• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Banjo knees in the start. Well Done Lindsey!
:bestday:

James

Out There
Instructor
Amazing finish after a slow for Lindsey start. Love it that she used the classic white speed suit this week and not that new green one. How nice that she was in the top seat for several skiers after. Really a great ending to a phenomenal career.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
7220F6D7-7516-4AF3-B67B-1938DDAF1409.jpeg

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I saw that pic, posted by Bode, who is starting to make an effort to grow followers on Instagram {or Lowell, his agent is}.
Was curious about the logo on the microphone?

I think the caption was something like #threelegends. True!

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm going to miss watching her ski, or I should say fly. Been watching her for decades and now it's over. Amazing career, also glad we have another great American peaking at the moment for hopefully many years to come.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I made sure to watch this yesterday AM....well worth it. I am so happy that she finished on the podium...I gotta admit, I was nervous watching, after her previous crashes. Glad she got to end her career her way, on her own terms.

James

Out There
Instructor
Remember the shin injury in Austria before the 2010 Olympics? That threatened the whole four gold medals or whatever the press had built up. She stayed in Austria like an extra week and among other things got the cheese therapy on her leg. They cover the injury with some special Austrian cheese.
She got lucky with delays to the downhill from weather. Race day was a gorgeous bright day with snow in the evergreens, white peaks on the horizon above the dark green forested slope. The colored banners and the red gates glowed in the sun with long shadows on the course. Classic.

I don't know how this course ranks amongst all the women's courses, but it was long with lots of turns. Barely any gliding sections. Lots of fall aways and that big banked compression turn.

Lindsey says in the video that surprisingly she wasn't nervous, just extremely focused and had a gutsy run on the edge. What a day for the US team with Mancuso in the lead and finishing 2nd.

IMG_5855.PNG

Gorgeous view from the start. Whistler was in fine form.

IMG_5848.PNG

On the edge from the start.

IMG_5849.PNG

Seemingly always in a turn on this course.

IMG_5850.PNG

The big Frog Bank turn.

IMG_5851.PNG

One of the long sweepers towards the bottom.

IMG_5852.PNG

The Hot Air jump at the bottom.

IMG_5857.PNG

First place with bib 16 and looking like gold, eight years after her first Olympics in Salt Lake at 17yrs old.

Mancuso and Vonn runs. Vonn segment at 2:50.

Vonn discusses the 2010 downhill.

James

Out There
Instructor
IMG_5858.jpg

Lindsey Kildow, age 10, meets Picabo Street, 1995. Pierce Ski and Skate near Minneapolis

Picabo after seeing her ski at age 15:
“The faster she went, the bigger the smile she got on her face,” Street said. “You can’t teach somebody to love the fall line like that little girl loved the fall line...
I had never seen anybody ski as well as she could at that age. I knew the sky was the limit for her.”
https://www.ktvb.com/mobile/article...-lindsey-vonn-and-picabo-street/277-513643703

IMG_5859.JPG

Fabrice Coffrini AFP
Crans-Montana 2008

Lindsey Vonn at the Summit
By BILL PENNINGTON FEB. 3, 2010
---------------
"Athletics at the highest level is a sport within a sport,” she answered, looking at the ceiling. “When you’re young, you develop ways to win, and you think they will always work, but then you get to the top, competing against the other top athletes, and sometimes things don’t work. You go home and ask yourself what went wrong, and for me the answer was that I didn’t have enough confidence in my preparation, and I didn’t have enough trust in myself.

“So now I know that I’ve worked harder and prepared myself better than anyone. And I have put things in place. I have a race routine. I have a team of people helping me. I have winning habits. I believe in myself. I have balance in my life. In the end, it’s a mental maturity to let your best come out.”
----------------------------
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/magazine/07Vonn-t.html

James

Out There
Instructor
I love that photo of her at age 10....all that potential right there...that she managed to realise. Fantastic.
The amazing thing is that just seven years after that picture, they both were on the US Ski Team for the Olympics. Salt Lake, 2002. Lindsey had the best finish of the women, a sixth in the combined.

Another shot from the 90's:
IMG_5862.JPG

Wearing bib #171!

Random Lindsey Vonn quote.
Cowbells:
“I love the cowbell, I think it’s awesome… It’s a classic part of ski racing. The cowbells are what make all the noise. It’s like cheerleading. Anything to make you feel like people are behind you, I think that’s special."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-olympics-is-cowbell-so-much-cowbell/?utm_te