• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Muleski

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Just, FYI:

Lila was the top American in today's NorAm at Loveland. She was 6th, bad thing was almost 3 seconds out. However it's just the start of a long season! Beaten by a number of WCers.
Good day!

Maybe somebody was there? My hunch is maybe a mistake first run.

And so it begins!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Just the start of a long season. Nothing to do cartwheels over, but a good start. She was solid yesterday, as well. Evidently made on mistake coming onto the flat which probably cost her a second.

With this team and one on one, or two on one coaching, it will be much easier to for her work on the kinks. The young lady has jets!

Go Clif!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not really rocket science sorting out the USST. Just like any failing business, needs a hostile takeover followed by a clear out of existing management - and especially the hangers on masquerading as important people in the structure! - a very serious look at the current coaching staff ( and probably clearing out most of them I'm afraid) then restructuring the organization into effectively 2 separate divisions. One tasked with raising funds - with some serious targets! - and the other tasked with developing and training the athletes, with a development section as well, with a budget that reflects properly supporting the team. And then get rid of all the unnecessary boondoggles and bureaucrats...

Clear focus and clear targets. After all the team cars say USSSA not NASA......

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If any of you have watched "Downhill Racer" (1969) as many times as I have, you probably remember the scene with Gene Hackman trying to raise financial support: " we have the athletes, the mountains, but in the richest country on earth, we don't have the money" It has always been this way, just currently what $$ are available are particularly poorly allocated.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If any of you have watched "Downhill Racer" (1969) as many times as I have, you probably remember the scene with Gene Hackman trying to raise financial support: " we have the athletes, the mountains, but in the richest country on earth, we don't have the money" It has always been this way, just currently what $$ are available are particularly poorly allocated.
These people are stewards of this money and the team. I'm not sure they understand what stewardship means.

For the clip.
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1254051/Downhill-Racer-Movie-Clip-The-American-Way-Of-Life.html

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its a great movie.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You are joking right? Kikkan had to have part time job to get through? Really?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"she would train in the morning, wolf down a sandwich, wait on shoe store customers much of the day, then go home and train some more after that. It was grueling and not necessarily the best approach.

"The amount of training you have to do and the amount of energy you have to expend during the day doesn't leave a whole lot of time or energy to work a part-time job," Randall says. "And yet, we eat a lot. We need resources like massage and special equipment and travel, and we're spending the better part of the year over in Europe where things aren't cheap."

Not cheap? Try around $50,000 in travel, lodging, meals and assorted expenses for a World Cup season. To stretch the thin budget, both the U.S. women and men are doing most of their own cooking this season."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, Primoz, you are right, she was able to drop the shoe store job the Olympic year after some non-US team sponsors stepped up, like "Subway Restaurants of Alaska"

Attachments

• kikken.JPG
    kikken.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 4

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
These people are stewards of this money and the team. I'm not sure they understand what stewardship means.

For the clip.
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1254051/Downhill-Racer-Movie-Clip-The-American-Way-Of-Life.html

I wondered if there was a clip, but didn't imagine there really was one...wow, the information age! My quote wasn't too bad though, guess I could remember stuff back then. Thanks for digging that up. And yes, anyone who has not watched that movie, needs to.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@newfydog shit... I would never imagine this. I mean I had maybe 1% of her results, probably even less then this, yet I still didn't need to work during my racing times. Not that I would get rich, but with a bit of help from my parents I somehow managed to survive through the year. I agree things in skiing are different for us then they are for you guys, if nothing else, most of races are happening in basically driving distance, and you don't need to spend 4 or 5 months on the other side of the world and in hotels, but still. We had expenses paid, we got some "scholarship" or whatever it should called, we got equipment and all training camps were paid. Even for guys not on national team, they had most of this stuff covered by their clubs, so parents didn't need to take loan for kids (well when they are 20+ it's hard to call them kids :D) to be racing (yeah I know it's changing even here, especially when it comes to alpine skiing, as xc is still relatively cheap here).
So that's why I was really surprised when you said she had side job. I though with her results, she would be living easily from skiing, even in US.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier

The best athletes in the USA are mostly playing other sports due to location and to a lesser level, money. This has always been the rule, with a few exceptions who grow up in or near the mountains and /or have money to ski and parents who ski. The best ski racer in the US might be playing high school football in Texas, but we will never know. This will never change.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The best athletes in the USA are mostly playing other sports due to location and to a lesser level, money. This has always been the rule, with a few exceptions who grow up in or near the mountains and /or have money to ski and parents who ski. The best ski racer in the US might be playing high school football in Texas, but we will never know. This will never change.

USA Soccer really suffers from the above!

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am having trouble finding Downhill Racer on a watchable platform

Anyone have a link or care to Dropbox me a copy?

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Yes, I've heard a few coaches suggest that LeBron probably could have been a pretty fair DHer! Pick the sport, pick the top athletes, and imagine if they had been on snow all of their lives. Scary. How about the Williams sisters? Our only ski athlete in recent years who could possibly flip the other way is probably Bode. Bode is a freakish athlete.

Based on the typical "physical testing" done by the USST at the Center of Excellence, my guess is that LeBron would pretty much set records at everything, HaHa!

You're right, it's not a new topic. Been this way for the 50 plus years that I've been around the sport.

Some who've been in the business for longer than me, and really live it, are quite concerned that today it's very difficult even for a kid who grows up in many a mountain town. Now it has to be the right mountain town, and the kid better have wealthy parents, or a very wealthy and supportive community behind him. That is why we see families relocating to those towns, or at the least young athletes entering ski academies as early as possible.

It is very troubling for a number of people that really put US ski racing on the map. They describe it as rich kid's sport, with most kids coming from metro areas, even if they relocated to the mountains and the right clubs as toddlers. I think that's a bit extreme, but the sport does cost an awful lot of money. What they say is that the kid from a hard working family of modest means, even growing up in the mountains, has an enormous challenge ahead of him. I get very enthused when I see thosekids being well supported to make the dreams attainable.

The countries that we compete with have somewhat different approaches, but even there, a lot of the field comes from very well to do families. Can't ignore the reality of things.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
USA Soccer really suffers from the above!
I mentioned this in another thread - with the slow demise of US football, more and more D1 talent might be participating in soccer. Imagine if some D1 dbacks, receivers, running backs, qbs and even some TEs and linebackers were playing soccer, the USA would easily compete with the best in the world. Throw in some D1 basketball talent and the USA would be unbeatable.ogwink