• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Alright alright I will start buying cliff bars, I promise to have a couple on my weekend Mammoth trips.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Alright alright I will start buying cliff bars, I promise to have a couple on my weekend Mammoth trips.
Honestly, I'm not a fan of the original Clif Bars, but I love the Bloks and the Mojo bars. There are options in the Clif family.

Reactions: BC.

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
Great Flick as they would say back in those days. I remember going to see it in the theater when it came to town w/my parents and older sister. I own it and dust it off from time to time. It’s still relevant.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
@Tricia,

How can you not like the original.....you obviously need to try every single flavor!

Also try the Luna bars, in particular Lemon Zest flavor. Huge with my wife, and daughter. I steal them from them often!

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
My daughter likes the Kid Z bars for pocket snacks on the hill. Says they don’t freeze into a rock and taste pretty good.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly, I'm not a fan of the original Clif Bars, but I love the Bloks and the Mojo bars. There are options in the Clif family.

On ski days, especially on trips.....I almost always have Bloks in my pocket.....great blood sugar pick me up...Love all the flavors......but Orange is my go to!

Actually, your quote/this thread reminded me to go onto Experticity site to load up on Clif products for the season!....gotta get me box of Bloks.

:hail:

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
As for the supported Euro versus impoverished American athletes, we have it totally out of wack. Our colleges lavishly support imbecilic mutant steroidal criminals with decadent lifestyles... if they play football or basketball. I used to visit a friend at Notre Dame 35 years ago and also went to University of Oregon so I saw how spoiled and awful some (not all) of these guys were, I have zero respect.

Simply don't give scholarships to people who can't do the academic work or lack good character. Let sports fans discover alternatives. Better yet let some colleges close if they are so poorly managed they need to exploit human horseflesh.

As for skiing, college supported ski racing programs should be the default, traditional way for Americans to advance to World Cup skiing. Stop giving scholarships to foreign athletes and develop homegrown talent instead. Then if they've had a productive college racing career, they'll be mature and peaking at 21-22 years old and ready for the demands of international racing.... seems so obvious.

Who else beside Shiffren had to be on the WC at 17? And even then we could argue that MS would be in even better shape if she had four years of school under her belt and attacked at 21. (Knowing her she'd probably finish college in two years anyway.)

Back to reality RE: fundraising. Even if I had a billion and could afford to fully bankroll the USST I wouldn't because it doesn't seem to be well run. It's a chicken or egg kind of dilemma but they have to show better management to allow me to justify giving them money.

Last edited:

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lila was pretty far down the results in the Nor-am GS today at Copper. Along with Resi and Alice Robinson. Tough field with Goggia and Bassino racing -- they both had some trouble in 2nd run and ended in 4 and 5th.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
@Frankly,

I think there is some middle ground to be worked. The NCAA ranks, by themselves are very competitive, with or wth the Euros. And I really do not know how to prevent the Euro's or Canadians form coming to the USA. In the East, petty are at schools that offer no athletic scholarships. Only two offer scholarships, UNH and UVM, and there "full ride" is very rare. As it is in the West, in the RIMSA, these days.

So, to be able to ski on a six person carnival team at one of the better NCAA teams, it's pretty much acknowledged and is standard procedure for kids to take at least one PG year. Our daughter only took one. Our son took two, and almost a third. The NCAA has a a lot of kids who were in the US system, or the Canadian system. So, they are old. not uncommon to arrive on campus at 21.

That paradigm may be shifting a bit, and will if the NCCA is viewed as a good path, fairly early on. Maybe take on "gap" or PG year to ski, then go to college. Don't chase the team dream, or wash out of the team system at 22 and then start college.

The big, big plus that the USA offers is the NorAm schedule. That is great racing, on great surfaces. The Norwegians quickly concluded that this was better than the Europa Cup. It is. If you are in a college that will support your skiing, and let you ski a full NorAm schedule as well as college races {it is doable.....takes a lot of work, and really managing your time as a student}, that is a great program.

Unfortunately in the East, that is very hard. Two universities seem to be fine with that. Most of the other "elite" colleges make it very difficult. I know a number of coaches who cringe when a recruit asks if their school will pay for all of his NorAm entries, which leads to the conversation that the academic side of the house will not let him miss many classes. Typically may two days a semester, with a "Dean's excuse", if you are not skiing in a college race. I have tried to advocate for just a bit of change, and three schools, where I have "pretty good" relationships. AD has fully supported it. Dean of Faculty and President have shot it down. Frustrating when the Hockey teams are playing 40 games all over the country. So, yeah, a few tweaks could make it more attractive.

And we're not even touching on being in school with age group peers, the social stuff.....and oh, by the way, picking up a degree. We have some NCAA alums on the team now, and a few who are a semester or so short. All sorts of varying opinions. Some have gone to school, been picked up by the team, dropped after a season, and returned to school. Some then chase the dream, some have zero interest.

Frankly, the success of the Norwegians in particular at the NCAA level has opened eyes. You have two men, and two women who are very legit WC skiers, and NCAA All-Americans {some tongue in cheek there.} The rosters of the east three years have been stacked, and not by accident.

I'd love to see the NCAA/College route be the norm. No chance without some change. Look at the rest of the world, and some of the kids on the WC, particularly the women. MS is an outlier, for us, and to a large degree for the world. But 16, 17, 18 year old women skiing a full WC schedule is not abnormal.

It sure needs a fix, and some new thinking!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On ski days, especially on trips.....I almost always have Bloks in my pocket.....great blood sugar pick me up...Love all the flavors......but Orange is my go to!

Actually, your quote/this thread reminded me to go onto Experticity site to load up on Clif products for the season!....gotta get me box of Bloks.

:hail:
I'm a big fan of Strawberry. Not a fan of cherry.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
@K2 Rat,

I know that you know this, but it might be interesting for some others.

Lila was at her best, pre injury, ranked in the 40's in the world in SL, and headed lower. Right now she's ranked around 100. She's working that down. He GS WR has been around 200, for a few years. Her strength is SL, but she has been a competent GS skier. We'll see how this goes. I think we'll see her make big moves in SL, and to a lesser degree in GS.

Resi is really a SL skier. Her world rank is in the teens, I think. He GS WR is over 300. So that was a decent day for Resi as well.

Alice Robinson is in her first year as a FIS skier, and this level of racing, are and in Europe, is going to be a tougher challenge than her summer in Australia and NZ. She had a phenomenal summer. She's right now got a WR in GS of 130, with just over 16 points. Smoking anybody her age by a huge margin. Her SL points are great for a first year in November, around 50, with a WR of about 600. It will be interesting to see how this year works out for her, how they manage her schedule and training, etc. She is very young.

My hunch is that her 16 point GS profile may be a bit "strong" for right now. She may be skiing to those points consistently before too long. By any measure for a first year U19, 16 years old, she is a fast one! Wow.

Not surprised by the results. Actually somewhat surprised that Resi is there skiing GS. Her chance of scoring WC points even if the team chooses to start her are pretty minimal. And the GS does not have many slots right now, after Killington. SL is a whole different story for her; she should be a threat for top 10's. And she is always just fun to have in the field. Loves life.

Lila has some GS work to do, and will. Season is so early.

I have no insight as to the actual events of day, who may have had problems. mistakes, etc. which might have affected times. Maybe we have a Pugger who was there. All of my sources are too busy to share any info.

Nice day for Mitch Gagnon, the winner, BTW. She might have a very good year.

Some impressive skiing by the guys....including some current and recent NCAA guys.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Sorry to thread drift you all......just one more reply to T......lol.....just finished my order to Clif...a box o orange and a box o strawberry Bloks. Can I actually eat 36 packages?..yikes.

Easily. I think they include about five food groups. You can live on the things. Heck you can eat 36 in a week!
Good drifting, BTW!!

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Easily. I think they include about five food groups. You can live on the things. Heck you can eat 36 in a week!
Good drifting, BTW!!

I have!!!

In the few trips I get assigned to work in India I typically take enough “bars” with me to last the week. One week in particular I ate NOTHING but bars I brought with me. It was the first of a 4 week trip with the last week also in India, both weeks in Delhi. The middle two were in Australia and New Zealand. The last week of the trip in Delhi I branched out and had some local food. I survived, but was also very careful.

Trust me, you can live on Cliff Bars for a week. Those things are good!

Last edited:
TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
The USS&S board members are listed here.

Some are affiliated with "Foundation".

Who are the directors of the Austrian Ski Federation, and what are their affiliations? Anyone know?

The organization is a bit confusing. The Foundation is the essentially the friend raising and fundraising organization. The Foundation Tristees are the folks that support the organization, for the most part financially with significant donations.

The board of directors, as you'll see is made up of people who are part of the organization, with a variety of backgrounds. Some are athletes elected from each discipline, both past and present. Some are elected to the board to represent the Trustees of the Foundation, and some are "At Large" members of the board {I think all are Foundation Trustees, as well, BTW}.

So Foundation tony thinking is fundraising, development, marketing, awareness, etc.

The Board of Directors are the group to which the CEO, Tiger Shaw, reports. I am 99.99% sure than in typical non-profit governance, he is the only employee who reports to the board.

Want to join the board? Love the sport, have connected friends already involved, be prepared to give A LOT of money, and syou might be asked to join the Foundation Board. Then work, make an impression, show some insight, talent and wisdom, and be prepared donate even more money if you are ever asked to serve on the BOD.

That's my understanding.

The Austrian Federation? Seriously? That's a bit out of my wheelhouse.

USSA {I can't use the new name yet} gets NOT a single dime of Government funding. None. The Austrians? Pretty significantly different, to my understanding.

Sponsor