• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lindsay Vonn Documentary

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
HBO has made a documentary on Lindsay Vonn's Final Season and is going to air sometime in November, as they say "check your local listings" for date and time.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
HBO has made a documentary on Lindsay Vonn's Final Season and is going to air sometime in November, as they say "check your local listings" for date and time.

November 26th is what I heard from HBO

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Now I’m just waiting for a F1 ”Drive to Survive”-type of documentary series that takes in a whole World Cup Season.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So has anyone seen it yet? How is it? Not available on HBO Nordic at this point.

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I watched it last night, it was interesting. Not sure if they planned for her to last longer. The show was 90 minutes long and had a lot of repeated scenes. If she had finished the season they would have had more footage and maybe less repeated scenes. It did show the difficult rehabilitation she had to go through and the pain that she suffered. After watching it you do understand why she retired, her body just gave out from all the injury. She will always be a great champion and you can't help but admire her. It is well worth the time so watch and enjoy.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I watched today. Couple of interesting things, first being Teton Gravity doing the film (which was cool). Interesting to hear about all the family drama - couldn’t have been easy and didn’t know. I was genuinely sad for her at the end, you could sympathize with the only life she had ever known coming to an end. While everyone kept saying to her “it’s her decision” on when to quit - felt like there was some self serving going on there (just my cynical nature) on others for her to keep going. I personally could understand the shit that travel is, esp. the times alone far from home and the feeling of getting “used up” by others -i’m not an pro athlete, but a high level individual contributor for my firm - I’ve said many times in my head “just one more year”. At the end, you could tell she was just done with it and battling what she knew in her heart against the goal she had set for the WC wins and knowing it wasn’t going to happen. <- that part was sad.

Genuinely happy she was on the podium in Are. Wish her well and hope she finds joy in years to come.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
A warrior. A champion. Complex. Inspired. Inspiring. Feel fortunate to have witnessed her career in real time.

Last edited:

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I loved it. I'll probably watch it again tonight. I don't think I really learned anything new about her, having followed her career as it was unfolding, but still, it was really well done and lots of great footage.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Definitely worth watching- a lot of parallels with other athlete's struggles, be it time or superior opponents, or both. Her entire life was skiing.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
We watched it last night. I loved it and my heart broke for her. A true competitor - she had the mental will, but her body just couldn't perform. I couldn't imagine watching my dream have to end like that. I can only imagine the pressure she put on herself and felt indirectly from her team, knowing she was responsible for their careers. I wish her all the best in her next chapter and I look forward to seeing what she does.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looking at the knee x-rays and MRIs (paused the video several times to get a decent look), she will ski with some significant amount of pain the rest of her life.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just watched it. She's such an inspiration and I'm so happy to have been able to watch her career. I hope she's not in too much pain going forward. The sacrifices she made with her body are unreal. It was heartbreaking to watch her come to the realization that she couldn't continue.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Watched it last night. Loved it. Inspiring. True warrior. You could see her frustration with her body giving out but her heart and mind still wanting to race ... had to have been a tough time. Amazing that she was skiing that well at the end with all of her issues.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting article in Powder this month about her. She sold her house in Vail and moved to New Jersey. I guess that she really is done with skiing for a while.

James

Out There
Instructor
Seeing it clears up any question why she pulled the plug last year. Doing her final races at Are is even more impressive given that right lower leg didn’t work a lot of the time. Besides the knees being shot.

“Can’t you just put a Band-Aid on it?”
Seemed like the doc might have been speechless for a bit.

Hard to tell with no context if comments of some around her were just the usual trying to get her over a hump of negativity. Could’ve been the exact same words they said before to get her out of a funk. It probably was a shock to them too when they realized she really was serious about being done and not skiing anymore. Finished.

The new documentary answers the question posed in this fine short piece:

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online