• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Cloudy with a chance of grease...

Got to the tram line at 8:45, minimal pressure. There were only about 25-35 people on first tram, it was what I like to call a dancing tram. The rumors I'd heard were true, Regulator was quite tasty. Although it's the only way down you can't really go wrong, the slick surface that was there last Sunday was gone, you could get an edge down through the entire pitch. The entire mountain was skiing well from the opening bell. There was no hint of slickness.

That changed as the crowds showed up, Regulator still stayed edgeable but Emma and some parts of the Bass Highway developed some slick spots. Even though they opened up Gad 2 today, (Election laps only) there just isn't enough terrain to spread out the crowds. We met up with Marc from Firsttracksonline and spun some laps till noon. The clouds moved in and it became missiles in the mist. Emma is still the choke point, once the visibility left I wasn't willing to risk getting taken out by traffic.

The supposed storm fizzled, I think I have more snow in my yard than Snowbird is claiming. I'm hoping something changes tonight and we get some lake effect, but it isn't looking good.

Empty first tram.

IMG_7370.JPG

Got home and realized I'd been greased.

IMG_7371.JPG

IMG_7372.JPG

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
The storm that wasn't...

Nothing changed overnight, Snowbird claims an inch from the "storm." I left the house a couple minutes later than usual and missed first tram, I would've been on it if not for traffic in the canyon. Not sure if I was behind a cement truck (the remodeling of the Snowpine has been snarling traffic) or if it was the powder frenzy over the inch of new snow. The inch was a dust on crust situation and didn't really soften things up much.

Regulator is still skiing well as it sees the least of the traffic but the rest of the hill was starting to get slippery as the traffic builds through the day. Our last few runs we opted to ski the rocky/sticks/weeds rh side of Emma to get away from the traffic and slick spots. The hill has been full of races kids and they have nowhere to go but ski amongst the tourists and us. It was cold and sunny first thing and the visibility was good. We skied till about noon when a low cloud deck moved in and it started to get busy/ier.

It looks like we may have another small storm moving in Wednesday or so, it doesn't look like much but at least the pattern change is encouraging.

I pulled my phone out and tried to take a pic and it died on me. The battery on my 5s doesn't like the cold, I'm hoping I can get an iPhone X next week. My buddy Dibs aka Skifishbum took a couple pics for me.

Myself on Regulator.

IMG_7384.JPG

The sun coming over the Gad ridge.

IMG_7386.JPG

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
It's starting to come around...

In my usual tradition I handed out Christmas bonuses this morning and basically bribed my way out of there and went skiing. I got to the Zoom lot at about 9:45, the lower lot was already full and my preferred parking pass paid dividends again, front row. It was fairly chilly this morning, 19 degrees.

Each run down this morning it seemed they pulled new ropes. They pulled the rope on Lower Bassackwards below the Gad2 lift. That's always nice cause it gives options other than Emma and spreads people out a bit. Then they pulled the ropes on all the pitches below the Bass Highway. Soon after that Wilbere started spinning/loading and Wilbere Ridge opened. Harper's Ferry and Harper's East also opened. It can be a bit sticky/weedy and you may touch a few rocks here and there but at least they're leaving it up to us whether we want to ski it or not.

Every run I took down Emma I hit up the right side, after a few laps through I began to know where the rocks were and it started to ski very nicely. I skied till about 3, it definitely got slicker in the afternoon and what was great sunshine in the morning gave way to cloudy flat light. The key to most of the day was finding the tongues of gun powder, the top sections of most runs had guns on them and they would get a bit stiffer as you went lower. I think I was the first person to hit the lower section of Wilbere Ridge this morning and holy cow did it have some traction on it!

The forecast looks to be picking up, we've got a decent chance for around a foot tomorrow and more lined up for Christmas Eve into Christmas!

Looking down from the Bass Highway, it was a bit brushy but skied well.

ACCA80C0-BD8F-49E3-8A72-9CBDC1B261B2.jpeg

Looking down Bassackwards from the top of Zoomer.

BDA74CC9-BBA1-4055-8641-CFB61A20CBBA.jpeg

Portrait mode with the iPhone X, face recognition works fine with a helmet but goggles are a no go.

C9BB2E87-1BAF-4FC3-964F-F677FB7DD573.jpeg

Looking out over the valley from the Bass Highway.

CBB7DF01-4B5A-4016-B1E7-95326A005029.jpeg

Looking up at Thunder from the Zoom lot.

BF291BEC-F6BD-426D-B6A5-0DBA29805EE8.jpeg

It’s starting to look a bit more winterish.

51F9C55F-1D5D-4F64-BE05-1EAE99E22342.jpeg

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
PS It’s Christmas, don’t forget the people that make your mountain move. Tram ops, snow safety, and patrol are getting treats Christmas Eve. I weathered the Utah holiday liquor store lines today to ensure they are taken care of.

(Lifties, Mountain Safety, and individual patrollers I see get candy bags.)

69A828F4-3B05-4F53-9AB7-50EB6EB80573.jpeg

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tonight/tomorrow's front is forecast to drop double in LCC than here in the Back. So I'd normally head over tomorrow early am but...it's Christmas. Whaddya think? Enough open yet to matter? Zooish?

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tonight/tomorrow's front is forecast to have amounts double in LCC than here in the Back. So I'd normally head over tomorrow early am but...it's Christmas. Whaddya think? Enough open yet to matter? Zooish?

If it drops double like the post above you will be good to go :roflmao:

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Snow, oh how I've missed you...

It's finally starting to feel like winter around here, most of our storms have fizzled and it was nice to have one overperform a bit. Snowbird is claiming 13 inches from this impulse and I'd agree with them. Five overnight became 13 with a pretty decent snowfall today. Travis and I were about 10 chairs back from the front of the line at Zoom this morning. We got there about 8:15 and joined the line about 8:30, the line ballooned behind us but wasn't too bad considering it's Christmas weekend.

I think they let us up a few minutes early cause I didn't see any tram riders come by when we got to the top. The five new inches provided a much smoother ride, you still hit bottom obviously but the skiing was a lot more quiet. We were second and third through the gate of the short pitch left of Lunch Run, it was a nice little pow run considering the drought we've been in. Most of the morning we milked the runs off the Bass Highway, it's nice to know what it looked like last week and be able to avoid the sticks and rocks. Although, we did hit a few rocks here and there, it's still low tide.

They did get Bananas open off of Gad2, we took a lift ride over there and opted to stay away from that rock garden, I appreciate their letting us choose where to ski and I chose not to ski there. Yesterday I skied Harper's and found it pretty tasty, today we skied Harper's East and found the opposite, not enough snow to cover the sticks yet. We only took one tram ride, it was a bit stiff on Regulator, the first few turns were slick and then it eased up a bit.

Talked to a patroller and the word is the Peruvian side is going to open on the 26th. The Cirque traverse will probably be closed but Rat's Nest will be open to Cool Whip it up.

The line ahead of us...

31422A0B-DCD4-4F9E-BDCD-F5D65497388F.jpeg

The line behind us...

F4ABBD8C-B211-4262-87D4-17B444A1B413.jpeg

Bass Highway goodness, audio on the hear the low tide rock smack.

What was uncovered in the hit.

5F2FB162-8D88-4C46-B845-76C3848CE0F0.jpeg

It was nice to come back to a snow covered car.

8361DFE9-874C-4678-B64E-C8932A71CDA5.jpeg

As well as seeing plows on the road again. Although, they did that maddening thing of no 4x4 light on this morning knowing it was going to snow a foot. When we left the light was on, presumably stranding all the morons who drove up in the morning in 2wd vehicles.

14765575-257F-47AD-9B78-CA1F0E0FF33D.jpeg

Lorenzzo, get your ass over here tomorrow morning!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to try to get a friend I've promised I'd join tomorrow to come with me, text you if it's a go. Didn't think we'd get this much. DV got I'd say 15" or more as I'm shoveling that at the house in town.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Candy day!

We got to the pond lot at about 8:20 this morning, the lot attendant was my first candy giveaway. Every year I buy Whitman's individually wrapped assortments, I put one of each of the 4 varieties in a zip lock and hand them out on Christmas Eve day. This year I brought 32 baggies, I had my coat pockets stuffed full with half of them and a backpack with the other half and the whiskey for patrol, snow safety and tram ops.

I took off from the car while Travis was still fiddling with gear, I figured I'd hand out candy while I waited for him. I gave away a couple bags walking up and then a host friend of mine hollered at me, I stopped to chat with him and gave him a few to hand out to other hosts. I headed to the tram as Travis reached the plaza, Travis stopped to talk to our friend and that turned out to be a mistake. I joined the line and the minute or so Travis took to talk to Lee caused him to be about 10 people behind me. Arriving at the line I knew that may be a problem for him, the line was to the two concrete pillars, that is usually the cut off to make the tram. I figured I'd be close and he might not make it. Sure enough, just before I went through the turnstiles the ticket checker said there was room for 5 more! I made first Tram and Travis was left sitting in line.

Once on the deck I made a beeline to the patrol/snow safety office and left two fifths of whiskey with the woman in there. I came out just in time to be the last person to get on, I had to walk backwards onto the tram and squish the crap out of the people behind me. Once we were loaded and away I noticed I was standing next to Dave Fields (General manager of Snowbird), I gave him a candy bag with the exclamation I'd given everyone, "Employee appreciation day!" He affirmed a Tuesday opening of the Peruvian side and even claimed the lift would be opening running slow and loading every other chair. Being the pal I am I waited up top giving away candy to hosts, mountain safety and patrollers until Travis arrived on the next tram.

The new snow has been tilled into the groomers, there are still a few residual slick spots in high traffic areas but most everything open is skiing well. We only skied till about 11 when the crowds started building. I managed to give away 30 bags of candy while out on the hill, I drove around till I found two parking attendants and gave away the last two.

It was fairly cold today and I didn't take any pics, here's a pic of the Christmas cheer I loaded up in my pack.

0FC11043-2C55-4E51-9E2D-E4036BBF8EEC.jpeg

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbasin expanded their open terrain again today. That dose of snow and the wind that followed blew more in and set it up pretty firm. Which was good medicine for what was ailing us. Got off piste for the first time this season. I didnt hit any rocks, just a few sticks :)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbasin expanded their open terrain again today. That dose of snow and the wind that followed blew more in and set it up pretty firm. Which was good medicine for what was ailing us. Got off piste for the first time this season. I didnt hit any rocks, just a few sticks :)
I'm still leary of off-piste here, but 119 was looking mighty tasty yesterday! Might have to make some Christmas turns on it today, since we picked up another 6 inches overnight! I was skiing the torchlight parade while it was snowing, and it was nice, light snow!

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
I passed on Christmas skiing knowing the goat rodeo would be happening. Looks like I was right with delayed openings and plenty of folks on the limited trails. Travis went up today in anticipation of the Peruvian Gulch opening. That never happened, they did open Little Cloud with a Road to Ogden to Regulator only. Snowbird Ski Patrol claims on their Instagram page that the Gulch will be opening tomorrow. I hope that will make the upcoming weekend a bit more tolerable considering it looks like not much snow in the forecast.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
It's getting ugly...

Ditched out of work a few hours early yesterday and went up for some afternoon turns. The one redeeming quality was that the sun was shining, other than that it was rather uninspiring. I knew going up in the afternoon it would be greasy and I wasn't disappointed. The crowds had diminished by the time I got there around 2, but the remnants of them remained. There were plenty of glassy spots in all the usual high traffic areas.

Headed up this morning in time for first tram to arrive at the line at 8:45 and watch the first one go off. Apparently they've been running early trams the last four days, a situation I was unawares of. Luckily given the lack of snow the second tram of the day only contained about 30-40 people. Sometimes those trams are better than first as friends can move about and chat.

Travis and I headed down Chips first thing, finding pretty good conditions in all places but a few. For the most part the snow was extremely edgeable and the grooming crew had done a stellar job. Yesterday I had skied lower Silver Fox on one of my runs, I hit rocks on almost every turn. Got to the bottom and my skis wanted to punch me in the mouth. Today we kept to the trails although the now open Cirque tempted me. After talking to several friends I decided that didn't need to happen and will wait for the who knows when next storm.

The crowds built fairly early, it doesn't show in the lift lines as they are non-existent. But, the trails become uncomfortably clogged. Everyone is still all on the same trails and there is no way to get away from the crowds. If you're used to skiing amongst crowds I'm sure you'll find it fine here. But, if people within a few feet of you make you nervous, it might be a little worrisome. I'm more of the latter and today we bailed at 11:30.

It was my buddy Dibs birthday today and we headed over to Solitude to hang in the lot with him and his wife. Their report was that Solitude although mostly open is still pretty thin. I think everyone that skis a lot this season has taken some beatings on their skis.

Looking over at Silver Fox from Chips.

0F3AFA52-928B-444A-9D80-4462AD5B7DD9.jpeg

Looking out at Superior from Chips.

1991E8B9-1E7C-4FBE-A95D-236BC205B883.jpeg

The temp when we left today, it isn't helping snow preservation.

1CEE8E61-9C34-45FD-9D2E-7BCA8DCF67E4.jpeg

No snow in the forecast, hopefully the crowds at least go away after this weekend.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
It's getting hard to work up any inspiration to go skiing...

Yesterday I couldn't do it and stayed home to watch football. Today I was hoping to catch people sleeping in and get in some early morning turns. I stopped by to pick up Dibs and didn't quite make first tram, but we walked on to the tram when we got there soon after 9:00. My strategy worked in that it was pretty vacant early this morning. We enjoyed a few tram laps on the morning's fresh corduroy. Took a run out Silver Fox and found about the only decent snow on the mountain, it's a bit rocky but the snow is good.

It looks like we may have a chance for a small amount of snow next weekend. We definitely need the snow, the holiday crowds have beaten down what little snow we already had.

Didn't take any pics today, Dibs got one as I came into Silver Fox.

BB705CD1-E0E2-4BA7-B2DD-4F72CD2556D9.jpeg

Mister Mann

aka ADKS
Skier
So it sounds like a trip to SLC on my way back from LA at the end of this month won't be worth it, even with the forecasted change in weather pattern

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm coming out in three weeks, come heck or high water. I'm sometimes known to bring snow with me, but if not I will sit on the deck at Mid-Gad and sip some of that Bird Dog peachy stuff Bob is known to splash around.

Mister Mann

aka ADKS
Skier
I'm coming out in three weeks, come heck or high water. I'm sometimes known to bring snow with me, but if not I will sit on the deck at Mid-Gad and sip some of that Bird Dog peachy stuff Bob is known to splash around.
If I go, it will be in 3 weeks, so perhaps see you there. I have a Max Pass, so would be Brighton/Solitude. Just trying to figure out best way to ski on way back to NY from LA, without too much driving or transfers. Thinking Seattle, Hayden, Bozeman, Calgary, or Salt Lake. Salt Lake would be the easiest, but for the lack of snow.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If I go, it will be in 3 weeks, so perhaps see you there. I have a Max Pass, so would be Brighton/Solitude. Just trying to figure out best way to ski on way back to NY from LA, without too much driving or transfers. Thinking Seattle, Hayden, Bozeman, Calgary, or Salt Lake. Salt Lake would be the easiest, but for the lack of snow.

I saw a discussion on another site for same dilemma you are looking at. Person decided on flying home via Seattle where they found cheap stopover flight and rental car and were looking to ski at Mt. Baker and/or Whistler. Bring your passport. See here for that discussion: http://forums.alpinezone.com/showth...ions-for-West-Coast-Trip-First-Weekend-in-Jan

Mister Mann

aka ADKS
Skier
I saw a discussion on another site for same dilemma you are looking at. Person decided on flying home via Seattle where they found cheap stopover flight and rental car and were looking to ski at Mt. Baker and/or Whistler. Bring your passport. See here for that discussion: http://forums.alpinezone.com/showth...ions-for-West-Coast-Trip-First-Weekend-in-Jan
Thanks for that thread. Crystal is on my list. I've skied there several times before and have never skied Utah. Whistler and Baker aren't on the Max Pass.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Conditions greatly improved!

The small storm that was forecasted wasn't supposed to hit until after 11am this morning, but on the way up we encountered light rain till just before entry 1. Traffic backed up a bit just before where it goes to two lanes due to a vehicle off into the trees being winched out. Entry 1 was backed up to 210, they must've had a race going on today. We parked in the pond lot and it was lightly snowing.

We got there in time for second tram, there was only about 40 people on it. The morning was pretty quiet, we had runs to ourselves at times. We got to the top and found winter conditions had returned, a bit of a wind and a decent snowfall. We headed down Chips and found about an inch of fairly dense snow covering everything. The temps weren't too cold and even the snow under the new stuff was edgeable.

Even though they closed a few trails and went from 40 to 36 the place skied a lot better today than it has the last couple of weeks. It snowed at a fair clip the whole time we were there, I'm predicting this storm overproduces, which is a refreshing change from the pattern of, "Utah, where storms go to die." The crowds got there about 11, we skied till about 1 and walked onto the tram every time we rode it. Lift lines were minimal today, the hill wasn't crowded unless you encountered one of the pods of people. For some reason most of the crowds always seem to ride around together, if you time it right you can get in between the herds.

Tomorrow morning should be pretty good as well, it's still snowing/graupeling at my house here in West Jordan.

My skis have been taking a beating. Ski Utah likes to crow about the conditions but my skis would beg to differ.

C67E3A8F-ED31-4C3F-9227-43C9464260F2.jpeg

Nice to have a bit of snow at the base this morning.

02D20E25-AAC4-495E-93FA-C9E1761DDAB8.jpeg

Visited a new shrine today, Fitz was a regular on the tram and passed a season ago.

4AEA9F96-D52C-427E-AA89-F773D3394F6D.jpeg

C610C130-369E-48F8-8C57-BFFEF4822C1F.jpeg

It was a bit softer and that allowed for faster speeds and actually leaving the snow surface.

Sponsor

Staff online