• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great competitors need a killer instinct to succeed. It doesn't need to be there for public relations but it needs to be there on the race course, in the training, in the scheduling and in all the small details that lead to success. Maybe that leaves Lara (and Lindsey and Bode and a lot of others) open to criticism but the results are what really matter.

The good public face and athletic beauty are nice additions. Enjoy our stars.

Eric

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Great competitors need a killer instinct to succeed. It doesn't need to be there for public relations but it needs to be there on the race course, in the training, in the scheduling and in all the small details that lead to success. Maybe that leaves Lara (and Lindsey and Bode and a lot of others) open to criticism but the results are what really matter.

The good public face and athletic beauty are nice additions. Enjoy our stars.

Eric

There's a lot to be said for that. Though so much of the behind the scenes stuff is not in the hands of the athletes. It gets taken care of, more so than ever. And I think that being great with the press, with fans, etc. has always been tough, particularly on tough days. The whole world of media is just so different in 2017. So, yeah, it's more than PR, it's more than a publicist. It's full on tactical social media campaigns, backboned and driven by serious market research. So, we might as well get used to a bigger disparity between the "real" person, and the marketing face than ever before.

And no doubt there is some "snapping" off camera, more by some than others when anything is "not right." I had, wrongfully, I guess, assumed that Gut was more on the go with the flow side, than the snap-show side.

I'll weigh back in after checking in a couple of days with two friends. One is a journalist who covers the sport, who has been so positive about Gut. My hunch is that when she interacts with him, she is fully "on" and just charming and delightful. He probably is out of the loop, or just not "digging into the details" with the group that basically works on the WC. I have zero insight into the Swiss. Don't even know who she trains with, and if she is on her own program. Is her father {Pauli?} still driving all of this?

Would be curious as to whether she trains with Tina Weirather, Holdener, etc. Or on her own. I had been assumption that she was more part of a team, but I bet I'm wrong. If her dad is still the head of things, this is making perfect sense to me.

@Primoz, when she signed with Head, did she pick up Chris Krause as her tech? Is he still with her? Another piece of the pie.

So many parts to the program. I can easily deal with the temperamental, driven, hard to deal with superstar. So what else is new? Most have been that way. The current mode of being completely reinvented via social media is what it is. Vonn, Mancuso, Maze, and Gut, I guess. I do think that what we see is what we get with a few of the women. They may have a lot less to gain and less focus on it at this stage of their careers.

Nothing shocking or surprising, I guess.

TS
oldschoolskier

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think the important thing is let the atheletes be atheletes.

I suspect that more than one gets injured or burnt out because of the demands of handlers, organizations and the such for promotion of one thing or another.

Reading all the inside knowledge that has been shared here it becomes very apparent that once they are successful they have little control over their lives other than to perform like a trained seal on the demand of handlers. Reading further into it appears that they are almost child like and at this stage still need to be cared for. (BTW I see this in other sports as well).

I would rather that in LV’s case if she really wants it to prove something for herself let her do it. If it’s for her handlers for promotion charge them for endangerment as they are not looking out for her best interests as it means $$$ for them.

GRRR! Not an easy solution or answer at best.

Muleski

Inactive
On a somewhat related note, presume people are now aware that LV's latest romance is now over. Been chatter for a couple of months, but she went to the press with the news a week or so ago.

And, if you follow her on Instagram, it's almost all video clips of her working...hard. Or so it seems.

I'll give her credit for that. She appears to be really giving it a huge effort. Impressive. I think it's for real.

Lake Louise could be really interesting.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m with Muleski on his view that the USSA and USST should focus attention on the development of some depth in the national teams rather than this bogus PR stunt. When all a nation of 320 millions of people, blessed with an abundance of awesome mountains and snow, and possessed of immense wealth, can produce is a tiny handful of competitors capable of even getting a second run something is rotten.

TS
oldschoolskier

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think you see this on a lot of high performance atheletes, they grow up very focused and directed but miss out on some aspects of life the”normal” kids do.

They then explore later floating in and out of sports.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Source is TMZ?
"Campaign" = TMZ reporter on street asking if she still wants to race men. Answers, then adds "it'll happen eventually". That's a campaign.
My yawn comes from sources like TMZ revisiting stuff like this.
Is it really Lindsey this time or tabloid journalism?

Muleski

Inactive
Not LV. No chance of FIS supporting this, as discussed ad nauseum. LV has one season before she retires. She has other priorities.
If she ends up doing some stupid exhibition on any easily hill post-retirement, I personally think it would a shame and a waste. She's going to drain the tank next season getting to #87.
I hope she is a bit less glitzy with the social media until then. She's been pretty good about it, IMO. Better than a year ago.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is it really Lindsey this time or tabloid journalism?

Not LV. No chance of FIS supporting this, as discussed ad nauseum. LV has one season before she retires. She has other priorities.
When I asked the question, I knew the answer.
There is no credibility in the TMZ BS.

Muleski

Inactive
Basically, the reality of almost anything related to ski racing, appearing in the press, and being accurate is very low. I read stuff that makes my eyes roll, even in the ski press. My point was that LV has other things on her mind. She could push with every connection she has and no chance that they'd pull anything together this season. So....it goes to the sideshow/circus if at all. And if she's the winningest alpine racer in history by then, why? Think we all agree!

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
IF you are not dominating your current competition to the point that is is a foregone conclusion you are going to win every race by a large margin, there is ZERO reason to go to “the next level”. While LV is clearly still winning races, she is not the dominate skier to the point of the races are not worth watching except to see how much she will win by.

IF she seriously wanted to test herself against the best, then she should demand to ski Kitz with the men. Until she makes that demand, then just be quiet and go chase #87

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My bet is that if this were to happen it would be about ten years from now at one of those Aspen celebrity ski race events versus Bode on one of those super easy courses famous rich people who barely ski can handle..

And after that she'll do Dancing with the Stars again.. as in probably several times..

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope she is a bit less glitzy with the social media until then. She's been pretty good about it, IMO. Better than a year ago.

Lots of training and having her sister try the core workouts. Rather funny.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
This discussion reminds me of an interview ABC did in the late 80s with McEnroe trying to drum up a new Battle of the Sexes match between him and Navratalova. McEnroe responded by saying... "even if I was playing horribly I'd murder her"..

This is kind of interesting.. 538 group ran some statistical analysis on the data available to see what the outcomes might be in mix competition..

What If Men And Women Skied Against Each Other In The Olympics?

koeze-olympic-times-22.png

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I'm at best an amateur ski race watcher... but, the course sets for men are very different vs. women for all those charts you posted @crgildart . So average speed means squat IMO. I remember some slalom sets for men that had sections that were *almost* uphill.

Muleski

Inactive
I'd love to see the "data" supporting that ^^^^^. Let's say, having been around a few, "I'll call bullshit". Mens average speed, among other things, has always been faster in every event, every games. Think about course sets, and everything else. Actually, I don't want to see the "data."
Let's kill this topic. Foolish. Not "higher level" discussion.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online