• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lindsey Vonn on The Dan Patrick Show

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This was a fun interview to watch. Funny stuff.
Worth 20 minutes of your time.
Full interview here.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Jed Peters found this:
oh snap.tiff.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The next interview, on ESPN was actually a better interview, although I like the humor of Dan Patrick's crew.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
We're big Lindsey fans here. She gets a bit of flack given she's such a competitor and has that intensity when it comes to competition.
But we've found her very much down to earth and a great role model (a great message for the girls) who always makes time for the kids. (She literally doesn't leave the corral until all the kids that want to meet her get to).

For athletes her story is a great one to share about overcoming challenges and working hard to achieve your goals.

She's the real deal and happy to share her many learnt lessons with the kids. My daughter (8) got to experience a short 1on1 with her and Lindsey was amazing.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@hbear its good to hear those thoughts on Lindsey. I know she gets some flack for her "in your face" media attention, but she is someone who is going to be relevant long after she's done on the racecourse.
I like how she is promoting her book to encourage girls to be the best version of themselves and is willing to talk about her own bout with depression and struggles with body image.
Strong is the new Beautiful

Dedication in the book:
To those who don't think you're beautiful enough
You are beautiful, no matter what size you are.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think she said the European coaches used to call her a "monkey circus" or something like that....

I know she's told the story of her meeting Picabo Street and the profound impact that made in her life to meet her hero....clearly she remembers the impact Picabo had on her and embraces her role to the next generation of kids growing up. She's been my daughters ski hero from the time she started following the World Cup racers. The incredibly positive experience my daughter had from meeting Lindsey I'm sure was no different than the feeling Lindsey had when meeting Picabo. It's not often we get to meet our heroes and as a parent there are very few things that are better than seeing your child meet theirs.

http://www.redbull.com/ca/en/snow/s...ndsey-vonn-s-the-climb-documentary-movie-free
Old documentary now, but a great peek into her journey after her knee injury.

Her Running Wild with Bear Grylls was a fun episode to watch as well. (Although clearly cut to emphasize her competitiveness and use of lingo). Some interesting conversation about her thoughts on marriage which have no doubt been shaped by her experiences. She is who she is and doesn't apologize for it.

Last edited:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
She's simply a force of nature. Her will to compete is just amazing. My youngest's favorite is Schiffrin but the oldest is absolutely in love with LV as is her father.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
She is who she is and doesn't apologize for it.

There is it in a nutshell. You have to give her that, it is not a cute "Oh, Lindsey being Lindsey" thing, she is putting herself in a position to be a marketing juggernaut. Good for her.

Prickly Jones

Jetsetting Curmudgeon
Skier
My pet peeve is American journalists always describing these guys as "Olympic gold medalist" or whatever, like the fact that this is the woman who's won more times than anyone else doesn't matter.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My pet peeve is American journalists always describing these guys as "Olympic gold medalist" or whatever, like the fact that this is the woman who's won more times than anyone else doesn't matter.

I think you are being prickly here.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can see where he is coming from but as skiers I think we are too close to the story. I am not sure how many people here watch the Dan Patrick Show? @Tricia and I actually do. This book tour of Lindsey's is not to appeal to skiers, it is going mass market and main stream. Some of the questions like not know if skiers and snowboarders get along or if it was OK to ski in jeans were rediculous to us as skiers but for her new audience, they either got missed or were insightful. Could have been hysterical if she jsut added something like, "Dan, if you pizza pie and not french free, you're gonna have a bad day". Skiers would have loved it as an inside joke for the industry but the whole pizza pie part was borderline painful.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I've impressed with how she has grown in terms of her dealing with the media in recent years. She has a very good agent and team working for and with her. No doubt, barring injury, she's going to dominate over the next two years. For me, the only question is whether she can get the 100th victory by the end of the 2018 season, and if not, is that a goal to pursue? She has a chance to be a huge star in 2018, the likes of which this sport has never seen.

She {they} are setting her up for a great future. And I agree, great for her, and good for the sport. If she's inclined to help the USST close the funding gap, even better. Her stardom will probably grow after she hangs them up. Can't imagine that it won't.

Her public persona appeals to a real wide horizon of people. Getting some great advice and coaching in that area. Complex young lady. She's been pretty much a full time elite athlete since she turned 15, and it hasn't always been a great ride.

Nice to see her spending time with kids, and doing all the right things. There was a time when she wasn't quite as nice. I attribute it to simply growing up and getting some great advice. It sounds like she's done well on this book tour. Nice to see.

No doubt, incredibly hard worker, built to be a speed skier, and fierce competitor. And in the personality, media and marketing...can't lose these days. Plus, she has cool dogs.