• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Little Brother Time!

TheyCallMeJeff

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey there! I am new to this site and am here with a pretty big question that sorta requires a little story.
I have a little half brother who is 12 years old, he is 13 years younger than me. I love this, it has been very fun and recently I was asked a big task. Help him ski. He has done lessons and he hates them, he wants to get into park skiing but, he feels like he is being held back by his lessons which don't quite go into park skiing much. Whether that is true or not... I have no clue. I taught skiing to youth a few years ago in my early twenties with the AVSC program located at Aspen/Snowmass and I am assuming as a result my father has asked me to teach him and my father will pay me. As someone who is in between jobs anything helps a lot so I accepted. I am totally able to help him ski that's the easy part but, I was also asked to buy him new skis and my father will pay for them, he even said if I don't have proper skis he'd get some for me (not going to question him). So, I understand skis enough to make generally good recommendations to adults but, kids are another story. So anyways, I think I can find something for myself but, I don't know about the brother so I am here.
Here's His stats:

He is 151cm tall
Weighs 100lbs
Intermediate/Advanced in powder and piste but, a beginner in the park
Intended use is park but, I'd love to teach him some advanced freeride as well
I would say budget is maybe...$650

First Thoughts:
Line Tom Wallisch Shortys
Armada ARV 84

Thanks PugSki! Can't wait to see what comes up in my alerts.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@dean_spirito to the red courtesy phone.

You are on the right track with the skis, a light weight twin tip that he can flex. Dean is an awesome freestyle coach that might be able to give you some drills that he might enjoy without feeing like he is taking lessons. Just having him get out there is key, he might just have to re learn down the road to loose the bad habits he will get now.

TS
T

TheyCallMeJeff

Skier
@dean_spirito to the red courtesy phone.

You are on the right track with the skis, a light weight twin tip that he can flex. Dean is an awesome freestyle coach that might be able to give you some drills that he might enjoy without feeing like he is taking lessons. Just having him get out there is key, he might just have to re learn down the road to loose the bad habits he will get now.
Okay... Good, I was surprised to hear I did okay in my recommendation. I am seriously considering teaching AVSC this winter, I already threw in an application and received the go ahead, I just need to confirm. So, I may just see if I can get him in with a friend who teaches pre-devo freestyle lessons (even though he may not be quite at the skill level yet) because, If I am teaching other kiddos it will be hard to teach him as well but, I want him to have the best skiing experience he can. I got the A okay today so it was before I published this and I didn't know quite yet but, I'll still be getting him skis, he seems to like the sound of the Tom Wallisch Shortys, so I think that's what I'll go with because you seem to think that's something that'll work for him and will be fun. Do you have a binding recommendation for that ski? BTW, Thanks so much!

TS
T

TheyCallMeJeff

Skier
Definitely good choices with skis. You may want to also add the Icelantic Scout to that list. I actually have a pair in a 151cm I believe. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any questions about park specific instruction.
Ooooh! Icelantic! I love the sound of a Colorado company being represented... I will definitely look into those skis!