• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've always thought that flights to Mammoth were pricey, but this seems to be a heck of a deal if you're flying in from DEN, SFO, or LAX.
I know that Andy Wirth worked hard with the Reno Airport to get more direct flights into RNO, so it doesn't surprise me that Alterra could be working on it in Mammoth.

Fly from Cities All Over the Country with these Limited-Time Fares
Starting at $105* One Way | Must Book by Oct 22, 2018
United Airlines is dropping prices on flights to Mammoth Lakes so you can score savings on travel for all your winter getaways. With new daily winter non-stop flights from LAX, SFO and DEN on United Airlines, getting here has never been easier. Save now on direct flights to Mammoth, as well as on connecting flights from cities all over the country.

Valid for travel Dec 1, 2018 – March 11, 2019 (blackout dates apply).

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always thought that flights to Mammoth were pricey, but this seems to be a heck of a deal if you're flying in from DEN, SFO, or LAX.
I know that Andy Wirth worked hard with the Reno Airport to get more direct flights into RNO, so it doesn't surprise me that Alterra could be working on it in Mammoth.

Fly from Cities All Over the Country with these Limited-Time Fares
Starting at $105* One Way | Must Book by Oct 22, 2018
United Airlines is dropping prices on flights to Mammoth Lakes so you can score savings on travel for all your winter getaways. With new daily winter non-stop flights from LAX, SFO and DEN on United Airlines, getting here has never been easier. Save now on direct flights to Mammoth, as well as on connecting flights from cities all over the country.

Valid for travel Dec 1, 2018 – March 11, 2019 (blackout dates apply).
Do they put you on a catapult and launch it from LAX?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Part of the fun for me was always driving to mammoth. When we head out to mammoth at some point we'll likely do that again. Easy drive and I love the little towns along the way. I never minded the drive. Some people aren't road trip people and would rather get on a plane so to each his own. Glad there's affordable options to fly there. I trust there's a shuttle to bring you the rest of the way after you land in the airport.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
LAX is the furthest from Mammoth

Compared to what? DEN is further.

That's a very good deal. It would be ~$400 for me round-trip from DC, via DEN. Too bad I don't think I can fit another trip in this season.

It is a little limited though... you can only fly out Sunday through Wednesday, and only fly back Tuesday through Friday. So no Saturday flights. And it's the "basic economy" seating that United and American and some others have now, which only allows a personal item that fits under the seat. If you want to take a real carry on bag, you pay more.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Compared to what? DEN is further.

That's a very good deal. It would be ~$400 for me round-trip from DC, via DEN. Too bad I don't think I can fit another trip in this season.

It is a little limited though... you can only fly out Sunday through Wednesday, and only fly back Tuesday through Friday. So no Saturday flights. And it's the "basic economy" seating that United and American and some others have now, which only allows a personal item that fits under the seat. If you want to take a real carry on bag, you pay more.
Ooof, I was thinking RNO and FSO not DEN. My bad.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another thought ... a lot of times, flights cannot get into or out of Mammoth due to high winds. I still think it's a better choice to fly to Reno and drive from there. I have flown from SoCal twice. Both times, it worked out about the same as drive time. By the time, I got to the airport (SD) and waited to board, sat on the tarmac, waited for luggage in Mammoth, and waited for transport from the airport ... it was darn close to driving!

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
[QUOTE="surfsnowgirl, post: 273449, member: 920" Easy drive and I love the little towns along the way. I never minded the drive.[/QUOTE]

With no traffic I agree with you, but Friday night out of LA going to Mammoth is not an "easy drive." Very interesting drive from LA, Reno and Las Vegas for different reasons. Mammoth lives up to the name.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another thought ... a lot of times, flights cannot get into or out of Mammoth due to high winds. I still think it's a better choice to fly to Reno and drive from there. I have flown from SoCal twice. Both times, it worked out about the same as drive time. By the time, I got to the airport (SD) and waited to board, sat on the tarmac, waited for luggage in Mammoth, and waited for transport from the airport ... it was darn close to driving!
And you hava all of you stuff...in your own car. I agree, Reno is a pretty safe option and less than three hours to drive from there to Mammoth...and beautiful drive at that. Could weather be concern for the drive? Sure, but if it's that bad...chances are you ain't flying into Mammoth at that point either. Plus, chances are you have an Ikon pass, so just hit Squaw/Alpine until you can get to Mammoth.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
[QUOTE="surfsnowgirl, post: 273449, member: 920" Easy drive and I love the little towns along the way. I never minded the drive.

Definitely an interesting drive. Did it on many, many friday nights for years and came home Sunday. Never minded it. Once you get out of LA I always thought it was fine. My ladies and i would have a blast. I'm a road trip girl though so that's just me.

Beautiful drive between tahoe and mammoth when I've done it in the summer.

I LOVE mammoth.

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely an interesting drive. Did it on many, many friday nights for years and came home Sunday. Never minded it. Once you get out of LA I always thought it was fine. My ladies and i would have a blast. I'm a road trip girl though so that's just me.

Beautiful drive between tahoe and mammoth when I've done it in the summer.

I LOVE mammoth.
When you come out next time, we'll have to plan a big SoCal meet up!

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OMG that would make my day, month, year......we will be out in October of 2019. Hanging at Oktoberfest in Big Bear but spending about 10 days in SoCal.

:beercheer:
Well that will be too early for skiing, but we will all have a good excuse to drink copious amounts of beer! We have a spare bedroom. It's all yours if you want it.

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
unfortunately none of these deals apply to me, but this reminded me so I just booked my flight to reno/mammoth late march anyway.

Sponsor

Staff online