• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
That article was obviously orchestrated by LV's "peeps."

LV has been incredibly well coached with the media in recent years. Go back five or so years, and I think most would be shocked at how much more articulate, confident and frankly "brighter" she sounds. It's probably reasonable to assume that they granted an interview to the writer, and stipulated that they would control the questions, the content, and had the ability to edit the final product before it went out. So , please, take it with a grain of salt. This is mainstream media, more numbers for LV. All good for that next career.

I almost spit coffee all over my laptop at the comment that "I have enough media." Really? Be serious. She is ALWAYS in the media. She is always on social media. 1 Million plus fans on Instagram, three times more than any other alpine skier. And they post every single day, to drive it up. What do you think about her decision to race at Soelden? Or her "intent to possibly race" there. I know what I hear. I has NOTHING to do with a desire to race. It puts her in the spotlight as the tour starts. She knows that she is cooked as a GS skier. Is she dumb enough to risk whatever se has left on the toughest women's hill on tour, or embarrass herself with a real average result. Why?

The quotes from FIS, and the Austrians are probably the most illuminating to readers. Nothing new at all, but for many it should be clear that those with the power and holding the cards think this is a joke, an insult and a waste of time. Some of us have posted this. It's a Euro centric group, and they want ZIP to do with this.

This crap about skiing against the men, the next level, etc. MAY HAVE HELD SOME WATER when she was at the top of her career, and dominating a women's field that was not quite as strong. Now she is on the downside of her career, not a kid, and she is going to be beaten a lot more than she will win this season. If Stuhec was healthy, I think most would bet on her every single day. Even at Lake Louise.

This is all about LV. "I have enough media." Ha! Sure you do.

I admire her as a skier. She is undeniably the best women's speed skier ever. Maybe the best speed skier ever. Certainly a case can be made for best woman racer ever. Period. Even maybe the best ever. But she is on the way down and she is setting up the next career{s}, and maximizing every single buck and opportunity in the meantime.

When she and her agents perpetuate this stuff, even those who have watched her closely get disappointed. It is a carnival. I wish her well in all of her future. Just don't turn the sport that has given her everything into a carnival. Despite get words, that is what it is. And she is the one pushing. The USST should be ashamed that they are in on this. They have SO many issues. Work on those.

Do you think ANYBODY associated with the mens tour really thinks this is close to a good idea, or even worth discussion?

Or others on the womens tour? Guarantee they see it as "Classic LV drama. All about her, all the time."

"I train with them all the time" is also a real, real stretch. We've discussed that before. At least she left her "and I beat them" line out of this one.

"It's important for women to have equal rights." I agree, 100%. This has nothing to do with equal rights.

Rant over til next time.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Interesting bit of good old misogyny keeping me down, those sexist Euro pigs woven into that. Hmmm wonder how many of her WC peers see her as striking a blow for womankind rather than just for LV. You can almost sense the eyerolling in locker rooms around the circuit.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I honestly can't fathom how LV can ski at anywhere near the level she skied at before those horrific injuries she has sustained in the past few years. I'm glad she still has enough left to compete, and possibly win on a very good day for her versus other younger competitors. I don't see her dominating the women's field much less being top 50 of the men in her present condition..

If she wants to participate in a circus it should be against older, retired or almost retired men if any ala BJ King Vs Bobby Riggs sideshow..

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm not sure why the resistance is so strong. She wants to race. Wanted to at her peak when she had a better chance. Still wants to. Thinks she can do well - just like any of the men trying to break in.

If being at the top of the venues she is allowed to race isn't enough to get her entry to what can?

Is the prize money the same for Men and Women? If not, she has a good claim.

She might do as well as she thinks. She might be DFL as so many think. (Of course if she's not the worst, some male skier will be.) What is the worry?

Eric

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
personally as I have said before, i think it is just a media ploy by LV. She keeps asking since she knows they will not grant it. I really don't care. Let her race and Lake Louise is fine by me. But she can't race there in the women's race also then as if would be unfair for her to have extra training there. That would be interesting to see her decision if FIS said: Ok, you can race once next year at Lake Louise. Men or Women. What's it going to be?

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
I almost spit coffee all over my laptop at the comment that "I have enough media."

Yikes!! Glad you didn't trash your laptop. Thanks for reminding me that having PR agents means that not only do they help structure their social media, but they do reach out to papers to plant stories favorable to their clients. That is something that slipped my mind. I guess all her personal media attention will now have to be considered in that light.

"It's important for women to have equal rights." I agree, 100%. This has nothing to do with equal rights.

Totally agree; if it was about equal rights, we'd see way more support from the other women skiing WC.

She is undeniably the best women's speed skier ever. Maybe the best speed skier ever. Certainly a case can be made for best woman racer ever.

'nuff said!!

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
She should just hit up some popular Euro male DHer or three, put on the GoPros and battle it out on Instagram. No money, no prep, no official BS. If she gets criticized for any reason they can just say it was for fun and it would be true.

Find a well groomed trail and close it off from the public. Invite photographers to be in strategic positions. Use simple timing, etc. Not much different than normal training.

This would be wildly popular, get her and all the sponsors a ton of publicity and marketing value, and cost next to nothing to do.

Even better, if Askel or whomever pulls back a little at the end and lets her scoot ahead then they can keep perpetuating this for maximum marketing value.

Why produce an event or contort the FIS stalwarts when you can simply DO IT YOURSELF and probably make even more money as a result?

And then if she can legitimately challenge those guys she'd have some validity to her claim of racing the men on an official basis.

~~~

She's been able to do this at various camps for years. Probably her entire career. That she hasn't done it or hasn't publicized the results explains that this is just an attempt to get attention from the press.

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
I think I'm out on this one. Nine pages is enough.

I'll leave you with one quote from somebody who has known her, well, since they were young teens. As of this summer:

"Such classic Lindsey. So bold, so insecure. Such a head case. And these days such a shameless media whore.
Always has been all about her, always will be."

It's not about her competing. Not about equal rights. Some just refuse to believe that. Don you think she wants to try to see how she stacks up with the guys at this point, or wants the air time, the photo ops, the interviews, the whole show?

Do you think the most dominating SL skier in the history of the sport thinks she needs to race against guys? Just think that over. And as little as you know her, I still bet you can draw a logical conclusion. No. Different people. Not going to happen, ever.

If you care about this sport, you do NOT want the USST to be wasting 10 cents, 10 minutes, or an ounce of energy on this. So many other fires to fight. Taking FIS on would be beyond stupid. "Yeah, we lost another possible WC race in the USA because we pissed off the FIS masthead pushing for LV." Or countless other issues where you need the vote in your favor. No. Please. It's a very political group, and you need to function with them. What on earth do you waste "currency" on this?

@Frankly's cell phone comment. Priceless.

I am pretty sure that RedBull could orchestrate this, with some type of SG-ish thing with ALL of their top guys and LV. If they'd be willing to do it. i.e., they could see the marketing upside. Svindal, Hirscher, Pintu, HK, Erik Guay? Of course they might not want to be in the media spotlight like LV. Who knows.

ALS is going to be headed into the PE/VC finance world as an entrepreneur.
Hirscher is a private guy and has a bundle of cash.
Pintu? No clue, has a lot left in the tank. Focusis one skiing.
Guay? Doesn't seem like a media type. But done after this season.
HK? Young, has WC wins and globes in his sights.

Not sure they'd sign up.

Maybe it's the guys in Head's stable? ALS, Guay, Pintu, Ligety, and even the old guys: Cuche, Klammer? Bode shot himself in the foot there.

It's never going to be a FIS sanctioned, "real" downhill. Is that kind of clear?

It's not about the competing. All about you know who...

But heck, one interview, one post here, and we're all debating it. I think I have better things to do.

Muleski

Inactive
DR could be a possibility. He still draws a RedBull paycheck, and he still rips. Guys his age, and Cuche might make it a closer "race."

Remember, Tomba promised his mother that he would never race DH. And never did. Wasn't that part of the reason why his dad bought him his first Ferrari, after the first gold medal? No DH. I think his only bad wreck was in a SG. So he might not work.

But then again, social life with Tomba and LV could be reality show worthy. The guy is hysterical.

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier

This was a fun video that Head did w/Cuche and Gut running a timed GS training course last year. Cuche still has the goods. Both racers looked like they were giving it a good effort. DC, DR, & the Herminator would all smoke LV on a good day. I do like the idea of a LV/Tomba Reality show....hmmm...I wonder if LV's PR folks are tracking this thread!

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Lara Gut is the most marketable skier ever and a great representative for sport, she looks and skis fantastic but better than that she's personable and can talk well.

All of them are really great kids but not many can handle the celebrity and attention as well as she appears to do.

Muleski

Inactive
Lara Gut has it all, and I have heard consistently that she is a great person. The complete package, for sure.

She's Swiss, raised in Ticino, so she speaks fluid Italian, as well as French, German, and very, very passable English.

Cute as can be, WC overall winner. And, she just appears really likable and genuine.

I would think that she is a dream client for any number of organizations. Huge upside.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Lara Gut has it all, and I have heard consistently that she is a great person.
I'm pretty sure anyone worked with her (not people on media side) would strongly disagree :D When cameras turn on, she puts her cute smile on and it doesn't go off until last camera is turned off. For people who worked with her, like coaches, service guys her own PR team etc., and have no cameras there, things are different ;)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm pretty sure anyone worked with her (not people on media side) would strongly disagree :D When cameras turn on, she puts her cute smile on and it doesn't go off until last camera is turned off. For people who worked with her, like coaches, service guys her own PR team etc., and have no cameras there, things are different ;)

Have heard ruminations of this. What is sort of a bummer is that 'looks' get wrapped up into the 'success' equation. Guess it's our nature. One day we'll focus on the athlete, not the aesthetic.

(and yes, I do appreciate 'beauty', but it really is something that we should separate from the 'athletic'.)

Muleski

Inactive

That makes perfect sense. They two people who I have heard glowing things about her from are media and communications types and no doubt she has on the public face. I can absolutely see that one.
Is her father still heavily involved with her program? As I recall, when she was younger at least, he was really "difficult." Or so it was said.

My mom used to call somebody with the great public "face" a street angel, house devil. Guess she had me fooled. Short blonde.

Sponsor

Staff online