• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have the time or energy to check this out, but LV has had a bunch of racing falls this season. At Aspen in the DH she fell after crossing the finish line, slid under the corral barrier, narrowly missing one of of barrier support posts (plastic?). If she'd made contact with the post it would have at least left a mark. In the SG she lost it and bounced off the netting. Those were just the most recent falls, but she has been experiencing a higher than usual number of accidents, or ski outs than I remember in her racing career. Should I not worry about it, or is something going on here? Are the injuries adding up in a negative manner? Really admire her racing and would hate to see her carrying on with it if it increases the possibility of some serious physical outcome. Note the word "increases". Ski racing always carries with it the possibility of injury, and even fatality.

Going 60+mph downhill on two sticks in a speed suit, on a hard packed surface, with sturdy fixed objects (like trees) just a few feet away from you can result in accidents.

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't have the time or energy to check this out, but LV has had a bunch of racing falls this season. At Aspen in the DH she fell after crossing the finish line, slid under the corral barrier, narrowly missing one of of barrier support posts (plastic?). If she'd made contact with the post it would have at least left a mark. In the SG she lost it and bounced off the netting. Those were just the most recent falls, but she has been experiencing a higher than usual number of accidents, or ski outs than I remember in her racing career. Should I not worry about it, or is something going on here? Are the injuries adding up in a negative manner? Really admire her racing and would hate to see her carrying on with it if it increases the possibility of some serious physical outcome. Note the word "increases". Ski racing always carries with it the possibility of injury, and even fatality.

Going 60+mph downhill on two sticks in a speed suit, on a hard packed surface, with sturdy fixed objects (like trees) just a few feet away from you can result in accidents.

Ski racing is one helluva drug.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
She certainly cannot be criticized for going through the motions!

LV has pretty much be always cash or crash. Absolutely fierce competitor (like many boardering on obsession). I'd expect a very focused off season and would not be surprised at all if she dominates next year (even with much improved competition). She's not that far off a number of wins this year and arguably not in the physical condition or at the same race preparation she'd like to be.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Almost all of LV's falls/crashes this year have been the result of three things. The most significant is that you can't come back mid/season, jump on the tour and get much if any SG training volume. She had almost no SG training and we hear quite a bit about how her timing is off, though getting better. Her skiing and crash yesterday were, I think, based on her timing. Underestimated her speed on the steepest part of a VERY steep hill, misjudged the distance, ran a tight line and needed six inches more room.

Secondly, LV wrecked and broke her humerus when she was still coming back from the leg injury. Not like her skiing was all dialed in at that point. And, I won't open the can of worms about her off season training. She is much leaner. As a coach pretty close to it told me "she's a lot hotter, but it's not going to help her win a globe...." She is super fit, but some people think at least 20 lbs lighter.....which changes how she needs to ski.

In a lot of these falls the same thing has happened. She leans into the hill {something she has always done to some degree.....much more when younger} and she loses her downhill ski on her right footers. All THREE of her slides at Cortina were the same. Got rattled by the terrain a bit, lost contact with the snow, leaned in rather than creating more separation. Now....right side, right ski. The right knee has the brace. The right arm has the plate in it.

That is something that she will absolutely be able to "fix" over the summer and fall prep periods. She knows it, he coaches know it, etc.

I think a lot of work may go into her skis. She has been SO much faster that the field that I think in the past she needed really "fast" skis. No question he has them. Now, we have Stuhec in the picture and she has owned the speed events on what are pretty much acknowledged to be absolute rockets. In the grippy snow at Aspen and St. Moritz, LV had some issues. Not Stuhec. My guess is that this will be a priority. Plan on the best.

LV has always thrown it down the hill. But like all of the crafty veterans, they know how do this based on their experience. They know every inch of some of these hills. As a result they tend to manage risk, and know when to do what. Particularly the women. So, as we go into next season, LV will have by far the most experience on most hills, and as much as anybody on the rest. She will know where she can just pin it.

Bottom line. I think you will see her crash a lot less next season. The point that they add up and that one really horrific one could end a career is a good, realistic and sad one. For her to chase her goals she needs to be fast and healthy. She can't focus on health and be fast, too much. But she can ski smart.

I am just excited to see her come forward with such a bold statement that "I am going after it!"
I would have bet the farm up until a month ago that there was zero chance of her skiing past next season.

She has a very strong ego. This being second fiddle to Stuhec is not how she wants to go out. Don't underestimate that. I would not underestimate Gut back gunning for the overall. And Stuhec is going to be overwhelmed with a lot of attention and a whole new set of expectations.

LV, when it comes to competing is hard as nails. Based on what we have seen as of late, my bet is that she will be a force. I would have said less than a one in ten chance back in September. And even less after the arm break. Very glad to be looking totally wrong.

Will be interesting to watch.

Last edited:

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I think Head Skis has a lot on the line if Mom-tuned boutique skis can consistently out perform them. Since they built the modern brand on race performance, now that you can point to several times through the season where their skis were slower than the competition it's gotta hurt their sales next season.

Not just LV but the men's side too... Not that I doubt the average racer wouldn't do fine on them but we know the psychology of marketing by now.

Any info on the supposed cap construction skis Wreibracht was on?

Muleski

Inactive
I think Head Skis has a lot on the line if Mom-tuned boutique skis can consistently out perform them. Since they built the modern brand on race performance, now that you can point to several times through the season where their skis were slower than the competition it's gotta hurt their sales next season.

Not just LV but the men's side too... Not that I doubt the average racer wouldn't do fine on them but we know the psychology of marketing by now.

Any info on the supposed cap construction skis Wreibracht was on?

I will say that Stuhec's mom has a great reputation as a tech. And we know that when Team Maze/Massi was going strong Stockli was producing skis that ran very well. So I think there has been something there for a while.

I know that Eliasch rolled out the Brink's truck to pay Gut to move to Head, rather than Swiss Stockli last time around. I think that Fenninger's similar size {particularly in boots} may have been a factor, too.

He is so hands on that my bet is that the race room already has marching orders that the expectation is to see a lot less Stockli on the women's podium. HaHa.

A lot of talk about the Head skis, and others not killing it at St. Moritz or Aspen. One of my friends made the comment that if Gut was winning the SG and on the DH podium, and if Svindal was winning, per usual, there might be less chatter. I think I might set some more insight over the next few weeks. Seems to be related to the snow surface over the last month. Just don't know. And I guess it also could be wax.......

My friends who carry Head skis don't think that the actual race results affect their sales. It's more that they have a lot of performance skis in the lineup, and they seen to have a lot of happy customers. It might be me but it seems like the link between race results and consumer purchases is pretty weak in the US. Other than many a U14 race coach trying to convince girls that Atomic might not be the only choice due to the MS factor! I swear that every U-10 and U-12 girl wants the MS setup!

I'm waiting on some info about AW's skis. I am guessing that they may have felt they would be a bit more forgiving on his body and ski style. The guy is both powerful and pretty beat up. I think he's had nagging knee, ankle and back problems all season. I didn't even know they ever produced a cap ski. My son used to test for them a LOT, and I never heard of any. And I heard of plenty of unique experiments!

I had never heard a thing, let alone seen anything until Bode made that comment on NBC. Learn something new from him all the time.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Didn't Bode use a new never skied before "incredible" cap ski at Torino in '06? I remember him allegedly switching skis right before the race. Which didn't go well.

Interesting about LV's lean in issue. I do recall her at Lake Louise doing a snow hip check on a right footer.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
And, I won't open the can of worms about her off season training. She is much leaner. As a coach pretty close to it told me "she's a lot hotter, but it's not going to help her win a globe...." She is super fit, but some people think at least 20 lbs lighter.....which changes how she needs to ski.

I did a double take at the DH podium. When LV, Stuhec and Goggia were on the podium. Did you see how much bigger Goggias legs were?!?! It's not like she's got an Anja Parson thing going on, it looks like she's been squatting Iveco trucks in the off season.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I did a double take at the DH podium. When LV, Stuhec and Goggia were on the podium. Did you see how much bigger Goggias legs were?!?! It's not like she's got an Anja Parson thing going on, it looks like she's been squatting Iveco trucks in the off season.

Likewise with Gut and a thousand other shorter female athletes.

It's pretty hot imho.

Muleski

Inactive
Lot of discussion, guys, about how Goggia needs to work a lot more at her fitness. Has been running out of gas in the bottom on many runs. Also gassed in training. Kind of the opposite of MS. Gut is reported to be exceptionally fit, as is Wierather. Both are "sturdy."

Our daughter was a pretty highly ranked speed skier, who used to go ballistic when a doctor would throw her height and weight into a matrix and say "borderline obese." Reallly??
Funny stuff looking back on it.

LV up close and personal looks very different that she did a couple of years ago. Much thinner. Will be interesting to see what she looks like in October. Gut, I believe added some muscle mass last spring and summer.
Tina W hit the gym hard after her most recent surgeries.

Now as Frankly notes, Lara Gut is about 5'2" on a good day. They say that Tessa Worley is 5' and I swear she and LG are real close in height. Now I'm a touch over 5' 10", and when both wearing sneakers of ski boots, I look up a lot to LV. She's got to be 6'. Tall woman, unless she's standing next to Bode's wife. She's 6'3".

I bet we see a slightly bigger LV, and slightly smaller Goggia.

On some of the other stuff, don't know about Bode and the Torino magic cap skis. He was still on Atomic then. Signed with Head that spring. I will say that Bode has tested a lot of pretty funky skis over the years. Some of thise tests were literally about 3-4 turns!

Vonn hipping out at LL must have been a while ago? She'll get that "fixed". The more she skis in her tuck, the less it happens {any lean}. She and Gut seem to be in a tuck more than anybody. Stuhec, too.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Vonn is retuning to Vail, extending her career one more year (at least) and hosting a 1960's themed charity party for the Lindsey Vonn Foundation

IF YOU GO …

What: après-Ski Chic Extraordinaire — a 1960s-themed party to support The Lindsey Vonn Foundation.

Where: The 10th at Mid-Vail, Vail Mountain.

When: Friday, March 31, 7-11 p.m.

Cost: The event is open to the public. A fundraising party ticket costs $300. Young professionals 35 and younger can get a two-for-one ticket. The VIP Ski Run with Lindsey is $1,500.

More information: There will be a 10-piece band and silent auction, including gear, gift cards and more. Money raised goes toward The Lindsey Vonn Foundation, helping inspire and empower young women. To RSVP to the party, visit http://www.lindseyvonnfoundation.org.

Last edited:
TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The one I heard a lot about re: increased strength for this season was Stuhec. Aparently she changed her program rather much (lots of resources freed up after Maze retiring) and pre season physical training on a new level for her. She came into the season "much stronger" according to herself.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is an interesting bit of human interest from Outside Online.
An Open Letter from Lindsey Vonn's Skeletal System
Snip from Open Letter

But seeing as we’re still in recovery from a training crash at Copper Mountain last fall that left one of our members literally in pieces (poor Right Humerus), to bite our tongue now would only invite more calamity (no disrespect to you, Lower Mandible). The Lindsey that the public sees might be all flowing hair, alabaster teeth, and blushed cheeks, but the inner Lindsey is hurting.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
This is an interesting bit of human interest from Outside Online.
An Open Letter from Lindsey Vonn's Skeletal System
Snip from Open Letter

But seeing as we’re still in recovery from a training crash at Copper Mountain last fall that left one of our members literally in pieces (poor Right Humerus), to bite our tongue now would only invite more calamity (no disrespect to you, Lower Mandible). The Lindsey that the public sees might be all flowing hair, alabaster teeth, and blushed cheeks, but the inner Lindsey is hurting.

If that doesn't creep her out enough to never ever do anything with Outside magazine... she might want to date Tiger again.

Outside magazine is the E! Joan Rivers of outdoors. They treat photographers like doo-doo too.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Lindsey posted throwback pictures yesterday. She has come quite a ways from those pics. Determination!

There are 5 pics you can scroll through.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Even if she passes Stenmark, she'll still be behind freestyler Conny Kissling's total wins: 106

2018-04-21 23_14_55-KISSLING Conny - Biographie.png

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't think it goes over different disciplines, but if so, then even Kissling is behind Bjoergen with WC 114 victories (plus god knows how many more if you count relays), 8 Olympic golds and 118 WCH gold medals.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
I don't think it goes over different disciplines, but if so, then even Kissling is behind Bjoergen with WC 114 victories (plus god knows how many more if you count relays), 8 Olympic golds and 118 WCH gold medals.
WOW! I wasn't aware of that. I just wanted to give Kissling some credit in this thread since it is also an incredible feat.