• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Linking up with like minded people

asolo

Booting up
Skier
I have IKON pass, live in on Front Range. Typically ski Eldora, Winter Park, Steamboat.

I am looking to:

1. Get into some sort of "masters" league to be able to try and train with gates
2. Link up with a group of adult racers

Just trying to grow skills and what's better than practicing with other people.

Thanks!

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
Eldora has a pretty solid masters program (or at least did a few years ago): https://www.eldora.com/plan-your-trip/lessons-rentals/programs/masters-snowsports-racing
Coaches are pretty good, Chute/LaBelle are pretty good training venues, and masters racing in general is super fun. Training Thu-Sun

Steamboat also has a pretty decent program through SSWSC: https://www.sswsc.org/winter-programs/adult-programs/masters
I don't know this program as well.

Is there anybody here that does the Eldora masters? I would not mind chatting or connecting with these folks. I am planning to take a test day this weekend and see if it is worth it to pay for the full season.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't know any details, but I think Copper has an adult race league. A couple of friends from here who winter in Breck race in it. You may want to look into that too.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Is there anybody here that does the Eldora masters? I would not mind chatting or connecting with these folks. I am planning to take a test day this weekend and see if it is worth it to pay for the full season.
I have skied with and worked with them a while back. I know most/all of the coaches. They're good people. With Eldora going Ikon, I know they've lost some of their more committed athletes to Loveland ...

That said, it's a pretty good program. They work pretty closely with the CU club program (a pretty with-it USCSA program) on Thu/Fri training.

Rocky Mountain Masters is a pretty awesome group of people. I'd highly encourage you to join a masters program and go to masters racing if you are interested. It's super fun, really positive, and the camaraderie and support is like almost nowhere else in ski racing (except maybe some of the lower-tier USCSA races)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Hi @asolo , I have been in Rocky Mountain Masters since 2002. The link to rmmskiracing.org provided above will give you a lot of the information you are looking for, especially the training programs in the area. We race all four disciplines and if you are interested in SG and/or DH, there is a great 5 day speed event a Cooper (not Copper). The first day is specifically oriented to never-evers with me as a coach. :cool: The course is relatively easy with no objective hazards; it is a fairly wide, straight trail with interesting terrain, but no blind corners or big air. It is perfect for getting your feet wet in speed. Cooper is also steeped in 10th Mt. Division history and a great family resort.

I have an Epic Local pass so hooking up for skiing is unlikely, for now at least, but feel free to call or message me (I messaged you my number) if you'd like to talk about masters racing in CO.

The racing at Copper (not Cooper ;) is very serious business league stuff. Half, if not more, of the field are Masters racers; it is pretty high level competition. Lots of camaraderie, loads of fun.

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
Hi @asolo , I have been in Rocky Mountain Masters since 2002. The link to rmmskiracing.org provided above will give you a lot of the information you are looking for, especially the training programs in the area. We race all four disciplines and if you are interested in SG and/or DH, there is a great 5 day speed event a Cooper (not Copper). The first day is specifically oriented to never-evers with me as a coach. :cool: The course is relatively easy with no objective hazards; it is a fairly wide, straight trail with interesting terrain, but no blind corners or big air. It is perfect for getting your feet wet in speed. Cooper is also steeped in 10th Mt. Division history and a great family resort.

I have an Epic Local pass so hooking up for skiing is unlikely, for now at least, but feel free to call or message me (I messaged you my number) if you'd like to talk about masters racing in CO.

The racing at Copper (not Cooper ;) is very serious business league stuff. Half, if not more, of the field are Masters racers; it is pretty high level competition. Lots of camaraderie, loads of fun.

Thank you! At this point I am mostly interested in slalom (I really hope to avoid injuries, since I am quite invested in endurance sports, skimo, etc). This is not to say I won't be there in a few months :)

One thing I am concerned about is that I do not have a background as a ski racer as a kid (my background is figure skating; I think there are a lot of similarities).

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you! At this point I am mostly interested in slalom (I really hope to avoid injuries, since I am quite invested in endurance sports, skimo, etc). This is not to say I won't be there in a few months :)

One thing I am concerned about is that I do not have a background as a ski racer as a kid (my background is figure skating; I think there are a lot of similarities).

Don't let that bother you. You will be welcome regardless of experience. Lots of our racers started in their later years.

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
All right, tomorrow try #2 at Eldora :)

Today was one of those days: first traffic, then car broke, then Eldora ticket window said "Masters racing one day? I don't think we sell those".

Morning skiing was good never the less :)

Thanks everyone!

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
Ah, it worked. So much fun! Great crowd and coaching staff, very welcoming indeed. I think I am going in all the way :)

Funny: they had GS training and I was on SL skis. I was having a ball, staying edge locked from top to bottom.

Borrowed a 188cm/30m GS skis and... I could not ski at all. I could throw around those skis, but I could not carve period. Those things would just go straight line. I could skid, but not ski. LOL.

Thanks everyone! This is huge.