• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Even the week preceding yesterday's snow was good. Rocks to dodge, but generally visible. Last Monday's 4" freshened things up nicely, and we enjoyed leftovers at Alta on Tuesday. The only real problem/danger that cropped up was stubs of trees hidden just below the surface in untracked shots like in Triple Hourglass or Mach Schnell where tripping and flipping head over heels could be an unforgiving experience. Otherwise, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the mountain skied last week despite the unfortunate early season. The word generally is that Alta is skiing better than Snowbird, with which I would concur.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
This is the time of the year when I start checking on Utah conditions! Last three seasons we headed to Deer Valley for spring break for the kids. It's been a family tradition, but we wouldn't head there if there is no snow, or just some wrod, as much as we like the area :) This year it is the first week in April. I'll be keeping an eye. Any thoughts at this point appreciated. It seems like it's not very different from the rest of the West, just a bad season. But I would appreciate some more color. Thanks!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@BobMc thanks for helping keep the stoke alive!!

I'm thinking this is encouraging for the ridge to break down.
https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/utah
Yeah, let's hope. This whole winter has been a series of "look, the pattern is changing!" only for the pattern to change the wrong way. So, I'll remain hopeful, but I'll also believe it when I see it!

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Love your reports, Bob! When I'm stuck at work I find it very enjoyable to live vicariously through your posts.
Do you know what bindings Travis skis on? That low, low tele stance tells me they are not NTN. He looks like a rippin' telemarker too!

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Love your reports, Bob! When I'm stuck at work I find it very enjoyable to live vicariously through your posts.
Do you know what bindings Travis skis on? That low, low tele stance tells me they are not NTN. He looks like a rippin' telemarker too!

Thanks! He rides on Black Diamond 01's. I've been riding with Travis for about 7 seasons now, he's gotten better every year.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Monday at Alta was amazing. Being Powder starved , I switched my normal Wednesday off for Monday and it paid off huge!!. When i arrived the parking lot was painted white and it was coming down heavy! The white goodness just kept on falling, and the runs kept on getting better- nothing better than free refills! - Gate under supreme was open and i caught some great runs under the chair and into the Bowl. crowds were low, and i got a ton of runs in. Hot tub and a few cold ones topped it off nicely. No fresh dings on the Factions, today was a good day

found out later that Alta reported 8" from 4am to close,

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Beautiful bluebird day!

It was definitely busier getting up the canyon this morning. I hit traffic before entering the canyon and it was bumper to bumper to just before the passing lane. I got to the bypass about 9:00, the lots were filling up fast. The mountain is in fine shape after the snowfall of last week. The groomers are smooth and ice free. I stuck to the frontside today, Mineral had the sunshine and unfortunately the crowds. The tram was never more than a one boat wait, and Peruvian and Zoomer had minimal lines.

I went out on the Cirque Traverse for the first time all season, holy crap, it's hard to believe it's the middle of February. There's still a fair bit of rocks to be found, and it's a bit lumpy bumpy out there. Once off the traverse I didn't hit anything but the snow was set up a bit, it was slightly sun effected.

Tomorrow looks to bring storm riding in the afternoon and a big storm for Sunday night into Monday. I may have trouble going to work on Monday.

Didn't take many pics today. View of the traffic in my rear view this morning.

5C34979A-B40A-4EA7-B272-143E030C15DF.jpeg

View of the frontside while driving home.

649A4D2F-1493-40B0-A131-648E30A4D6A4.jpeg

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tomorrow looks to bring storm riding in the afternoon and a big storm for Sunday night into Monday. I may have trouble going to work on Monday.

-Hey, boss, I can’t make it in today. I’ve got an eye problem.

An eye problem?

-Yeah, I just cant see coming to work today.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Have to have bad days to make the good days seem even better.

Today was rather uninspiring. I got up to a text from Travis with the morning report and notice of him bailing. I considered bailing as well but dutifully got up and loaded up the car. It was just a touch breezy up there today. The winds kept the tram shut down all morning. Although it wasn't too cold the wind made sure the conditions were pretty harsh, it was much firmer than yesterday. I took two runs on Wilbur and called it a day. Apparently most people agreed with Travis as the lots never filled, it was pretty quiet up there today.

The forecast for tonight still looks very favorable, tomorrow should be pretty good.

Morning report.

37B76A03-888A-4F63-A979-BCD0D191CE1A.jpeg

Storm's a comin'

C016752B-1318-4975-BE18-24B9ADB56A2F.jpeg

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got into town today, and planning my first day of the season at Snowbird tomorrow.

I’m pumped up for a pow day, but unsure when I can expect to get there. I want to get out there and get amongst it as soon as the lifts open, also my kids will be in ski school, and I need to make sure they’re there on time.

I usually stay up canyon, but am in Sandy this time. Can anyone give me an estimate or at least what is typical in terms of closing and opening tImes for LCC for avalanche control? Also, assuming I’m not through before the closing, what time would I typically need to be at the canyon to get to Snowbird around 8.30 (if that’s even possible).

Last edited:
TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
I'm guessing we'll have a canyon closure this morning. That'll tangle traffic something fierce, the choices are pretty simple. Get up at 4;30ish and beat it or spend some time in the car on Wasatch Blvd. I doubt things will open early, I'm guessing a Regulator only for the ride down from first tram. It all depends on your value of sleep to turns.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm guessing we'll have a canyon closure this morning. That'll tangle traffic something fierce, the choices are pretty simple. Get up at 4;30ish and beat it or spend some time in the car on Wasatch Blvd. I doubt things will open early, I'm guessing a Regulator only for the ride down from first tram. It all depends on your value of sleep to turns.

Thanks.

Just got an alert that says it will be closed from 6am and expected to reopen at 8am. If it was just me, I’d probably head up before the closure, but with young kids, that’s not gonna happen.

Does the expected opening time usually hold up?

If I get on line with the rest of the traffic around 7.45, could I reasonably be expected to make it to Snowbird by 9?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope you made it up Wade.

We scored a lot of powder today, it was a steep admittance price though, I got up at 4:50 this morning. Travis drove this morning, we hadn't seen any notifications of road closures until we got into the canyon and saw they had a 6:00 closure at B gate. We passed by B gate in a long line of cars at 6:04, counting our lucky stars.

We parked in the pond lot and headed to the tram building knowing interlodge would be in effect. We got to the tram line about 6:30, joining about 4-5 other people, all regulars. One of the tram ops even brought us a couple chairs and I scored a seat for the next 2 1/2 hours. The line built behind us as it got closer to 9:00, it was a three boat wait when we lifted off promptly at 9:00. We all figured we'd be handcuffed to Regulator but when atop we were informed everything but Baldy, Road to Provo, and Mineral were in play. The Cirque Traverse and the Peruvian side were open from the get go.

Travis got a place by the door, I was a bit deeper inside and he headed off to Great Scott, I made a rookie move in attempting a run on the Cirque and went too low and missed the traverse, my consolation was an untracked Puckerbrush. We'd planned to meet at Wilbur and proceeded to milk some of the low hanging fruit off that lift for a couple laps. We bounced around the mountain for the rest of the day skiing till 2:00. Saw another Pugski sticker again, saw VinceK as well, another of the callers in sick.

We kept wondering when the crowds were going to show up yet they never did. It wasn't till later we learned the road had closed back down again soon after opening. Several accidents and a bus off the road gummed things up enough they had to shut it down. Our last lift ride I told the liftie, "Gotta give a shout out to all the people that turned around and went home when they shut the canyon down again!"
I think the crowds all decided an open road + MCP pass made it worth the drive to Snowbasin.
I HATE being in the MCP. It has made SB a ZOO.

Sponsor

Staff online