• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lightweight tripod

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Any recommendations for light weight tripod, to tour with, one that extends to 65"?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Depends. For stills and/or video? What camera do you plan on using?

stills. camera and lens would be about 6 lbs. Landscape and portrait. Panorama's of mountainscapes and close-ups of snowflakes. For creative photography. Quick setup and breakdown would also be nice.

Monopod capability would also be nice. Oh, and collapses to a small size. You know, the perfect tripod.

Last edited:
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Any recommendations for a lightweight tripod, to tour with, for a still camera? extendable to 65". Up to 6 lbs, maybe 8lbs camera and lens; (hence everything else needs to be light.) Landscape and portrait photos. Long distance panorama's to zoomed in snowflakes to action shots. Quick setup and breakdown would be nice. Not a lot of loose parts to pack or lose either. Oh yeah, collapses to a small size.

I posted both here and in the Backcountry forum since, there, folks would know a thing or two about lightweight gear for touring applications. But, here, folks know a thing or two about photography gear. So, take your pick which OP to respond to.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Recently bought the below from B&H for $299.95 after thorough research. So far works as well as my old similar Induro I used about a decade. One can certainly spend a lot more. As a backpacker I didn't want anything over 3.5#. Note legs without head.

Oben CT-2361 Carbon Fiber Tripod

oben_ct_2361_3_section_carbon_fiber_1495139297000_864595.jpg

https://www.obensupports.com/product/3242/Oben-CT_2361-3_Section-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod-Legs

Load Capacity
17.6 lbs / 8 kg
Maximum Working Height
60" / 152.4 cm
Max Height without Center Column
50" / 127 cm
Minimum Working Height
5.9" / 15 cm
Folded Length
22.5" / 57.2 cm
Head Mount Type
1/4"-20 Screw, 3/8"-16 Screw
Weight
2.4 lbs / 1.1 kg
Materials
Carbon Fiber
Bubble Level
Yes
Legs
Leg Lock Type
Twist Lock
Independent Leg Spread
Yes
Leg Sections
Leg Diameter
1" / 25.4 mm
Tripod Feet Features
Spiked, Retractable
Center Column
Center Column Features
Split
Center Column Sections
Center
Column Extension Type
Rapid

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I can't say for tripod, as I use it so little that my old alu Manfrotto still works more then good enough for that little usage it gets, but for monpod, which I use "slightly" more, I'm pretty happy with Sirui. It's some Chinese stuff, but super cheap (about 100eur for superlight carbon, 6 section monopod that easily holds (with no wobbling or issues) 500/4 or 600/4 lens and 1dx... on step icy WC course :) and works good, so honestly it's way better option then 6 or 7 times more expensive Gitzo. Not to mentions it folds nicely into super compact stick (thanks to 6 sections), that fits nicely into photo backpack. They have also whole bunch tripods for pretty good price. Considering this is under backcountry, I assume you will be carrying it into backcountry... so skip alu and go with carbon. It's more expensive, but believe me weight difference is worth the money.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
I have both a large Manfrotto, and a small Sirui myself. The Manfrotto will probably go to 65" easily, but is over 2 feet long collapsed and fairly heavy. The Sirui is pretty nice for the price - sturdy and pretty light, collapses small (14"). But it only goes to like 45" without extending the center column, and even then won't get close to 65". Mine are both aluminum.

Personally I like flip-locks more than twist locks, but the twist locks do work well. I wouldn't put anything too big on the Sirui, but I've had my Oly 40-150/2.8 on it, and it was OK. This is the Sirui I have (or the closest one they have now - mine's a few years old), though I have a Manfrotto mini-ball head on mine :

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...RT1005_T_1005X_5_Section_Aluminum_Tripod.html

I think their current equivalent would be this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...1005y_1_series_aluminum_5_section_tripod.html

Last edited:
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Recently bought the below from B&H for $299.95 after thorough research. So far works as well as my old similar Induro I used about a decade. One can certainly spend a lot more. As a backpacker I didn't want anything over 3.5#. Note legs without head.

Oben CT-2361 Carbon Fiber Tripod

oben_ct_2361_3_section_carbon_fiber_1495139297000_864595.jpg

https://www.obensupports.com/product/3242/Oben-CT_2361-3_Section-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod-Legs

Load Capacity
17.6 lbs / 8 kg
Maximum Working Height
60" / 152.4 cm
Max Height without Center Column
50" / 127 cm
Minimum Working Height
5.9" / 15 cm
Folded Length
22.5" / 57.2 cm
Head Mount Type
1/4"-20 Screw, 3/8"-16 Screw
Weight
2.4 lbs / 1.1 kg
Materials
Carbon Fiber
Bubble Level
Yes
Legs
Leg Lock Type
Twist Lock
Independent Leg Spread
Yes
Leg Sections
Leg Diameter
1" / 25.4 mm
Tripod Feet Features
Spiked, Retractable
Center Column
Center Column Features
Split
Center Column Sections
Center
Column Extension Type
Rapid

What is your experience regarding its stability? I read one user review that says it’s wobbly once mounting a DSLR. I'd be mounting a small camera when skiing, but up to 7 lbs if it's a dslr

Last edited:

SSSdave

Skier
Haven't used it much yet but as noted it seems about the same as my old similar Induro that has an almost identical design. It definitely is not a cheap wobbly design as I've used plenty of cheap smaller tripods to know what that is about. Note I also own a big Gitzo carbon tripod for my Wisner 4x5.

I focus stack blend most of my landscapes using an A6000 that requires shooting then touching the 4-way button to move my focus points before shooting again rapidly after actuating my infrared shutter release. That requires any vibrations quickly subside and by habit often look at the camera back before doing so. If it was blurring images would have noticed as am extremely sharpness oriented. In any case, someone with long heavy lenses and a mediocre head might have longer vibration tendencies on anything but significantly heavier tripods. And some of course shoot during windy conditions I never waste my time on, that also requires more size and weight to be stable.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
using an A6000 that requires shooting then touching the 4-way button to move my focus points before shooting again rapidly after actuating my infrared shutter release. That requires any vibrations quickly subside and by habit often look at the camera back before doing so. If it was blurring images would have noticed as am extremely sharpness oriented

You are referring to the A6000 on the Oben I guess. What weight would you estimate that the Oben is supporting for you, with lens?

SSSdave

Skier
Hah...my APC-c is small. The body is 16.0oz and my heaviest lens 12.1oz though the two primes I use the most are 6.9oz and 9.4oz. But I wouldn't worry about putting my old Wisner 4x5 or Pentax 6x7 on if needed though less than ideal.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Hah...my APC-c is small. The body is 16.0oz and my heaviest lens 12.1oz though the two primes I use the most are 6.9oz and 9.4oz. But I wouldn't worry about putting my old Wisner 4x5 or Pentax 6x7 on if needed though less than ideal.

I looked up the A6000. That's an awesome camera