• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
Have you ever noticed that barefooters always have a grin from ear to ear? Some nice one-foot action there!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
While my kid isn't barefooting, she did push to get the act in on her birthday.

The act doesn't score terribly highave less you can fill a line with bare foot pyramids

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
While my kid isn't barefooting, she did push to get the act in on her birthday.

The act doesn't score terribly highave less you can fill a line with bare foot pyramids

Nice! I'm a show ski family for over a decade. Retired from the rat race, now. Great times.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I grew up with water skiing all around me. I lived on a lake in the Seattle area (Sammamish) and my neighbors' place was the focus of the big water ski club in the Seattle area. Their son was national all-around champion one year. There was a ski jump in front of our house and a slalom course set up out there too. We had a boat and could ski whenever we chose. However, I never took to it. I guess I didn't like coordinating with others or something. It was too loud, smelly, and the conditions were usually good only in the morning since by afternoon everyone and all of their relatives were on the lake turning it into a flat, undulating mogul field.

When I got on snow skis, though, it grabbed me and held me tight.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Love it but man the wakeboarders really tick me off....

:rolleyes:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
first time on skis was on Lake Sammish, so I've been spelling it wrong for years Pousane, unless there is another.
we still have a power boat and occasionally ski from cabin at Point Roberts, even to the Gulf islands (on a very calm day) or at end of day have frequently skied back to Crescent Beach B.C. Nice long rides but the ocean chop usually wears you out before you cross either.
it must be rougher these days as I haven't actually lasted all the way across for a few years now.
i do know when you see a pod of orcas enroute you become much more motivated to stay on the ski and are usually good for a few more miles.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
first time on skis was on Lake Sammish, so I've been spelling it wrong for years Pousane, unless there is another.
Yes, they sound quite the same. Lake Samish is maybe 5 miles south of Bellingham. Lake Sammamish is right along interstate 90 on the way east from Seattle; Issaquah is the town at its southern end. It's about 10 miles long and you can see just the tippy top of Mt. Baker at the end of it from where I lived. The mountain is about 90 miles north of there.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
In winter we all want first tracks. In the summer it isn't any different. 5:30am barefoot sets rock!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The first time I tried water skiing when I was 12 I had trouble getting on plane but refused to give up so ended up getting pulled around Duxbury Bay with my bathing suit at my ankles after they fell down.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In winter we all want first tracks. In the summer it isn't any different. 5:30am barefoot sets rock!

You must be a tournament director. Make us wake up way too early! Even in the desert, it's cold at 5:30 am (relatively). Skiing early is the hardest thing about tournament days.

Actually, it's the evening glass off that's the holy grail. The sky getting a little orange (to highlight the buoys), the sun doesn't broil you anymore, your ski slices through that buttery water, and you can give it everything because the day will be over when you are. The perfect ending to a warm summer day.

Eric

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
You must be a tournament director. Make us wake up way too early! Even in the desert, it's cold at 5:30 am (relatively). Skiing early is the hardest thing about tournament days.

Actually, it's the evening glass off that's the holy grail. The sky getting a little orange (to highlight the buoys), the sun doesn't broil you anymore, your ski slices through that buttery water, and you can give it everything because the day will be over when you are. The perfect ending to a warm summer day.

Eric

Nope, the wakeboarders come out by 10am.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm quite envious of water skiers. long ago in high school a childhood friend took some of us up to their families cabin on a lake in Michigan. 3 of us kept trying to ski with limited success. I just remember a lot of ingested water through my nose. When we were all done my friends brother did say we did well considering how choppy the water was.

I don't think I could have skied much better on glass, but recalled this years later when my eldest wanted to join a show team. She dragged along my other kids and spouse to participate, I was happy to be a flunky.

Some good times though mostly a spectator .. got to see some amazingly well skilled skiers and acts in Midwest Division 1. The acts and shows are really great considering it's a May to Sept season (on water) at best. Last year Div 1 invited the Sarasota Ski-A-Rees who while small are made up of what I'd call an A team of skiers who took 1st. The shows were all great but I can say the Ski-A-Rees were a bit heavy on overall talent which showed placing (I think) pretty much their whole team on the water for a 3 - 5 high and their jump team was oh so consistent.

Best part is simply like snow skiing, it turns out a great family activity.