They're closed Sunday and Monday, so be aware

We got to the bypass at just after 8:00, we were the second and third vehicles on the bypass at that time. Today didn't see much pressure, when there isn't new snow the crowds don't show up. We made it to the tram plaza by 8:25, hung out with a host friend of ours waiting to see if anyone showed up. They'd announced an 8:45 opening and we waited till 8:35 and headed to the tram.

Today was definitely a spring like day, the morning had a bit of crunch here and there and some velvet here and there. As the day wore on there was even mashed potatoes to be found here and there. The sunshine was powerful, layers were stripped. I ended up hanging on the bypass with friends till 4:00,

I'm debating a Solitude day tomorrow, I still have two days left of my Wasatch Benefits. On another note, Snowbird started selling their season passes yesterday, if you buy a pass for next season you can ski the rest of this season on it. The added Cliff Lodge free room is also valid for the rest of this season, It's probably prudent to buy your pass early and be able to use the free room in a time period in which we actually may receive snow.

Tasty.

EBC54150-51F7-43CE-8F24-12DF46A637DF.jpeg

Travis being all toursity off the first tram.

5BBC4951-FCF4-43B8-A024-18B5D4E90756.jpeg

Looking down canyon.

C2EB4ECA-F725-4CD5-BAFD-484AFAEA1105.jpeg

If you're on first tram a lot you know this dude...

DDE4F306-D8CA-499C-B8F8-EEA3AE8C9AA5.jpeg

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Surprise pow day!

It was supposed to snow 1-3 inches overnight last night, I woke up at 4:30 and 8 inches was listed. By the time first tram lifted off it had risen to 10 inches. I got up at 6:30 and made it to the tram line a couple minutes after 8:00. I was four rows back, solidly on first tram. Sat there for an hour watching 7 Summits people lapping the tram while we waited. At 9:00 they started loading, about 30 people got through then they stopped the public line and at least 50 people came through the 7 Summits line. I got stopped four people back from the turnstile. I'm not sure if they were people for the IFSA comp going on or just a lot of 7 Summits people. Either way it was pretty crappy.

Even though I was relegated to second tram I still found an untracked line out on the Cirque. The snow was pretty good today, not perfect blower like a few weeks ago but still pretty darn good. The terrain was limited to the Cirque, Peruvian side, and Gad 2. Mineral, Baldy and the Road to Provo never opened. It snowed all day, and they actually closed some stuff here and there. We went to run a lap on Eddie Moe around 1:00 and they'd closed it down, we'd run a lap on it earlier.

Saw fellow Pugskier skiNEwhere in the tram line. Tomorrow should be pretty good, the NOAA is only calling for 1-3 overnight but it's been snowing at my house here in the valley for a while this evening. They've already announced a canyon closure for tomorrow morning from 6:00am to 8:00am. Once again the choice is a couple hours in your car or get up early and beat the closure. I'll see how the report looks and how I feel in the morning. Depending on how much snow they get I may wait till 9 or 10 and go up after the surge. I'll still be able to get a parking spot with the preferred pass. It'll probably take them a few hours to get Mineral or Road to Provo open. The wind was kicking most of the morning, I'm sure there was a lot of snow transport.

The tram cables disappeared into the murk, vis was tough this morning.

A8849C83-66C6-4D9E-A39D-8CBD9FCD01DB.jpeg

The IFSA junior competition went off even though I'm not sure the judges could see everything.

B72157FA-ABEE-4B7A-8B3A-9F9473D5A363.jpeg

When you're skiing pow all day wondering where everyone is and you pop into the evil castle to use the bathroom and find out where they are all at.

7E8F84D8-1A58-4349-8654-2BEF4AF94849.jpeg

A lightly tracked Who Cares at 1:30.

CE7BA792-EDA6-4741-8A41-6776E0C7EA28.jpeg

Shot Travis got of me somewhere or another.

66A79536-0EE1-4018-B6E7-9F47D4E219E9.jpeg

Short video of Travis milking some lower mountain powder.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Spring is here!

Last weekend I took a foray to Oregon and Idaho, cat skiing at Anthony Lakes and a couple days at Sun Valley. I'm pretty sure I figured out where I want to retire, but weekends like this one make it harder. Yesterday and today were perfect spring days, both days featuring brilliant sunshine and good coverage. Yesterday we were on first tram, which was about 2/3 full, the top half of the mountain was still chalky and the bottom half was a bit crisp. Today was kind of the opposite, it was a bit crunchier up top in places and the warming process was a bit behind yesterday.

With spring comes the usual scene, a lot of shorts and shirtless skiers today. Donald Trump was skiing with a king sized check made out to Stormy Daniels. The parking lot was alive all weekend, plenty of lawn chairs, grills, and general debauchery. I've heard a rumor that April 29th is being tossed about as the last day, they don't have any winter events showing on their website calendar after that.

Hoops was variable, there were spots of sheen and spots of chalk.

7D39DAC1-2874-44A9-9AB4-DED6709B81A1.jpeg

Blue tram docking.

9AB07D40-30D1-47F7-A5E8-D7BE7588AF44.jpeg

Travis's son getting a bit of air on teles.

75A667C7-8DEA-48AE-A456-25C7DFDB191E.jpeg

Myself avoiding the sheen on Hoops.

0AE1A6D2-9FDF-4834-B489-39F98DE90C84.jpeg

Scenery.

7DAE163C-D839-4376-BE1E-39E33A0DA8F5.jpeg

8A7DA21D-D3AD-4B48-AFDB-F17437628DD3.jpeg

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm heading back up for 4 days starting the 14th. I hope conditions hold up through then. Looks like there might even be some snow in the forecast?

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
It was an interesting weekend...

Got up early yesterday, forecast was for rain and we were hoping to get in a few runs before it happened. We got to the tram line about twenty to nine, the line was minimal, just the regulars. While riding the tram ice chunks were hitting the cabin falling off the cables, it was riming fairly well. We decided to take a run down Chips and see how things were. I've skied quite a few years, I don't think I've ever skied snow like what was found off any freshly groomed surface. It'd snowed a few inches overnight, what fell was basically peanut butter. There was no turning in it, we had to kinda cut back and forth pulling a hop turn to go the other way. It was a one run and done day. Luckily by leaving we missed the brunt of the rain.

I didn't expect much today and it was better than expectations. I slept in a little bit knowing the crowds would be minimal to non-existent. I pulled into the preferred area on the bypass at just before 11 this morning and I was the second car parking there. It was raining a bit in the valley and it turned to snow fairly low in the canyon. Around noon it started to graupel fairly hard, the little suckers stung when you were hauling ass. The graupel quickly acted as gripel and conditions improved greatly. With the colder temps everything off trail had a pretty hard ice coating from the rain. The wind was kicking pretty good up high, not much opened today. Little Cloud opened briefly and soon afterwards patrol closed the lift and also Regulator. I never attempted Regulator but I'd imagine it was pretty stiff. Mineral, Cirque, Road to Provo, and Baldy never opened at all, most gates accessing smaller terrain also closed as the day went on. It was definitely a day to find where the wind was leaving the snow, the rivers of new snow skied well if you could ride out the sheer ice and frozen chickenheads here and there.

Walked over to the snow from the bypass yesterday and thought it'd be ok, no overnight freeze. (Little did I know)

4FB6FFB0-D9DE-4920-B240-CA8A4A559C30.jpeg

Travis's son is becoming our tail, he's stepping it up this season and has followed us to some fairly steep lines for a little guy on teles.
D51E083F-F763-41BE-A9CE-19084934D5E3.jpeg

Little teles.

941A7BF7-21B8-4323-81ED-35FA6331C888.jpeg

Snow was piling up in the afternoon, rivers of graupel (aka gripel) coming down anything steep.

456CD3D1-2C3F-4D17-A77C-41EE8E3319F1.jpeg

Skied Sign Line gully in the afternoon, it looked good from the lift but was character building up close.

F209EF1F-FBC7-4502-8F20-4CC4EDA60FB3.jpeg

Shot Travis got of me.

3B5178CC-A529-45C7-B808-2B0E00ADDD6E.jpeg

skiandgolfnut

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am coming out the 21st. The website doesn't make it so clear. Will Peruvian and Gad 2 be closed that weekend already? Seems like the front side might only be tram, gadzoom, and little cloud.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
I am coming out the 21st. The website doesn't make it so clear. Will Peruvian and Gad 2 be closed that weekend already? Seems like the front side might only be tram, gadzoom, and little cloud.

That's what it looks like but its a bit unclear. I'm tentatively planning to be there the 19th.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Gad 2 will definitely be closed, they usually only open Peruvian on the weekends if it's busy.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
So how are conditions as we reach the end of the winter ski season?

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Beautiful spring day!

I slept in a bit and got there about 9:15, the lots were filling up fast but there was plenty of parking in the preferred area on the bypass. We got about 20 inches in the last 48 hours and Mineral and the Road to Provo hadn't opened. Mineral was open soon after the first boat and I missed that, we lapped Little Cloud for a while waiting for the Road to Provo to pop. Regulator and Little Cloud bowl were both skiing very well, a bit of crunch could still be found in the bowl but Reg was carveable top to bottom.

They popped the Road to Provo about 11:30, we had waited at the top a bit and caught it perfectly. We'd ridden a lift with a patroller earlier who told us it was variable out there, good powder in the guts of runs and scoured areas here and there. He was right, we went all the way out the Hoops and had to cross some scoured ice here and there and found deep pow where we figured we would.

We stuck to the frontside of the mountain for most of the day and then went into Mineral around 1:00, there were no lines whatsoever over there, with good reason. The snow was set up a bit more, the riding conditions were a bit tougher. The light was also flatter back there, it was hard to see the undulations of the ungroomed path to paradise. Both the path to paradise the the road to provo hadn't been groomed. This kinda helped in the orderly rope drops, people had to take it a bit slow or find themselves in a wind hole.

I skied till 2:10 or so and sat in the sun till 4:00.

Regulator.

44DE1238-A5BB-405F-9EB3-C7AD3277551B.jpeg

The line waiting for the Road to Provo rope drop.

91DE266A-4A8B-4748-BA82-F224D85B0D16.jpeg

My line.

9C68BA6A-223F-4506-A157-1602531A97D9.jpeg

Other lines.

16DC88FB-8307-414F-8944-AE83351AA9B4.jpeg

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Another beautiful spring day.

Got up this morning to blue skies in the valley, it was pretty warm when I left my house. Made it up in time for first tram, there weren't too many of us, definitely not a full tram. Travis had left his sunglasses and goggles at the car so we had to do a frontside lap. I think pretty much the rest of the tram load all headed to the sunshine of Mineral. Surprisingly enough there wasn't a very hard refreeze last night, we could still get some grip on the frontside and had an enjoyable ride down. Enough so that we went back up the tram and did the frontside again. After that we headed back to Mineral and found good snow and little crowds. The line was minimal all day we were there. After a bit back there we headed back and lapped Mark Malu area a few times, then figured Regulator was ripening and tested the waters. The waters were good, we lapped Regulator numerous times harvesting the corn. There was a bit of a breeze going that seemed to keep away most of the stickiness, it only got sticky on occasional flat spots.

Skipped skiing to go fishing up in Wyoming last weekend, fantastic weather and 4/20 weekend was celebrated in style.

075DA388-9261-4B72-B199-4AECAB9A184D.jpeg

We stuck a few.

261D5993-829B-4564-B8C6-59D987E4D474.jpeg

Warm this morning at 8:00 when I left the house.
4C0F763F-1F25-4E68-92F9-CD16884C46C9.jpeg

Beautiful day, coverage is still good with only a few bare spots on the lower mountain.

0C352714-322F-465A-9FF0-611177598ED4.jpeg

The snowbanks on the bypass road are going away and leaving artifacts for the financially challenged alcoholics to discover.

8A02D90A-5099-46BF-A407-283CAC5B4D86.jpeg

57491655-F2CA-42CB-859B-CFF475B5291C.jpeg

Some kind of construction is going on at the Birdfeeder.

F6244EDD-6D12-4332-AF9F-DC6ECE9AF741.jpeg

A patroller was handing out Alta stickers, heh.

8679A9DD-9C15-48F6-A43D-E53574C43A52.jpeg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Bob, what are the odds that Snowbird will be operating on Memorial Day Weekend?

Sponsor