• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Guessing that this is part of a carefully orchestrated. season long, media and PR blitz by all of her team of handlers. There will be good bye ceremonies, presentations, gifts, and huge media presence at every stop of the WC, I am expecting.

This is not exactly new news. I believe that most felt that this would be it, including the FIS World Champs this season. And standing at 82 wins, she has a real shot at the record. There was talk that she had some other number in her head, and if she got the record, she would keep pushing on, perhaps past the season. I have no idea what the number is/was. Years and many injuries ago, I believe it was 100. Now, I think she realizes that it's time and that hopefully she stays healthy and has a very good season. The record would be icing on the cake.

Wish her the best. Incredible ski career. And a whole lot of new chapters to open. I would bet she "kills it" in her post race career. Much more so than I would have guessed five years ago. She is a very good example of the power of Instagram. And why you see others feverishly posting trying to increase their followers.

Hoping for a great start to her season at Lake Louise.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wonder if she'll stick with it or....
20181012_101518.jpg

wutangclan

Getting on the lift
Skier
As a Canadian, I don't naturally gravitate toward American athletes. But Vonn is an exception ... I've become a huge fan of hers in recent years. No doubt she is a polarizing figure, especially given her politics and personal life, but I think interviews like this demonstrate what an incredible ambassador she is:

If you turn on Google's auto-translate to English (unfortunately a tricky two-step process), you'll see that she's not just speaking tourist's German -- she is being incredibly articulate, thoughtful and fluent in her responses. All the more impressive given that she picked up the language late in life by being hardworking and open to her environment, not just childhood exposure.

Last edited:

Moses

Booting up
Skier
I met her once and she was incredibly likeable and decent, would love to see her hit her goal but even if she doesn’t, what a career - wishing her all the best.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Like most athletes at this level, her body has been through a beating.
I hope she enjoys this season and embraces whatever her future holds.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope she stays healthy and gets the record. I've been a big fan for many years. Fantastic skier

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am always worried about extreme sport athletes that announce their end of season retirement at the beginning of a season.

The commitment to perform (or resignation) is already decided and as such allows fear and lack of commitment hinder performance or worst case allow errors that allow injury to occur.

I hope that this is not the case and she finishes the season on a good note and moves on proceed with her next career without hinderence.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

Sandy_NYC

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Tricia haha! This is funny. Maybe this reveals that she has a goal of getting 90 WC wins before she retires...

Muleski

Inactive
Hmmm.

She has 82. Stenmark has 86. She needs four more to tie him, and five to beat him.

She will only be asked the question a few thousand times before she gets to the record or the season ends.

She must have been “a bit confused.”

Since the USST employs a full time publicist just for her, in addition to the full Vonntourage of agents, etc., the RedBull group...this one is sort of embarrassing. Look for a number of “HaHa....can’t believe I did that” comments and social media posts.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Math is hard.
Aw c'mon, she wasn't that far off!
I hope she doesn't try to be a commentator beyond a little insider stuff.
Look forward to see which races she does & does not race this season. Best of luck to her!
lindsey-vonn.jpg

Muleski

Inactive
Goggia is one more competitor out until the first of the year, so sure, that “helps” LV. Will be interested to see Ilka Stuhec’s early season results. She’s back from injury, and I think should be close to 100% by Lake Louise. Not a lot of news about Lara Gut. Perhaps another summer and fall, coupled with her new marriage will help? Or not. Tina Wierather is rumored to be more fit that ever, and skiing well.

I have this gut feeling that for LV to grab this she needs to get off to a fast start at Lake Louise. As much for her head and confidence as anything. She also needs to stay healthy, aka injury wise, as the tour moves to Europe. Her right knee has never quite been the same. Kind of problematic. Hope she has no issues. It has limited her time on snow.

Schedule? I assume, ideally, every SG and DH. No GS, no combined. If she is hurting, she’ll skip a couple. Could all change if she is in the hunt for a Globe. Clearly wants to be at her last FIS World Champs, and at WC Finals to wrap up the WC career.

She might be contemplating ending it at US speed Nationals, but I doubt it.

Hope it’s a good season. A lot of work, energy and resources going into it. Along with ramping up for career number two.

Her fluent German interviews impress me more than today’s math snafu!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phenomenal athlete, hope she has a great season.
Exactly. We love her for her athleticism and skill as a WC athlete.
The handful of interviews I've seen her in don't wow me for her "at the mic performance"

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
With Sofia Goggia out early due to injury this season, her odds of getting the record improve, no?
That;s for sure. With Goggia there, and with Stuhec in sort of shape she was 2 years ago, I don't think those 4 or 5 victories would be possible. Another thing will be Lake Louise... if Stuhec beats her there, I think that's it about record.

Muleski

Inactive
That;s for sure. With Goggia there, and with Stuhec in sort of shape she was 2 years ago, I don't think those 4 or 5 victories would be possible. Another thing will be Lake Louise... if Stuhec beats her there, I think that's it about record.

Agree, @Primoz, particularly about Stuhec being back, and reportedly being healthy, fit, strong and right on track to do well. {I also have a soft spot for her, as I think that having such an accomplished mom, teching for her is a great part of her story.}

We're on the same page about Lake Louise As I said LV has to get "right out of the gate" at LL. If Stuhec is easing back into this, Goggia not there, Gut perhaps not so focused, etc. LV might "steal" a couple of wins there. If she does, it positions her well. If she doesn't, I thinking getting five wins gets much tougher. I have posted for years that LV is a "complex" person. Has been since she wa a kid. She appears so bold, physically and in the public. She can be quite "fragile". Or, described is less flattering terms. When she is super confident, a lot of good stuff falls into place.

If she leaves LL with no wins, and who knows what for finishes, it could get right inside her head.

Yep, Lake Louise is critical. It's a lot more than just one series. I hope it goes well for her. If "the record" is important for her, the USST, and the sport in general.....go for it. Fingers crossed.

Sponsor

Staff online